How is Asperger's Syndrome actually defined?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Electricbassguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2009, 2:01 am

When I was 8, I took the official test, whatever it is called, the one that ranks from a 0/1-18 for how autistic you are. I scored a 6, which was just below the borderline of 7. Therefore at 8, I already tested out of the spectrum. At four I probably would have had it.

But since my high school entrance papers said I had "autism" I've said I am diagnosed on the form here... is that honest/accurate?

How do you define Autism/aspergers? is it by traits only?

narnaz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2009, 2:30 am

hullooo..

My little lad was diagnosed at 2.5years. And we werent even looking for it. He had seen a paediatric feeding team due to eating issues, and on it was a child psych. He observed him over 8 weeks, and i did the sensory profile tick box.

Now hes 7. Aspergers traits are kicking in strong and fast... but i did expect this as i had been informed that 6-7 was the general age group when traits and tendencys start to present

He has just recently completed another sensory profile, and is very muchly deeper in the realm of Aspergers.
He will undergo a specific IQ test in about 3 months.

The fact we found out so early is a huge blessing, and I was able to make use of the agencys around and become proactive in fostering skills and techniques with the little lad to get him thru his day.
He is an absolute delight... if i could guarentee all my children would be like him id have heaps.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 4:29 am

I forget where I got this from, but it's "right" as far as I can discern.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 7:22 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I forget where I got this from, but it's "right" as far as I can discern.

This is misleading....it says the IQ of those with Asperber's TENDS to be in the mildly ret*d, normal, or superior range. That's as good as saying that mild retardation is at least AS common in those with Asperger's as normal or higher IQ is. Mental retardation, even "mild mental retardation", is very rare in those diagnosed with AS.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 8:12 pm

Nah, that statement isn't speaking of what is the most prevalent out of the three, only what's possible, unlike the description of Kanner's where it gives a definite number ("many" and "some"). People forget that mild MR is possible in people with AS, even if it isn't common.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 4:07 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Nah, that statement isn't speaking of what is the most prevalent out of the three, only what's possible, unlike the description of Kanner's where it gives a definite number ("many" and "some"). People forget that mild MR is possible in people with AS, even if it isn't common.

I know it's possible and it just seemed to me like the statement was implying that mild MR is more common among those with AS than it really is.

I'm sure some with AS are mildy ret*d and not that this means anything, but i've never personally encountered anyone with AS who is mildy MR.