Is a military career possible for someone with Asperger's?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RossMc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2009, 8:18 am

I spent 6 years in the Air Force Reserve. I would not recommend military service to aspies. The military is like one long gym class, with lots of bullies. A higher percentage of people in the military are NT than in the general population. A high percentage of people who join the military do so because they were in a tight clique of buddies in high school, and long to recreate that camaraderie afterwards. The military doesn't want introverts or quirky, creative people. It wants your average teenager who is anxious to fit in and be popular. Being in constant close contact with a lot of intolerant and judgmental people is not good for an Aspie. I was in an engineer Squadron, mainly construction and maintenance, but it was hard. I did get promoted to Staff Sargeant, and got an honorable discharge. I made a few friends, but they were often mercilessly ridiculed for hanging out with me.

KingKermit
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2009, 1:05 am

I am currently an active duty Corpsman in the Navy and have been since I was 19 (currently 24). I would strongly agree with RossMc, be careful the enlisted half of the military is NOT an easy life for people who have trouble fitting in. Especially the USMC which I work with primarily ( 1st battalion 1st Marines). Don’t listen to people who say going to ROTC and being an officer is the way to go because being an officer is even more social, and there is lots of politics at those ranks. I am not saying don’t do it, but it was very difficult for me. And I was the same age as you when I joined. It has been very rewarding and I have made friends and been all over the world.

If you have any questions about the Navy feel free to ask. I’ll tell you all I know.

KingKermit
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2009, 1:16 am

oh and don't tell them you have AS or they won't let you in. Plus if you want any job that requires security clearence like being a crypto or nuke I hope you havent been diagnosed, medicated, or been to any therapists for anything. They will find out during your background check and you will be discharged.

RossMc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2009, 12:40 pm

I find from my experience that miltary background checks miss a lot. Above all, do not volunteer any information that can be used against you. save confessions for a priest in the confessional. When you are enlisting and in basic training, if you get caught lying about something, the penalty is often not severe.
The funniest thing from my basic training was the hotshot basic trainee in my flight who felt compelled to confess past marijuana smoking. I asked him why he did it and he said he otherwise couldn't live with himself. The funny part for me was the mixture of disbelief and contempt that the training instructors showed toward this trainee with a compulsion to spill his guts. He also earned himself 4 years of menial chores in the Air Force, since he was barred from any decent career fields.

KingKermit
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2009, 7:17 am

This is true for for the most part, but if a job requires a top secret clearence (like crypto or nuke) they pry really far. Thry will find out. Otherwise if you fess up during the moment of truth you are a moron.

Fbthew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2009, 9:22 am

Not if you are a christian, Jesus was a pacifist.

KingKermit
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2009, 11:41 am

that statement is correct but I am not sure how it applies to this subject.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 4:48 am

If you were always picked last for the team I can understand wanting to force yourself into physical health and survivalism but still. It's like being tone-deaf and taking singing lessons, no? I have a major respect for anyone who does it but the emotional and physical abuse would be brutal.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 12:17 pm

TheHaywire wrote:
If you were always picked last for the team I can understand wanting to force yourself into physical health and survivalism but still. It's like being tone-deaf and taking singing lessons, no? I have a major respect for anyone who does it but the emotional and physical abuse would be brutal.

Yeah, I only went through a brief phase of considering it as things were. Pretty sure I'm too much of a spaz to manage anything like that.

Oh! Love your music btw! Didn't know you'd discovered Wrongplanet.net :D

Redfox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2009, 9:55 am

KingKermit wrote:
Especially the USMC which I work with primarily ( 1st battalion 1st Marines).

KingKermit I used to be in 1/1 until I EAS'd last year. I was a Sergeant in Alpha Company 3rd PLT.

EAS= End of Active Service for you non-military people.

More on topic as I just indicated I used to be a Marine. I would not recommend anyone with aspergers to go in the military. The "interpret people literally" and not do the logical steps in between really kills you (maybe even literally). You have a habit of coming off like an idiot, although people who get to know you know you are very smart but "a bit odd". I was undiagnosed and had no idea I had it so I made it through medical screening. They most likely will not take you with a psychiatric history.

