Proportion of Aspies on dating sites?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MrVulcan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2009, 7:42 am

I'm wondering if there is a higher proportion of people with Asperger's (or other types of autism) on Internet dating sites?
I think it makes sense, since we tend to dislike large crowds like you'd find in a bar or other places where normal people find dates; and since there's no body language to read online, people need to be more explicit to get their point across.

I know a lot of people I've met online have seemed a bit 'odd'. I'm not sure if they had autism or not though.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 8:10 am

Very good question. I've messaged several interesting women on OkCupid and none of them have responded to me. Some messages are simply nice things like, "hi, you seem like a very nice person. :)" -- NO RESPONSE. It boggles the mind.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 8:12 am

I'm not sure. It makes some sense indeed. However, I can also see why some Aspies would not go on dating sites because they seem rather fake and superficial. I for one would never try to find a boyfriend through a dating site (I did meet my boyfriend through the Internet, but it was a different site).

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 4:45 pm

I definitely agree that most dating sites are full of fakers. I can't help being honest and genuine on my profiles. I get a lot of views, but never any contacts. That whole 'intimidation' factor probably plays a part in that. :/ Either that, or I don't seem like someone who wants to offer my haploid DNA to your babymaker, and that would be the truth.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 6:05 pm

There's less normals on the internet who would go e-dating. Though as e-dating becomes more acceptable to normals we get crowded out.

Then again there couuld be tags for 'crazy' 'neurodiverse' or something added and people search for thier opwn kind-easy as that

MrVulcan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2009, 6:58 pm

idiocratik wrote:
Very good question. I've messaged several interesting women on OkCupid and none of them have responded to me. Some messages are simply nice things like, "hi, you seem like a very nice person. :)" -- NO RESPONSE. It boggles the mind.

I usually only get 1 reply for every 50-100 messages I send. It gets really time consuming, which is why I just gave up completely.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 8:08 am

I wouldn't know the exact proportion, but I can understand why we would use dating sites.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2009, 8:54 am

I met an aspie on a dating site once. He was from Florida or somewhere though, and didn't seem interested in actually dating as much as just finding people to talk to, so I didn't continue talking to him, as my purpose for signing up on that site was to find someone I could actually date who lived close enough to me for a relationship to actually work. I did tell him about WP before I stopped IMing him, but I don't know if he ever joined.

However, I'm still dating the first person I actually initiated contact with, so I didn't stay on the site long enough to notice any AS/NT ratio.