Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 3:24 pm

Although everyone with an Austism Spectrum Disorder is necessarily socially impaired this doesn't mean that all socially impaired people are on the Austism Spectrum.

Social impairment is only one of the traits for those with Asperger's Syndrome.

I wonder what percentage of NTs are socially impaired, but without the joy of; narrow interests, compulsive need for routines etc that make our lives so charmed.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 3:30 pm

This is very true. I've know a lot of NT people with terrible social skills. But, I think part of the reason I notice this is because I'm on the autistic spectrum and I want everyone to follow the same rules; social conduct is a sort of rule.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 3:51 pm

no, i think to be on the spectrum you need a bunch of symptoms all together for a person to be on the spectrum. There are some socially ackward NT's. Where I am, I always notice that they are only mildly socially ackward and not as bad as I am. And yes not everybody on the spectrum is impaired. Everybody has different strengths and weaknesses.

29 Oct 2009, 3:52 pm

My dad has poor social skills and I think mine are better than his.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 3:53 pm

I don't know about percentages but a lot of not-autistic people have social anxiety disorder.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 4:36 pm

I'm dealing with supposed NTs that have no manner whatsoever right now... worse still, they're researchers on autism :roll:

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 5:28 pm

There are specific patterns of social and communication impairment involved in AS. Those meeting such criteria are more likely to not be "NT", and at least be something like BAP or PDD-NOS.

DSM-IV

A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

Gillberg

1.Severe impairment in reciprocal social interaction
(at least two of the following)
(a) inability to interact with peers
(b) lack of desire to interact with peers
(c) lack of appreciation of social cues
(d) socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior

5.Non-verbal communication problems
(at least one of the following)
(a) limited use of gestures
(b) clumsy/gauche body language
(c) limited facial expression
(d) inappropriate expression
(e) peculiar, stiff gaze

Last edited by outlier on 29 Oct 2009, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 5:42 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Although everyone with an Austism Spectrum Disorder is necessarily socially impaired this doesn't mean that all socially impaired people are on the Austism Spectrum.

Social impairment is only one of the traits for those with Asperger's Syndrome.

I wonder what percentage of NTs are socially impaired, but without the joy of; narrow interests, compulsive need for routines etc that make our lives so charmed.

First, we have to decide:

a) What is a NT;

and

b) What exactly is "socially impaired"