Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:17 pm

Have you ever been "haunted" by a movie? This happens to me occasionally. Most movies I don't like but once in a while a movie comes along that I can't get out of my head!

The first time this happened, the movie was The English Patient. Then came A Beautiful Mind, Forrest Gump, Schindler's List, Lord of the Rings.

Last weekend, I rented this movie from my library; Life is Beautiful starring Italian actor Roberto Benigni. The movie was in Italian so I had to read the words at the bottom of the screen. Normally, I wouldn't bother but this film was so unusual. It's about the Holocaust but it is so much about comedy (hilarious) and romance (which I usually hate, but in this case found myself loving it) and family and self-sacrifice. It's not as depressing as the Simon Weisenthal story or Schindler's List, but I feel like crying forever! Even though, the movie is quite positive. I simply cannot stop thinking about it!!

Anybody else out there seen it or had this experience happen to you? A movie haunting?

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:41 pm

*********SPOILER ALERT*************

Contact. From the moment I saw her sitting on her bed with her arms linked around her knees, what I call the classic shielded position. And then she's edging out onto that catwalk with the massive machine whirling below her, and the door closes on her in the capsule, and she's completely alone with nothing between her and the universe. And she has to say "okay to go" because their voice recording is her only link with reality and she can't show any sign of danger or they'll abort the mission, and this mission is far too important to let their silly human cautiousness get in the way. And then the ground drops out from underneath her and her senses are in free-fall and everything she knows disappears from in front of her eyes and she may never make it back to life or reality, but still she has to keep her mind on track to tell them she's okay, even though the words don't make any sense anymore....

The Man in the Iron Mask, because of that scene at the end where the four of them yell out and charge into the face of the firing squad. That kind of all-or-nothing courage still sends chills down my spine and it's one of my dreams to be able to match it.

And A Bug's Life, for completely trivial reasons: as far as I can tell, Flik was my first crush. :)

Vae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2006, 11:00 pm

What about Lord of the Rings haunted you?

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2006, 11:04 pm

The Abyss, love the whole story.

Lyndsey's courage and self sacrifice by drowning herself in front of Husband Bud and then the Revival scene where Bud has to bring her back to life, Ed Harris - cool guy. The whole film is bathed in blue light from the ocean and the music by Alan Silvestri is beautiful aswell.

I always imagine what it would be like to be Bud, Lyndsey or Coffee from The Abyss. :)

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 11:06 pm

I watched It when I was little and Im scared of it.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 12:14 am

Well movies play in my head all the time. If by haunted you mean disturbed by, then yes, but the condition where i cant get a movie out of my head is something that happens to me 24/7.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 9:44 am

Vae wrote:
What about Lord of the Rings haunted you?

The entire movie, I thought, was very engaging and provocative.
My favorite part was the death of Borimir. He lusted for the power of the ring, tried to take it by force, and yet, sacrificed himself to save someone whom he knew was going to destroy it.
Also, the underlying theme that the "little guy", seemingly unimpressive, played his part to accomplish great deeds.

lizzie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2006, 11:39 am

The film that haunted me was The others! Do not watch that movie!! ! '_' it is so scary! I can watch any horror movie except for that! It's really haunting! It's the sort of move I would not watch twice! When I think about it! I just get flashbacks and it gives me the creeps! It's the only horror movie that has ever frightend me! After I watched it I couldn't sleep for weeks! '_'

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 12:01 pm

That's funny you should mention scary movies. When I was about 11, I watched the excorcist and then a live Kiss concert on HBO. I had nightmares all night long for days because of Gene Simmons and his nasty tongue!! !! ! (the Excorcist didn't bother me)

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2006, 12:31 pm

I get this sometimes. Someone else mentioned A Beautiful Mind...something about that haunted me, maybe because I see a little of myself in Nash. Another one that haunts me (and in fact I just skimmed through it again last night) is Donnie Darko.

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2006, 3:08 pm

Bland wrote:
Last weekend, I rented this movie from my library; Life is Beautiful starring Italian actor Roberto Benigni. A movie haunting?

I actually saw this move one day when I was home sick. I really enjoyed it.
As far as other movies haunting me, I would have to say I like:

Fairy Tale A True Story,
Sense and Sensibility

I was also moved by A Beautiful Mind
By Haunted I took it to mean that I couldn't get it out of my head...