Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

daywalker_7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2006, 2:37 pm

i was wondering whether there are any aspies from India...get in touch...

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2006, 3:20 pm

:(

I'm not aware of any. And no one from India has logged onto this map yet.
http://www.frappr.com/wrongplanet

I hope I'm wrong.

You might want to put yourself on the map. Maybe someone will find you.

BeeBee

daywalker_7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2006, 3:33 pm

thanks for the reply.

hope somebody is there :)

raedizzle2006
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2006, 6:45 pm

I happen to know an Indian HFA (high-functioning autistic) that lived in my apartment complex when I was a young adolescent (12-14). He had a lot of the same difficulties I do (lack of real "social skills", a loner, perseverations on "strange" things, etc.)...I interacted with him from time to time, and played video games sometimes and visited him at his apartment, where he lived with his parents. He was in an autistic group home after he moved out of my 'hood, but eventually moved back with his parents. He never had a job (I do, and it can be a pain-in-the-arse dealing with people who don't "get you", and vice-versa), but anyway. Don't know if I'll ever see him again; I moved away from where we grew up and don't know where he is now. Just wanted to make this post to tell of my experience having known an Indian with AS.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2006, 12:18 pm

India is a 'developing country,' which means that they still have many problems with poverty. There are rich people in India too, but the average person cannot afford computers and to use the internet. In fact, many cannot afford to attend school, and do not learn to read. Most people in India probably haven't even heard of AS, and even if they did, they cannot do much for people with AS when they can barely afford to buy food.

That is why you won't find many people from India on the internet, let alone people who have AS.

passn_thru2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2006, 9:37 pm

there are more Homeless people living on the streets in India than the entire population of the United States..

raedizzle2006
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2006, 12:29 am

Wow..I never would've guessed there are more homeless on the streets in India than the whole U.S. population, which is what nearly 300 million? How sad, regarding the homeless in India (or anywhere); do you know if there is anything the Indian people are trying to do to reduce that problem? Not enough jobs, housing..what? Again, I never would have guessed that about India; I thought we were the ones with the greatest homeless problem. (We certainly lead the world in other societal ills, but anyway)

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 7:12 pm

so 1/3 of their population are homeless?

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2006, 10:55 am

It would depend how you define homeless. Probably far less than that actually sleep in the streets. But many more are probably vulnerably housed - they may live in some kind of building made of mud bricks and corrugated iron, but do not own the land, and could be evicted off it at any time.

It's not the same, but when I visited Egypt, many buildings had no roof, and there were people sleeping in the street sometimes (but the police probably try to keep them away from areas visited by tourists, due to tourism being so important to the economy of Egypt). It may well be similar in India.

Tomcat
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2006, 6:40 am

Well, I'm German actually, but I spent almost half my life in India (Delhi) and I also know Hindi. Would love to return there and live there again, but nowadays I have to take care of my parents here in Germany, I don't want to leave them alone in their old age.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 11:34 am

Im an aspie and Im friends with an Indian kid is that good enough???

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2006, 5:50 pm

1/4 Indian checking in (grandma was from Punjab). Also thanks to her, India is one of the countries I have a connection with. I've been there 3 times(only in Punjab though), last time for her funeral. But a fourth visit is very likely to happen.