Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:59 am

Yep like the Y2K.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 8:09 am

0_equals_true wrote:
It is far to say it is a question of what you value age wise. If you are into the 18 to 30s crowd then vote for swine flew prevention.

Viruses do not heed majorities in a vote.

ruveyn

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 9:02 am

Sand wrote:
Since you originate from Quebec I can only assume English is not your first language but I never heard of a souch. What is it?

It's a "strain", and yeah my first language is french. My bad, again... :oops:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 9:09 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Yep like the Y2K.

I think the "Apocalypse in 2012" thing is over-hyped as well.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 9:58 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Yep like the Y2K.

I think the "Apocalypse in 2012" thing is over-hyped as well.

I hope not. I'd like to get this whole "end of the world" thing over with once and for all. :lol:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Sep 2009, 10:20 am

Orwell wrote:
Influenza does not affect horses
great news. then we all can expect this will be the last stance for animal flu in the news effecting humans

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 10:53 am

My previously healthy Aunt died from Swine Flu early last week.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2009, 10:57 am

Swine Flu is not over-hyped. The problem is that it has the potential to become a pandemic, as opposed to things like the Seasonal Flue which, even though it claims more lives, is predictable and not pandemic.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 10:58 am

A co-worker's baby nephew just died from it.

:/

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:35 pm

pandd wrote:

For the victim and family it is always one hundred percent. For society it is the statistical death rate. How many per one hundred thousand have died of the swine flu? How does it compare to other causes of death? Can you put this in some kind of proportion?

In the great flu epidemic of 1918 (Spanish Flu) over fifty million died world wide. That is nearly four times as many who died in The Great War. Using the Spanish Flue as a benchmark, the current swine flu hardly registers. I suspect more people are dying of food poisoning than swine flu. Many more are dying in automobile accidents (about 40,000 a year in the U.S.). Shall we give up automobiles?

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 2:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:
For the victim and family it is always one hundred percent. For society it is the statistical death rate. How many per one hundred thousand have died of the swine flu? How does it compare to other causes of death? Can you put this in some kind of proportion?

In the great flu epidemic of 1918 (Spanish Flu) over fifty million died world wide. That is nearly four times as many who died in The Great War. Using the Spanish Flue as a benchmark, the current swine flu hardly registers. I suspect more people are dying of food poisoning than swine flu. Many more are dying in automobile accidents (about 40,000 a year in the U.S.). Shall we give up automobiles?

ruveyn

Exactly.

There needs to be a general understanding of disease and viruses that lacks in the country. If it's a nasty virus, the old and the babies are the ones who'll see the highest mortality rate. There'll be some in the middle but those will be either from the immunocompromised or those who don't take the necessary measures to take care of themselves or are otherwise subject to complications during illness.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 8:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
pandd wrote:

ruveyn

Each problem demands its own solution. Is it irretrievably necessary that 40,000 people die from poorly designed transportation systems? And is that justification for ignoring other dangerous factors? For someone who constantly claims overwhelming intellect there seems to be some lack of its application.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 8:22 pm

Sand wrote:

Each problem demands its own solution. Is it irretrievably necessary that 40,000 people die from poorly designed transportation systems? And is that justification for ignoring other dangerous factors? For someone who constantly claims overwhelming intellect there seems to be some lack of its application.

Dying of the flu is equally unnecessary. All one need do is stay at home and breath filtered air and drink sterilized water. Also never touch anyone nor let anyone touch you. Or breath on you.

I was simply trying get a comparative measure of morbidity.

BTW the main cause of automobile accidents is not the machines (by and large) but the people who operate them. The only way to eliminate auto accidents is to eliminate driving autos.

If people would stay at home, never go out etc. they will never have an auto accident (unless a car crashes into their house).

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 9:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Dying of the flu is equally unnecessary. All one need do is stay at home and breath filtered air and drink sterilized water. Also never touch anyone nor let anyone touch you. Or breath on you.

I was simply trying get a comparative measure of morbidity.

BTW the main cause of automobile accidents is not the machines (by and large) but the people who operate them. The only way to eliminate auto accidents is to eliminate driving autos.

If people would stay at home, never go out etc. they will never have an auto accident (unless a car crashes into their house).

ruveyn

I would suggest that all that magnificent intellect be further employed to comprehend that eliminating people from a problem is not the way to go. Of course, if we all committed suicide the problem would be totally solved. Somehow I find that unsatisfactory.
Transportation involves a human-machine relationship and it is that relationship that must be adjusted. Eliminating either humans or the mechanical side simply is not acknowledging the problem. Also, eliminating social interaction is not a solution to communicable diseases. With all that fantastic excess of intellect I am sure you can do better than infantile simplistic idiocies.

Last edited by Sand on 21 Sep 2009, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 11:16 pm

number5 wrote:
As for the "hype," the medical community is really damned if they do and damned if they don't. If the dangers are underplayed, then they would be negligent and responsible for not getting advance warning and help or advice out. If they overplay it, then they become the boy who cried wolf and lose the respect and interest of the people. I think the media could do a better job by trying not to induce paranoia in the public, but if you are suggesting that there's some major conspiracy going on, then I believe you are mistaken.

That last part is a real challenge sadly as well when its built on the same entertainment model as a Holywood movie or sitcom. Seems like last year at least here in the states they started arguing it a bit back and forth both ways.

I still doubt that I'll get the vaccine though, that could change easily as I realize that I do have parents who are in their 60's and 70's respectively.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 5:52 am

Sand wrote:
Also, eliminating social interaction is not a solution to communicable diseases. With all that fantastic excess of intellect I am sure you can do better than infantile simplistic idiocies.

Yes it is. Without communication, communicable disease cannot happen. Unfortunately the "cure" is worse than the disease.

I brought this up merely to show that getting the flu is neither inevitable nor necessary. Getting the flu is happenstantial just like being in an auto accident. Hence comparing death rates due to flu with death rates due to auto accidents makes perfectly good sense.

As I pointed out we do not get into a panic over auto accidents. So why get into a panic over the flu. There are steps we can take to lower the probability of contracting the disease, just as there are steps we can take to lower the probability of being killed in an auto accident. In the latter case, belting up and having air bags is a good first step. Also driving a car that is built like a tank would help.

ruveyn