Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

trelayne
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2006, 3:38 am

I am writing to express my concern that cliques and political talk in the chat room
are interfering with AS related chat. In fact I am being harrassed without provocation
by Quirky Carla in particular.

For instance, I was kicked and banned recently. The ban has shut the forum from
thousands of potential Aspies and Aspie relations who use one of the most
popular ISPs in Canada.

I was initially kicked off along with Quirky Carla because she was clearly being mean.
DrinkTe, feeling that her clique was being attacked by Jetson , threatened to not come back
and made the bold claim that I called people rejects. Which, if Jetson had checked
his/her logs (nick: trelayne/anarchist/vermithrax) would have realized that I have
never instigated attacks against anyone. Instead Jetson decided to give in to pressure
from the 4 friends (I have never had problems with anyone else).

Before I was banned, ironically, someone came on the channel wondering why
someone else was banned. How many people in need of help are being shut out by politics/
cliques? As aspies have we not already suffered enough at the hands of children? WHy
is this gang of 4 allowed to emulate this at the expense of the spirit of this wonderful website?

I consider your chat room to be a valuable resource. But I am concerned that many Aspies and
Aspie parents cannot go into the channel without having to deal with a bullying environment.

I thought the channels were meant for people seeking support and not just a club of four.

- not too pleased

:-(

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 4:00 am

The chatroom is a great place for socialization and support......for people that aren't TROLLS! People don't get banned just because they aren't popular. You and QuirkyCarla got kicked, and for those that visit the chatroom frequently or know Carla will know that it is out of Carla's character to start problems on the forum, and that something above and beond insane must have taken place for her to get kicked. You wouldn't lay off, so you were booted. You kept coming back under different aliases, so you were IP banned. It's that simple. :)

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 5:02 am

Some people here always seem to be in a hissy fit when those who they oppose arent banned willy-nilly. Particularly, DrinkingT and Sean seem to enjoy flaming and then go crying to mods about TOS over the inevitable biteback. They are no different from the muslim protestors who want to behead anyone who parodies Islam. They are just another side of the same coin.

No doubt i will now feel the wrath of the anti-free-speech cliques in operation here.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 5:48 am

I just put QuirkyCarla on ignore in these sort of situations.

Ignore is your best friend. (/ignore username)

OTTILY
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2006, 7:01 am

Certain people have annoyed me with that stuff and picked on my personal situation in life, i was very angry to the point of crying when i first started coming to the chatroom, but after being there for a while you realise that the people who are doing this say the same stuff over and over again. I actually feel sorry for them now, not being able to have a personality and have a bit of a joke or something. I just type random chit chat when people start off now and then others join in who really can't be bothered with it too, so the new people that enter can see that there is at least a few people who will actually notice them enter and try to help with their questions.

trelayne
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2006, 12:21 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. As sean demonstrated, there are resident, pro violence, chest-beating trolls forming a club in the chat. But as some of you know, a common Aspie trait is to vie for justice on social issues. I assume that having support means being able to express good Aspie traits... instead of listening to someone like sean who openly suggests committing mass murder via a nuclear holocaust.

And now it's clear that there are people on this chat (and likely far more) who feel that they are not in a safe environment due to some bullies. I recommend that an MOTD or similar be published telling people that child-like baiting goes on and that they should be ready to put resident trolls on ignore to not waste their information seeking time.

If you can't purge the resident trolls, you might as well be able to create two solitudes: one for bullies; and one <b>for people who really would like to help one another.</b>

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 12:24 pm

I don't bother going to the chatroom anymore. I just get ignored, so why bother? Besides, it is awkward jumping into a room in the middle of a conversation and trying to comprehend what's going on. The whole thing is simply not fun IMHO.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 12:31 pm

Please discuss issues. Attacks on members are not allowed.

I don't like chat either. Its uncomfortable and, quiet frankly, I find it boring. The mods here don't monitor the chat room unless they are also ops so I hardy ever go there.

BeeBee

trelayne
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2006, 12:53 pm

I think you're right Beebee: chat is not a safe place for Aspies to discuss. This whole thing started when Cheesecheese made a racist comment against Indian people. I objected... and of course the racists decided to defend her statement....with sean going so far as to say he would never do business with "dotheads". So the resident trolls decided to become one block and support the hurtful racist.

Perhaps chat here is not really a safe place for progressive folks :-) . But certainly safe for right-wing Aspies... which of course leaves out the full Aspie family.

Do you know of any progressive Aspie sites?

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 12:57 pm

trelayne -

First, I performed the ban earlier in the night because that particular person was insulting chatroom members, making fun of persons with AS, and bringing up topics that will not be discussed in this thread because of the family oriented nature of the site. The person was first quieted for 5 minutes and warned that they would be banned if they did it again. In fact, the person used a different IP address to return and started to insult me thereby losing any respect for people who were initially supporting him.

Second, That was not your first ban. I received a PM from another chat user complete with log detailing the incident where Alex banned you. Alex is the ruler of the WP site and anything associated with it such as the IRC channel. As such, I cannot overrule Alex and he can overrule us. If you have an issue, take it up with him.

Simply put, trolling will not be allowed in the chatroom and due to the realtime nature of the chatroom, the ops must act quickly to keep orderly control. In fact, in the first case, had I not acted, I would have had a riot on my hands.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

trelayne
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2006, 1:02 pm

Bouchard,

I think you have me confused with someone else. I know that confused23
was trolling. But I don't ever recall being banned by yourself or Alex.
The only person who ever banned me was Jetson. And that was in response
to a false accusation made by drinkingt ..

Trelayne

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 1:05 pm

Uhhh, No. I got a log from a chatroom member the other night about you. I will not mention the other members name due to privacy but it was clear that Alex banned you a couple days ago for a few minutes.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 1:09 pm

I guess maybe its not so boring....as a matter of fact, it sounds a little too interesting.

trelayne
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2006, 1:12 pm

Strange, I don't recall having problems getting in. I was kicked for objecting over someone calling Cheesecheese a whore. But Alex said something about being sorry after I got in. That's all I recall.

I guess objecting to someone else being insulted, then myself being insulted, and finally responding to an insult is considering being a troll.

But if I am who you're talking about, I assume the person who sent you the logs was very skilled at editing out all the important details.

Something is wrong with the process here. Perhaps a more progressive Aspie site is in order.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 1:13 pm

OK, my bad. I have re-read the logs. You were not banned from the channel but were booted by Alex. There was still some action done with you however by the person who operates the WP site and related items. I therefore would talk to him about the chat stuff. I will not unban you without his say so (or Jetson's) however until 24 hours have passed (most bans last that long anyways).

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 6:20 pm

OTTILY wrote:
I just type random chit chat when people start off now and then others join in who really can't be bothered with it too, so the new people that enter can see that there is at least a few people who will actually notice them enter and try to help with their questions.

I totally, totally agree. :D