SO HOW MUCH DOES AS EVALUATION/DIAGNOSIS ACTUALLY COST?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 11:13 pm

I keep hearing about the cost (for those who aren't entitled to free diagnosis)

What is the cost in your country/region or what did you pay for it and where?

I would like to have a realistic idea of the budget, conduct a cost benefit analysis using DCF and then perhaps conduct a statitical survey to determine the mean, mode and median and then............

Just spend the money on some more model trains and that new level crossing....

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 3:14 am

After starting this thread I realised it would have been more sensible to include a poll, using ranges of cost.

This would be an anonymous way of providing information.

I set up a poll as a new topic 'Cost of Diagnosis' but I cant see it.

Do you think it was nuked for being 'the same as the thread'?

:cry:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 3:16 am

I was quoted to by one professional, about ten years ago, from $2000 to $3500, with a warning that it could be more. This was in northern california. And that 'expert' had no experience with ASC adults.

Looking back I do wonder if that 'professional' wasn't fishing to see what my budget was and upping the price to meet it (I didn't catch on, which is maybe why the price went up the longer I talked to her).

I called some others but they had no experience with adults so I didn't bother asking their rate.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 3:38 am

It's around 600 dollars in Italy.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2009, 4:27 am

$450 AUD

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 4:37 am

I dont wish to belittle those who consider $400 to $600 for an evaluation expensive but from the constant references on WP to the prohibitive cost of diagnosis (not just an initial 'opinion') I was expecting to see 4 or perhaps 5 figures in the prices.

It looks like America may be (not surprisingly) more expensive and I suspect that many of those who post about the prohibitive cost are those who are living in the US.

Thanks to everyone so far for sharing about this.

:)

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 4:39 am

Can be from £500 in the UK.

Just glad I got mine when I could because I certainly wouldn't be able to get that amount together now.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2009, 4:42 am

lithium73 wrote:
$450 AUD

forgot to add report is another $120

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 4:43 am

Kaleido wrote:

Just glad I got mine when I could because I certainly wouldn't be able to get that amount together now.

Ten pounds a week for a year/five pounds a week for 2 years, seems not too unreasonable if you are budgeting.

Darn it, I might actually get tested if it is at this level (outside the US anyway)

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 5:40 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Kaleido wrote:

Ten pounds a week for a year/five pounds a week for 2 years, seems not too unreasonable if you are budgeting.

Darn it, I might actually get tested if it is at this level (outside the US anyway)

That is true, but the reason why some people pay for it is because the waiting list to get it done is nearly two years in some places over here and some of us older people didn't feel we had too many years left to waste 8O :D

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 5:43 am

Kaleido wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
Kaleido wrote:

That is true, but the reason why some people pay for it is because the waiting list to get it done is nearly two years in some places over here and some of us older people didn't feel we had too many years left to waste 8O :D

You can get a free evaluation for something that some people dont even consider to be a genuine condition?

Wow..........I guess it all helps

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 5:55 am

I called and asked here in the Midwestern USA a few weeks ago, and at first I was told "thousands of dollars". A little later in the conversation, I was told the initial tests would take about 8 hours and cost $1500.00 (or maybe she said $1200.00, I forget).

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Oct 2009, 6:13 am

I didn't pay for mine, but only because it was done in a hospital. The wait was 2 years. I was lucky - I had a psychiatric nurse going to bat for me, guiding my case through committees, getting referrals, following them up - much more complicated than I could have done alone.

No matter where you are (where are you, anyway?) it might be free in a hospital. So I'm thinking maybe you could call up a children's hospital and/or a loony bin, both of which should have an autism department.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 6:18 am

$120 AU (half back); clinical psychologist
$160 AU (2/3 back); psychiatrist

GeomAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2009, 6:58 am

I called the Asperger Association in Barcelona about a year ago, and they told me it was € 70. Although now i don't see the need to look for someone to tell me what i know.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 8:07 am

A$perger'$ Diagno$i$ Co$t topic

Lots of dollar signs up there. Same with reality. :roll:

Mine was quite pricey ( $2500 Canadian) in 2008. It was a reevaluation (I used to regard it erroneously as a rediagnosis). Both times (the first was about $1500 Canadian) it was paid for out of funds to which I contributed (College Insurance and Employment Insurance). A wait for a free psychiatrist is five years for this diagnosis, and there is no certainty that a shrink will have expertise in adult AS. My psychologist trained with Tony Attwood in Australia and has extensive experience with Adults and children on the AS Spectrum.

My GP thinks AS is a crock, and refuses to accept a diagnosis that is not done in early childhood. 8O :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo