Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 12:43 pm

As I thought :wink:

Cowbird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2009, 4:28 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
I finally have some extra money, so i ordered one from dreamcatcher. It's going to be a 30 lb full-size(yes, i like being squished. and i'm not exactly a tiny person, either), and i'm getting a pattern with Cobras, Pythons, and Boas on the front and a snakeskin design on the back :D

Funny I should come across this just now. I was just at the dentist's and was wowed by the lead blanket they draped over me for the x-rays. I'm thrilled to learn you can just get something like to to have at home. But where O where do I write to send for it?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 6:58 pm

^ Google weighted blanket and you'll come up with many sites.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

27 Oct 2009, 9:17 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
This is the link I'm gonna order mine from I think:

Salt of the Earth

I just wonder if anyone else has ordered from them ever and if they are good quality or not. I'm looking to get them for myself, my son, and my daughter for Christmas this year.

I just ordered my first weighted blanket from them, should get it in three weeks or so (they are made custom :) ). I will let you know!

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

livinglearning
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2009, 9:10 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
I got one of those blankets from Dreamcatcher to see what it was like. Strangely enough the most comfortable thing about it was the fact that it felt refreshingly cool because the weighted material helped conduct excess body heat.

This is great news! I rarely need blankets, because I'm always hot, but I do need the pressure and always face this dilemma when I sleep with many blankets. Do I get the pressure I need but get all sweaty, or do I stay cool and comfy, but hyper? Another problem with sleeping with many layers, is that they tend to shift around, and it gets really frustrating, waking up in the middle of the night to get it straight.

I have looked at that website (weighedblanket.net) a couple of years ago, and after a long time thinking about it, and choosing from all the beautiful patterns, I finally decided that it was too expensive for me. I'll check out the other website someone linked.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 10:45 pm

OMG, I would LOVE a weighted blanket! :D

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 2:54 am

Hmmmm.

I find it easiest to go to sleep when I have blankets on me....it poses an issue during the summer months.

Never thought it had anything to do with a sensory issue.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 4:48 am

I'm thinking about it , or even trying to make my own.I like having lots of blankets on me, but they get too hot. I used to love crawling under the sofa as a kid with just my head and arms sticking out. Sometimes I'd get my sister to sit on it too.

I bought myself a compression Tshirt a few months ago. It's great!

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 3:58 pm

Don't have one, but I'd like one. Heavy things on me are so soothing.

I remember mentioning this to my mother once a few years ago and she said 'That's an autistic trait.' At the time I didn't know autism meant anything other than 'meltdowns, screaming, crapping your pants' (my brother has profound autism) so I reacted pretty badly. I yelled 'Yuck!' and had to be reassured about fifty times that no, you can't develop low-functioning autism in mid-adolescence.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 4:05 pm

my mom gave me a huge feather bed... I guess it weighs about ten to fifteen pounds altogether, and feels wonderful to sleep under. I always feel sorry in the summers when I have to take it off. I can't afford a regular weighted blanket.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 4:44 pm

I just got mine today :D It's very comfy, and the snake design is awesome! It's hard to carry though, lol.

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2009, 4:57 pm

I want one so badly! I plan on making one (because I can't afford to buy one) when I go home for Thanksgiving break.

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2009, 4:57 pm

I want one so badly! I plan on making one (because I can't afford to buy one) when I go home for Thanksgiving break.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2009, 5:24 pm

I have just discovered that my son gets to sleep a lot easier if i pile on the blankets. He tried it last week and has been requesting the same thing every night since. The only downfall, he overheats easily. Glad it is chilly out! Hope to get him a weighted blanket soon. For me, i have never tried it. I don't have trouble going to sleep. I just wish i could be a deeper sleeper. Any little thing wakes me. If one of the kids get up in the middle of the night, it's like i was awake already.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 7:01 pm

I found a link to make your own by adapting a ready made blanket:

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... anket.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 8:09 pm

I want to get myself a weighted blanket. Maybe that will help me sleep at night.