The difference between ADHD and Aspergers

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2009, 11:47 pm

I know ADHD can be mis-dx'd when it's really Aspergers sometimes. So whats the difference.

When is it ADHD and when is it more?

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2009, 2:02 am

60 hits and no replys?

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:43 am

here's what I do know....ADHD usually goes hand in hand with something else; I have both.

angelicgoddess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2009, 3:35 am

I'm diagnosed with ADD and tried ritalin. It made me totally autistic. Sometimes I wonder whether I've constructed an overenhousiastic hyper alter ego to hide the fact that I'm actually a total aspie. My brother is as aspergers as they get and he used to get beat up a lot when i was little. I must have seen that and figured "no way" and put effort in getting pseudo social.

As a result people tend to think I'm a socially clever/popular yet dumb girl, untill they see my test scores or hear about education history. I can't 'do' both either... I'm either social, kinda cute yet naively dumb or autistic and smart. Social interactions are a lot harder to maintain though, whenever I go to sleep exhausted it's always because I had a social day, I never get tired from mental work or reading for example.

Being autistic is seen as a bad thing (and as you see above, I used to think so too); maybe people think it's being self centered and egoistic... I hang with AD(H)D people a lot and they all seem te prefer having an ADD diagnosis over Autism/aspergers. They mostly seem to be a little autistic in their behavior yet they are totally in serious denial of any autistic symptoms...

But hey; thats just my theory!

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 3:42 am

Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), I don't have it so I have no knowledge about it apart from what the words mean.

To my knowledge people with A S can be very focused and special interests are usually present (I have AS).

I know that this doesn't really answer your question, I only know what the letters mean in ADHD though and so I can't really answer your question.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 4:18 am

ADHD: trouble paying attention, and you're super hyper-active

That's pretty much me....unless ya bring in my interests, then I'm paying attention.

I know the first part is basically attributed to being Autistic, but I'm still hyper-active, so there's...y'know...kinda that.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 5:01 am

I've read there are 6 different types of ADD-

1-Classic
2-Inattentive
3-Over focused
4-Temporal Lobe
5-Limbic
6-"Ring of Fire"

source is Healing ADD-by Daniel G. Amen, MD

It's an interesting book and the type of ADD someone has could affect how closely it resembles Asperger's. I am diagnosed with Inattentive but I also see Limbic in myself which resembles Depression. I imagine someone with Overfocused would not have such a problem with Executive Dysfunction.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 6:40 am

It seems social issues can be part of ADHD and attention/hyperactivity issues can be part of AS, but they are usually milder than if someone had the other disorder. I have AS and don't have hyperactivity or attention issues really. I do have some impulsivity.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 9:57 am

Lainie wrote:
I know ADHD can be mis-dx'd when it's really Aspergers sometimes. So whats the difference.

When is it ADHD and when is it more?

ADHD:

Quote:
A. Either (1) or (2)

1) Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least six months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with the developmental level:

Inattention

1. often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
2. often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
3. often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
4. often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behaviour or failure of comprehension)
5. often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
6. often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
7. often loses things necessary for tasks or activites at school or at home (e.g. toys, pencils, books, assignments)
8. is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
9. if often forgetful in daily activities

2) Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with the developmental level:

Hyperactivity

1. often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
2. often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
3. often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
4. often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
5. often talks excessively
6. is often 'on the go' or often acts as if 'driven by a motor'

Impulsivity

7. often has difficulty awaiting turn in games or group situations
8. often blurts out answers to questions before they have been completed
9. often interrupts or intrudes on others, e.g. butts into other children's games

B. Some hyperactivity - impulsive or inattentive symptoms that cause impairment were present before the age of 7 years.

C. Some impairment from the symptoms is present in more than two or more settings (e.g. at school or work or at home).

D. There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

E. The symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder, and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

For AS, I suppose that everyody in this forum know the criteria, but:

Quote:
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 12:59 pm

A week ago, I told an acquaintance/friend I have Aspergers, and she said she thought I have ADD (or ADHD). I'd never really given it much thought. Now that I look at the above post, I meet the criteria for hyperactivity-impulsivity with 8 symptoms. Only 4 of 9 for inattention.

Having never bothered to check before, this is astonishing to me. Obviously, according to the DSM, I also have ADHD, as well as Aspergers. Unless the DSM is a bit wonky and the diagnosticians are unclear on what they're doing. Which I suspect is the case, on both counts.

Frankly I don't think I have either adhd OR aspergers. I think I am HFA or MFA (medium functioning autistic).

Last edited by alba on 15 Sep 2009, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:03 pm

alba wrote:

Having never bothered to check before, this is astonishing to me. Obviously, according to the DSM, I also have ADHD, as well as Aspergers. Unless the DSM is a bit wonky and the diagnosticians are unclear on what they're doing. Which I suspect is the case, on both counts.

Remember:

Quote:
E. The symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder, and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder)

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:15 pm

I was diagnosed with ADD in 1994, and I suspect I also have an ASD. I wonder if the ADD was a misdiagnoses, or if I might have both. :? Because there is overlap. Hmmm.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:28 pm

TPE2 wrote:
alba wrote:

Remember:

Quote:
E. The symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder, and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder)

Does that mean if you meet criteria for both ADHD and Aspergers, that Aspergers would take precedence and/or cancel out the ADHD dx?

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:30 pm

I have 6/9 of the "Innatention" symptoms and 3/9 of the "Hyperactivity/Impulsivity", then I could have ADHD - Innatentive type. However, I suspect that I have, or a PDD/ASD, or Schizoid Disorder (I think that both diagnosis have priority over ADHD).

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:32 pm

alba wrote:
TPE2 wrote:
alba wrote:

Remember:

Quote:

Does that mean if you meet criteria for both ADHD and Aspergers, that Aspergers would take precedence and/or cancel out the ADHD dx?

In theory, yes. In practice, many (most?) psychiatrists diagnose ADHD even if AS is present.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:36 pm

Thank you TPE2. This is very interesting indeed.