Sugar, Fat, and Salt create "craving" nueral circu

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Boston_MA
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2009, 3:38 pm

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/8/3/fo ... essler_the

"DR. DAVID KESSLER: So, take an appetizer in a modern American restaurant. Take buffalo wings. What are they? You take the fatty part of the chicken, fried usually in the manufacturing plant first. That loads about 30, 40 percent fat. Fry it again in the kitchen of the restaurant. That loads more fat. That red spicy sauce? What is it? Fat and sugar. That white creamy sauce on the side? Fat and salt. What are we eating? Fat on fat on fat on fat on sugar on fat and salt."

"Why aren’t diets going to work? You know, if you have that neural circuitry laid down and you respond, you know, to fat, sugar and salt, and your brain is wired to do that, sure, you can deprive yourself for thirty days, sixty days, ninety days, you can lose the weight. But then, if you haven’t laid down new learning on top of that old learning, if you haven’t laid down new neural circuitry, you go back to your environment, you continue to get cued, you get bombarded with all the food cues in our current environment, what do you think is going to happen?"

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 4:22 pm

Mmmmmm.Fat.Sugar.Salt.Mmmmmm.
When I die I want to be encased in a cask of garlic butter.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 4:48 pm

Boston_MA wrote:
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/8/3/former_fda_commissioner_david_kessler_the

"DR. DAVID KESSLER: So, take an appetizer in a modern American restaurant. Take buffalo wings. What are they? You take the fatty part of the chicken, fried usually in the manufacturing plant first. That loads about 30, 40 percent fat. Fry it again in the kitchen of the restaurant. That loads more fat. That red spicy sauce? What is it? Fat and sugar. That white creamy sauce on the side? Fat and salt. What are we eating? Fat on fat on fat on fat on sugar on fat and salt."

"Why aren’t diets going to work? You know, if you have that neural circuitry laid down and you respond, you know, to fat, sugar and salt, and your brain is wired to do that, sure, you can deprive yourself for thirty days, sixty days, ninety days, you can lose the weight. But then, if you haven’t laid down new learning on top of that old learning, if you haven’t laid down new neural circuitry, you go back to your environment, you continue to get cued, you get bombarded with all the food cues in our current environment, what do you think is going to happen?"

The Big Three topic

This is true. I know I crave them, even though I have cut way down. And when you are older, your taste buds are not as sensitive, and you find you want to sprinkle a bit more. i have cut out added salt, and limit my added sugar intake. But condiments and hidden additives are also culprits. You need to find substitutes for salt and sugar that taste as good while training yourself to omit chips, fries, buffalo wings, fried stuff, and carbonated drinks. I know all processed foods contain The Big Three to some degree. :(

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2009, 6:05 pm

I eat mind-boggling quantities of sugar fat and salt. I mantain a bodyfat % of 8-12. I am not naturally lean.
My secret? I exercise correctly. One's body craves these things because these things are very utile for the body. Of course we all know what an excess of such things lead to, but getting proper exercise, proper hydration, and ensuring adequate micronutrient intake will make overfeeding on any of these relatively difficult. This really minimizes the issue of constantly trying to work against one's instincts.

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2009, 5:29 pm

Tony Robbins is into the alkaline diet, and for me it makes total sense, I have followed it and it worked, cured my dandruff and skin issues, all caused by yeast (candida) in the blood.

Going to do it again, as due to the depression, never heard of AS at the time, the way I was/am didn't make sense, I went back to drink (light weight tho) which is very acidic but helped

Boston_MA
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2009, 8:33 am

I think that if you had yeast (candida) in the blood, your body's immune response would give you fevers and high heart rate and you would also either recover or end up in an intensive care unit. There is no way for yeast to go through the stomach acid and the intestines and not be broken down. The body has a balance system where it produces acid and base. So if you eat acidic food, it will produce base and balance out the pH. Try to differentiate between common sense diet ideas such as eating lots of veggies and fruit, avoiding processed foods, avoiding sugar, fat, and salt, artificial flavors, msg, and other chemicals and cutting down on fatty and greasy, and not eating more meat than your body can use (1 gram of meat per kilogram of body weight per day). There are a lot of Guru's who are very good at convincing people to follow their diet, however, there are so many of them, that you have to be suspicious.