Furantic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 9:59 pm

Well to answer your question about Aspies being in the military, I am in the US Navy. I'm a submariner. Drawback is, no one other than my wife, sister and parents know I have Aspergers. But I am doing rather well as an enlisted sailor. Started as a E-1 and crawled my way up to E-5 in four years. I'm at my six year point now, but while it has been tough (I've had to force myself to look into people's eyes), it can be done. I do admit I have difficulty picking up some aspects of my rate, but I get by with my expertise in another aspects, namely the technical areas. Not to mention, even though I still do have a tough time in social situations, the military basically forced me into them, and I am significantly better at it now. Just be warned, in my experience, make sure you have a thick skin. I have been made fun of, but the key their is to laugh it off and not flip out. Don't even hint at possibly having Aspergers.
As for the whole part about taking things literally, and I still do have a hard time distinguishing, it's just something you have to pick up on. Good example is I was once told by my Chief to stay after for an hour. About five minutes after liberty was put down, I was busy working on something. He looked at me oddly and laughed. "You do know I was joking, right?", he said. I managed to play off my inability to distinguish that joke from a serious order by simply stating, "I just had to catch-up on an inventory Chief, but I think it can wait til' tomorrow."
So while it may be tough to be in, an Aspie can do it. Just ensure that no one knows about it!

citizensnips
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2010, 10:16 pm

I want to join the army but alas I am on Zoloft so I guess I will have to wait.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 12:47 pm

Furantic wrote:
Well to answer your question about Aspies being in the military, I am in the US Navy. I'm a submariner. Drawback is, no one other than my wife, sister and parents know I have Aspergers. But I am doing rather well as an enlisted sailor. Started as a E-1 and crawled my way up to E-5 in four years. I'm at my six year point now, but while it has been tough (I've had to force myself to look into people's eyes), it can be done. I do admit I have difficulty picking up some aspects of my rate, but I get by with my expertise in another aspects, namely the technical areas. Not to mention, even though I still do have a tough time in social situations, the military basically forced me into them, and I am significantly better at it now. Just be warned, in my experience, make sure you have a thick skin. I have been made fun of, but the key their is to laugh it off and not flip out. Don't even hint at possibly having Aspergers.
As for the whole part about taking things literally, and I still do have a hard time distinguishing, it's just something you have to pick up on. Good example is I was once told by my Chief to stay after for an hour. About five minutes after liberty was put down, I was busy working on something. He looked at me oddly and laughed. "You do know I was joking, right?", he said. I managed to play off my inability to distinguish that joke from a serious order by simply stating, "I just had to catch-up on an inventory Chief, but I think it can wait til' tomorrow."
So while it may be tough to be in, an Aspie can do it. Just ensure that no one knows about it!

Just curious, how do you deal with the claustrophobic atmosphere of working in a submarine?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:37 pm

Redfox wrote:
EAS= End of Active Service for you non-military people.

in the army it was Echo Tango Samsonite :lol: [Expiration Term [of]Service]

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 8:52 pm

I'm currently active duty U.S. Air Force. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Disorder about two months ago, and am currently getting kicked out.

There are good things about being in the military, and there are bad things. It depends on you.

Good things:

1. I make eye contact now (If you try not making eye contact when a military training leader is screaming at you, you'll regret it).

2. I now know how to have a conversation with another person, even about stupid things. I can do "small talk."

3. I found that I can fit into an organization and make friends.

Bad things:

1. Sensory issues. I'm an aircraft mechanic and having to be around running aircraft engines, in the weather, with 20 people talking at you, is Hell.

2. The military is NOT a structured life. Things change constantly, from work schedules, to deployments, to having to share living space with strangers.

3. You will eventually have to supervise people.

4. You will constantly be going at an insane pace. There is little "downtime."

5. The military is comprised of alpha-males. If you're weird or "weak," you will be destroyed.

6. If you have bad executive functioning, you may have a hard time following procedures.

Ultimately, your mileage will vary. However, don't get suckered into thinking the military will "fix" your personality; it won't. I was able to hide until I made Staff Sergeant, which is a supervisory position. I was a good worker, but I can't direct the behavior of others. I won't say don't join the military, but don't be bummed if it doesn't work out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:31 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
1. I make eye contact now (If you try not making eye contact when a military training leader is screaming at you, you'll regret it).

when i was in the army, if somebody in command was screaming at you, you were supposed to be "locked heels" in the position of attention with your eyes straight forward and NOT making eye contact with the screaming supervisor which would have been considered a challenge to their authority. if you made the mistake of looking them in the eye, you could expect a quick "WTF are you looking at, [expletive] PRIVATE?!"