Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2006, 4:24 am

Ok. I have this little issue. Everyone at my school says I follow them everywhere I go, and I feel alone cause no one wants to be my friends becasue of that. I like to follow people because i like to learn what they are doing to see if I am spposed to do the same thing. I don't have my own decisions till i get use to a routine. So does anyone here have the same problem?

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 10:04 am

Jerick,

I had the exact same problem when I was in high school and even in college. Your post brought back memories.

Today issues of my own persist despite my AS being found out so late in my life. There seems to be something there -a tic of some sort -that I haven't found how to tame. Here are some of the things that continue to happen around me. Call it my psychic energy field, call it whatever but:

• Some people, especially women, nervously skitter past me on the sidewalk downtown or move to a seat further from me on the bus when there are more empty seats available. I've had some nervously pull their children away from me as I come around an aisle in the grocery store. It's as if I'm an ogre that will eat them alive and that hurts.

• Dogs go berzerk around me. I have to either ask the owner to remove them or just remove myself from such a place.

• Streetlights shut off as I drive or walk under them at night.

I've seen many similar issues mentioned on other threads on this board. Ignorant jerks will always be an issue with us Aspies as long as ignorance continues to prevail in our society. Painful as it is, I think it's just something we have to live with. The only relief is in being AS-autistic and aware of it.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 11:33 am

Some of my friends told me to stop following them. Why? They cant go to the bathroom alone.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 12:52 pm

I apparently stalk people, but I don't. The main reason is because I know who will be where, when. Not exactly, but I know who has what lessons when, and when people go out in the evening, etc. I was accused of stalking the peripatetic instrumental staff because I know who's in on what day, and approximately what times, and often which other schools they visit and sometimes when they visit those schools, too. I just love learning where people are and when; I'm not sure why.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 9:04 pm

I stalk every now and then, it keeps me interested. That's what I tell them, "I'm bored".

333Onfire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2006, 7:34 pm

I tend to find somebody i am comfortable around and when they leave I feel all akward.sSo i just follow them around subconsciencly.So Ya people have definitly said that before.

hbdragon88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2006, 2:57 am

Yes, I do in fact stalk, although whether it abides by the legal definition of stalking is yet to be seen or determined. My own twisted Aspeger's perspective classifies what i do as information gathering, logical deduction, and common sense, although society (note: my classmates) note it as stalking, creepy, weird, and perverse.

Initial "stalking" occurred in freshmen year, when I began deducing ID numbers from grade sheets. In one instance, a girl kind of taunted me, boasting that she had gotten 20/20 on this one assignment. Nobody took that one assignment seriously, so most of us got low grades on it (I got an 11/20). I go to the grade sheet, look at the column for that assignment grades. There are only two in her period. Her last name is near the middle, so I go back to her and ask, "Is your ID number 300975?" "Stalker!" she cried. And so forth; I memorize the arrangement of last names, the ID number range (318 tends to be A, while 321 tends to be Z), and the likely grade, and figure it out from there.

Stalking has deliberately been enhanced by my precipitous need for social contact, any kind of social contact. I dangerously attempt to fill that need by replaying and letting myself more intimately absorb the interactions, such as when they exclaim "Ohmygosh!" or ask my why I do such things. It's quite possibly the most vicious cycle I have sucked myself in.

ID numbers are yesteryear, unfortunately. Now it's been upgraded to my Canon PowerShot A400. I took 345 pictures in the first two days alone at Yosemite. When I unloaded the pictures, I selected a few of the best and submitted them to SnapFish to print. The response I got from them was lukewarm. Frazzled by the lack of generated controversy, I shrank back into the shadows and waited.

Then we we went on a whale-watching trip. I took 178 pictures of that event, 108 of them being pictures of my classmates. Nearly all of them are candid and secret shots, since I don't believe any other kind of shot is really legitimate; they're fake and posed and unreal. This time, I picked 20 pictures to distribute and generated a good response. Nobody can deny that the pictures are good - one notable one is of a dating couple in an absolutely romantic pose (both are smiling, looking towards the right of the picture frame), or of card games - but nobody denies that it is just a little creepy.

As someone who spends 100% of his time at home, yes I do crave the school environment, and sometimes and purposefully walk alongside people. This doesn't create the controversy; it's the ID numbers and the camera that do all the work for me.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 7:28 pm

Yeah, people think I stalk too sometimes. I am really good with the whole ID thing and I am good at finding where other people have their websites and stuff like that. I can also remember other people's schedules and have good hearing so I can overhear conversations. Really, none of this stuff is hard and I doubt it even qualifies as stalking as all of the information I find is public info and I never directedly try to find out information about one person, I just might be more inclined to remember information about the people I like. One kid who didn't like me thought I was a stalker once because I found his livejournal some time after he admitted to me he had one. He probably did it because he didn't like me and did not expect me to find it.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 8:09 pm

If dogs dont like you they probably have a good reason. Dogs like me. I dont like anyone dogs dont like.

Last edited by ilikedragons on 26 Mar 2006, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2006, 12:31 am

When I was in journalism school, we were taught where to find open records when doing research for a news story. The ones I found most facinating were the marriage licenses, divorce decrees and house deeds. On some of the county assessor's websites, you can put in someone's address and it shows either an arial or ground shot of their home plus the names of all the past owners and how much each paid for the property. It feels sort of like spying but it is public information sooo........

I did a search on the Los Angeles site to see where all the actors and other celebrities live. Unfortunately, others must've had the same idea since only ID numbers, not names, are listed. :(

CatGuy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2006, 1:07 am

I don't stalk people (on purpose anyway), but people think so. I blend into crowds easily, so I can meet a friend and follow him for quite a while before actually being noticed.

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2006, 12:19 am

these are all wonderful :) i can see the relationship with the disorder... so i am pretty glad I am not a lone... i mean everyone never wants to sit with me in lunch anymore because of it (what jerks). So it makes me 'warm' inside that i can relate more and mrore each day

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2006, 10:39 pm

Papillon says "streetlights shut off as I drive or walk under them at night"
Mistaking cause and effect most likely. The light has a bad ballast the light goes out. Not you pasting makes them go out. The odds are better than you think that this can happen.

joranxerix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2006, 4:44 am

No... because I don't.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2006, 9:26 am

I feel like I am just being friendly with people when I ask them how they are doing. However, they have only heard of me, and know of me.

I have no intention of being mean to whoever the person is that I talk to. It just always seems to work out in such a way that I do have bad intentions. I don't know why.

moomin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2006, 2:45 pm

i stalked a few boys at school that, finding out what their school timetables were, where they lived, etc. When i look back now, i'm embarressed and it's no suprise i have only one friend from my school days!
never was obsessed with people in general as preferred my own company. Just watched people from a distance. I think also i learnt early to laugh at my wierd behaviour when other people laughed at it, so it gave the impression that my habits were ok. It's a technique i still employ-giggle when i'm doing strange things so people don't get serious about my funny habits.