Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 1:12 am

Eeek...all of a sudden we are inundated with cats!
Somebody found an abandoned broken pet carrier with 2 kittens in it and brought it to us last night.
2 healthy 6-week-old tabby kittens have brought the number of cats in our house from 2 to seven because we are shutting down the office of our internet business and moving the operations over here temporarily... :? ...This means that We had to bring the office cat Kali, and her kittens over...so now we have 4 kittens to find homes for ....Kali's 2 and then these new abandoned kittens.

It is a bit exasperating. The adult cats are somewhat traumatized. Poor little Entropy, who has been such a nursy-baby....and very attached to me...likes to cuddle on my lap while I am on the computer....now sulks alone....and won't let me cuddle with her.
Lovey cat and Kali have been in hiding....Kali's larger kittens are pretty hostile...and I need to find a way to find all these kittens good homes, and quickly

Yesterday..Enty made a beeline right at my legs and caused me to lose balance..I sorta stepped on her accidentally...and I am worried that i might have injured her...and now these kittens add insult to injury.

The kittens are very cute and friendly...but I want my 2-cat household back :? ...Kali will be fixed and then go live at the office of our new location eventually..

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 1:15 am

Kittens are pretty awesome.

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2009, 1:41 am

As someone who (until moving into a shared flat a year ago, though subsequently getting a place of my own) has had cats my whole life, I know how hard it can be to bring new cats into a home and how uncomfortable it can be for both the resident cats and you (because of the change in their behaviour).

For starters, ideally you need to segregate the two (or three) groups. We're talking at least one separate room with a closed door for the newcomers.

Speak to your local veterinarian's office - their staff often know where you can access a re-homing service, or a shelter that provides such services. This is a much better option for the cats than putting a "Kittens - free to good home" ad out there.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 1:48 am

I am messaging the people who are our acquaintances and frequent our venue to see if anyone will take them...I have no really effective way to segregate them, as very few rooms in my place have doors, and keeping them in the carrier only results in loud plaintive mewing...It will be difficult, but if it comes down to it, I will try doing what you suggested...about finding a re-homing service.

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2009, 2:01 am

Well, good luck with that.

Part of the reason for segregation is to put a barrier between the newcomers and your own cats, so they don't feel like their entire space has been invaded. Also, and this is less effective, you don't know if the found kittens have had their shots yet - and you didn't say if the office kittens have. So while it's not the best way to do so, segregation helps to stop any diseases being passed around.

I should have said - the advantage of using a re-homing service or a shelter is that the kittens will be checked over, vaccinated, and (if they are old enough) neutered. Anyone wanting to adopt a cat from a scheme like this is often asked for a small donation towards the expenses incurred.

I agree that keeping them in the carriers isn't the best thing. Let's hope they are all re-homed with loving new owners soon, and that your own cats settle back down and are comfortable around the house shortly. :)

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 10:04 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Eeek...all of a sudden we are inundated with cats!
Somebody found an abandoned broken pet carrier with 2 kittens in it and brought it to us last night.
2 healthy 6-week-old tabby kittens have brought the number of cats in our house from 2 to seven because we are shutting down the office of our internet business and moving the operations over here temporarily... :? ...This means that We had to bring the office cat Kali, and her kittens over...so now we have 4 kittens to find homes for ....Kali's 2 and then these new abandoned kittens.

It is a bit exasperating. The adult cats are somewhat traumatized. Poor little Entropy, who has been such a nursy-baby....and very attached to me...likes to cuddle on my lap while I am on the computer....now sulks alone....and won't let me cuddle with her.
Lovey cat and Kali have been in hiding....Kali's larger kittens are pretty hostile...and I need to find a way to find all these kittens good homes, and quickly

Yesterday..Enty made a beeline right at my legs and caused me to lose balance..I sorta stepped on her accidentally...and I am worried that i might have injured her...and now these kittens add insult to injury.

The kittens are very cute and friendly...but I want my 2-cat household back :? ...Kali will be fixed and then go live at the office of our new location eventually..

First things first, you are the momma cat. Momma cats discipline their babies, or they end up being psycho like our rescue cat (found in a box with its eyes barely open). I do love that cat, though, me and him are homies. haha

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 11:47 pm

The cats have all split off into different factions...(my place is very very big..I live in a warehouse)
Kali and her 2 offspring have been keeping to themselves..

Lovey is the oldest, and a loner...she hangs out on the stage...

Enty has slightly returned to normal, but is still ignoring me...

and the kittens are on the bed.

Someone expressed interest in the kittens today, and because I have had a hard time getting photos without them blinking, I made youtube videos to advertise them..of course the video is very wobbly and the view finder on my camera is not working...don't worry..I won't post them here..they are on my Youtube..