Lack of makeup indicate already in relationship?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 4:13 pm

I have to ask this as I rarely put on makeup. Mostly because I find it a hassle, plus some makeup bothers my eyes (mascara, some eyeliner).

But I have to wonder. Would a general lack of makeup tend to indicate to people that do not know me, that I am already in a relationship or perhaps even married (despite lack of jewelry on my person)? Or could it just indicate that I am not available, regardless of intent?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 4:21 pm

Shebakoby wrote:
I have to ask this as I rarely put on makeup. Mostly because I find it a hassle, plus some makeup bothers my eyes (mascara, some eyeliner).

But I have to wonder. Would a general lack of makeup tend to indicate to people that do not know me, that I am already in a relationship or perhaps even married (despite lack of jewelry on my person)? Or could it just indicate that I am not available, regardless of intent?

None of the above. It just indicates you don't wear makeup but indicates nothing about your marriage status or availability. Women who wear makeup routinely will continue to do so after they are married (will continue to do so well into old age). Women who dislike makeup won't wear it even when actively pursuing a man.

I'm a sporadic makeup wearer. I wear it when going out to parties or to fancy places like a nice restaurant. Thus it was when I was in highschool. Thus it still is now that I'm middle aged. For me, it's related to the venue, not whether or not I'm in a relationship. Lots of other women started wearing makeup daily to school while in highschool and will continue to do so all their lives regardless of relationship status. Still others never have and never will.

In sum? It's just a fashion choice and that's how other people see it too. It isn't meant as a relationship indicator either way.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 5:03 pm

No, it's not an indicator of availability to me.

You're going to get some guys saying 'she looks better w/o' and 'I do not care if the does or does not wear'

But makeup does help indicate a woman is interested in the way she looks to the world (self-image) and is generally trying to raise her status for whatever reason.

If a woman does wear make up, she's going to like to get a compliment or two as it takes effort to adequately blend and find the right tones.

If a woman does NOT wear make up, I certainly don't scratch her off the list! She may be busy, having a skin reaction, be coming/going to a place where it's not appropriate, etc. For these reasons, it's a little bit tougher to open up a conversation (unless you like to 'neg' women) but it's certainly possible.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 5:19 pm

In Oregon, it is almost more en vogue to go au naturale. Personally, I prefer a woman with no makeup or very light makeup. I don't like getting it on my skin/hands/lips and I don't care for the artificial smell of it. It would drive me batty if it was all the time. Exceptions as Janissy noted above for special occasions or just for fun, but not the norm 24/7.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 5:50 pm

how about whether it adds to attractiveness in such a way that the person actually looks 'ugly' without it? My mom used to joke that she had to put on makeup before leaving the house or she'd 'scare someone'.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 6:07 pm

Shebakoby wrote:
how about whether it adds to attractiveness in such a way that the person actually looks 'ugly' without it? My mom used to joke that she had to put on makeup before leaving the house or she'd 'scare someone'.

In my experience (regardless of how many ads in Cosmo speak to the opposite), never.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 6:12 pm

Some women shun makeup because of religious reasons. In some evangelical circles, some women don't wear makeup or even cut their hair.

The only link I have seen between makeup and relationship status is the red dot that Hindu women have on their foreheads, which indicates that they're married.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 09 Oct 2009, 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 8:20 pm

It doesn't indicate anything relationship I know of in this culture.

However, it could in some cases indicate bad lighting where it was applied :lol:

My attitude is that if it looks like make-up, it's too much, because it's exactly that, made up, not real.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 10:09 pm

HA! I'm never in a relationship, but I always wear some makeup, especially to work or when I'm out and about (I've been wearing it since high school - I love to experiment with cosmetics, and I seriously thought about becoming a makeup artist, at one point). I'm not quite as bad as I used to be when I was a hardcore g*th, though, haha! I wouldn't even get the mail without a face-full. :lol: :roll:

~Steve Jobs

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 10:18 pm

Shebakoby wrote:

I think I look tired and unattractive without makeup. :cry:

~Steve Jobs

Rack
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2009, 1:49 am

Out of the women I personally know well enough to have seen them without their warpaint (excepting the odd few that actually didn't wear a lot of makeup) all of them recognised that most women wore too much makeup, all of them claimed they were the exception in that they actually needed a lot of makeup, but only one actually looked better in makeup. Even so I was never able to convince a single one they even looked good without makeup.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 1:57 am

when I wear makeup I do not paste it on. Though sometimes it can look a little heavy on the eyeshadow. I need new eyeshadow.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 4:30 pm

No, I don't think it indicates anything relationship-wise. The awkward bit (for me at least) is when they've plastered on so much you can actually see it. Then I wonder what it is she is trying to hide.

Merle wrote:
If a woman does wear make up, she's going to like to get a compliment or two as it takes effort to adequately blend and find the right tones.

And how exactly are you supposed to do that? That sounds like the quickest way to someone's downfall.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 5:49 pm

Merle wrote:

Nein. I expect no compliments nor comments about my makeup; I'm shocked if anyone even notices. Here and there, random women *have* commented on my makeup and asked me if I've had it done or whether I do makeup professionally. That's flattering.

~Steve Jobs

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 11:25 pm

SINsister wrote:
Merle wrote:

Nein. I expect no compliments nor comments about my makeup; I'm shocked if anyone even notices. Here and there, random women *have* commented on my makeup and asked me if I've had it done or whether I do makeup professionally. That's flattering.

Wow, I'm shocked. Paying a compliment is a given (they're free and pay excellent dividends!) in my book. Guys who can not even feign a compliment are, well, boring? Dullards? Classless cretins?

Do you get *any* compliments from men?

Honestly and please, I don't mean it as a dig on you, but as a serious reflection of the environment you're in. If you don't - then I fear for women in that neck of the woods.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 8:13 am

Merle wrote:
Do you get *any* compliments from men?

Honestly and please, I don't mean it as a dig on you, but as a serious reflection of the environment you're in. If you don't - then I fear for women in that neck of the woods.

Yes - now and then, from a particularly-repugnant, lecherous retiree who frequents the gym where I work.

Don't fear for the NT women here, as they seem to be doing just fine. I live in my very own bubble, man. I don't exist to men; they have nothing to do with me, overall. The rules don't apply to me, and never have. I wish Bones would beam me back up, though. :(

~Steve Jobs