Other 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 36

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 7:29 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
With the wide variety of views expressed, does this mean that some Aspies may feel offended if other Aspies refer to them as such? :?

DID YOU CALL ME AN ASPIE!! !! ! thems fighting words :lol:

:lol:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 7:46 am

I don't like the term 'aspie'. I tell others that I have Asperger's or if they know a bit I tell them that I have a hf form of autism.

I like it clinical and clean, without personal attachments.

TallyMan wrote:
With the wide variety of views expressed, does this mean that some Aspies may feel offended if other Aspies refer to them as such? :?

I don't like being referred to as 'aspie'. So I tell people who do not to do it, but I don't feel offended.

I would get mad only if they disregarded my request. By frequently referring to me as 'aspie' or specifically referring to groups including me as 'aspies' only.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 8:13 am

I do not want to say I am an Aspie if I am not one, and neither would I want to use that term around anyone who might find it objectionable. I am more inclined toward believing I have AS than HFA, but I do not want to lean that way simply because HFA has no similarly-casual term.

Overall, labels can sometimes just confuse and distract.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 9:11 am

That is, (ie) Asp/Aut topic

I use the diminutive form amongst kith and kin (unless they state otherwise). I do not expect non Spectrum people to label me as such. It does seem condescending when used by them.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2009, 11:22 am

I tend to have the same visceral reaction to "aspie" (short for Asperger's) as I do f a g (short for f a g g o t). It's simply not a welcome word in my life.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 11:48 am

I said I do call myself an aspie, but I think perhaps I could have said other. It depends on the person I am speaking with. I might tell someone that I have autism... but that person, if they know nothing of autism, is most likely going to think I am a liar because I am not Rain Man, so I generally opt to not do that. I will say I have autism though if I have to explain something quickly that is of importance... for example, my llw teacher. I told her I have autism and as a result, if she calls on me to answer a question while music is playing, I will not hear her, so I will not answer her. That gives her what she needs to know in a short and simple burst of information. I do not like to tell people that I have AS because most people have no clue as to what that is... at least most people have heard of autism, even if they are mostly clueless about it. Now, I do not tell people I encounter that I have Aspergers because I hate it when they say things like, "You have what? A-- burgers?" That annoys me more than I can say... bugs the hell out of me. Besides, like the term AS, most people do not know what Aspergers is either. I find it easiest to say to people that I am an Aspie because if they know the word, then no more need be said. If they do not they will then either decide that they do not care what I mean and I do not need to waste their time or mine explaining... or they will ask and I can tell them that it is a cutesy word for a person with a certain type of autism. If they ask for more info, then I will get into more technical and correct terminology and assume that they are clever enough to follow me and decent enough to not snicker like a moron about my a-- burgers. :D

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 12:00 pm

I only use that word here. It sounds silly to me if you say it out loud. But as far as "Do I consider myself that?", I think it's synonymous with AS, Aspergian, HFA or whatever other permutation one chooses in the moment. They all mean the same thing.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2009, 1:31 pm

I've never referred myself as an Aspie. Nor have I ever used the term NT.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 4:33 pm

Officially i'm told I have the general characteristics of NVLD and beyond that I don't know how to define myself. I guess I just believe I have an unspecified and idiosyncratic neuropsychological disorder.
:shrug: