Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm

Hearing Test Results
You correctly identified 26 tunes (out of 26) on the Distorted Tunes Test. Congratulations! You have a fine sense of pitch.

It was the Beethoven one that I had a bit of trouble with, had to play it a couple of times.

I couldn't do the 'perfect pitch' test as I don't know the music notation. :oops:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 8:16 am

elderwanda wrote:
Aimless wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Aimless wrote:
I have no musical knowledge but I found a website once where you listened to familiar tunes (American mostly) like Happy Birthday etc and rated whether it was correct or incorrect. Some were only a tiny bit off and some I had to listen to again and then guess. I got a high score-like 26/30. I can tell when something is off because it makes me cringe.

what was the website?

I wish I could find it -I have a bad habit of not writing things down (or if I do losing the piece of paper) I found it by googling perfect pitch or something and I think it may have been a link from a site. I have tried recreating the search with no results.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/tunetest/dtt.asp

I don't know if this is the one, but it sounds like something similar. I got 25 correct out of 26. There was one song that I didn't recognize, so perhaps that was the one I got wrong. On that other link, however, where you say what note is being played, I got like 3 out of 12, and those were just lucky guesses.

I'm not sure how familiar these song will be to people on WP, though. They were mostly the kinds of songs we learned in an American elementary school music classroom in the 1970's. Some of the mistakes seem pretty blatant to me, though, but I don't know if that's because I know the song, or because some mistakes just sound like crap.

I think that all that's needed for that test is exposure to Western tonal music, and a decent musical ear. Familiarity with the songs shouldn't be needed. To test my theory, here are a couple of things that I just tossed off using my notation software. Since they were written 5 minutes ago, they shouldn't be familiar to anyone but me.
Which one sounds wrong?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzmzwgdmy24/example1.wav

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u4mmm2zj0jz/example2.wav

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 12:21 pm

http://detrave.net/nblume/perfect-pitch/ I beat the game so many times

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 2:02 pm

Sati wrote:
Is having perfect pitch a talent you're born with, or a learned skill?

I'm pretty sure it's something you learn, though I suppose there will always be people who are unable to learn certain things, no matter how hard they try.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 10:56 am

I think I have it, or am very close to it.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 11:04 am

Does it count if you can sing pitches, but can't do it unless you hear it?

Any song I hear just about I'm pretty much dead on with it, but if someone were to say... "sing me a G" I wouldn't know what they meant unless I heard it first.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

concerto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2009, 7:45 pm

I have perfect pitch and sometimes take part in research studies which measure it. Lots of people just hate you for having it - they can be really rude and mean. It's one of the things I "do" well haha except for math. I studied music professionally and didn't even know I had it until years later as an adult, and I studied music at a late age. I can't explain it, but I'm glad to have it. There is a test online if you want to see how you score (my last score was 100% - I was really paying attention and not having any trouble clicking with the mouse haha - the chance of getting such a score just by pure guesswork would be 1 in a trillion for the first test, which had 80 tones to identify, according to their website). I feel good when I do perfect pitch games too -there is one online which scores you and it's fun to play. On the other hand, I'm on disability and have trouble with social interactions, so you can't have everything! If anyone is from Montreal, let me know, come say hello to me!

Shawn, Montreal Canada

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 7:58 pm

concerto wrote:
If anyone is from Montreal, let me know, come say hello to me!

Shawn, Montreal Canada

Bonjour Shawn! Je suis d'Ontario.

concerto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2009, 8:08 pm

jc6chan wrote:
nblume perfect pitch game I beat the game so many times

I love that game - but at level 16 it seems to stop working, don't know if you noticed that.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 9:08 pm

concerto wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
nblume perfect pitch game I beat the game so many times

I love that game - but at level 16 it seems to stop working, don't know if you noticed that.

ya i wish there was more

Chobitsfan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Nov 2009, 10:33 pm

When I was in my late teens and early twenty I could just about figure out anything on Guitar,
But when I started playing in my mid teens it seemed to take me longer than normal to learn to form cords and learn where all the notes where, and I had trouble keeping time because that required thinking about two things at once.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 7:41 am

concerto wrote:
I have perfect pitch and sometimes take part in research studies which measure it. Lots of people just hate you for having it - they can be really rude and mean.

Yes, I have noticed this, too. I've speculated that perfect pitch has given me a wicked good ear, which really comes in handy when you're taking ear training courses. In fact, I was so naturally good at sight singing I passed out of all of those classes in college.

Relative pitch is important, too, but I would say that perfect pitch has given me a distinct advantage when playing by ear. Now, I'm a fiddler and pretty much completely play by ear (hardly ever from music). It feels so much more natural to me.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 8:51 am

How can you tell? I don't even know quite what it means. It seems to me like most people can hit exact notes when they sing. (Like, the happy birthday song is ALWAYS the same. The tune does not drift at ALL even though it's pretty much only transferred from person to person by mouth instead of recording.) How is it different from that?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 9:57 am

wigglyspider wrote:
How can you tell? I don't even know quite what it means. It seems to me like most people can hit exact notes when they sing. (Like, the happy birthday song is ALWAYS the same. The tune does not drift at ALL even though it's pretty much only transferred from person to person by mouth instead of recording.) How is it different from that?

Possibly related but slightly different. There are a lot of people out there, for instance, that can start singing certain phrases and know that they are singing in a particular key. Happy Birthday is a good example of this. Another good example is the Star Wars theme; many people naturally and consistently sing this in C major.

If you're at all uncertain, have someone play a random note on a piano without you looking. If you can reliably identify which note is being played, you have what someone called passive absolute pitch. If you can sing any note reliably upon request, you have active absolute pitch. (I didn't know before this thread that some people have passive without active.)

Interesting side story. My piano at home is currently tuned down a half step down because the tuner was afraid he'd snap the strings if he tuned it to concert pitch. (We got it for free and it hasn't been tuned in probably decades, so that's why.) It's strange because you'd think this would bother me. It turns out that it only bothers me if I hear isolated, random notes on it. If I'm accompanying a tune, I'm fine with it and can "turn off" my absolute pitch.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 1:44 pm

I've had perfect pitch as a child. I also used to be able to play complex classical pieces on the piano by ear. As I've developed other abilities, though, I've lost my gift. Now I'm just ordinary at it. I'm pretty sure I could bring it back if I work hard, but I have no motivation to do so.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 8:25 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
I think that all that's needed for that test is exposure to Western tonal music, and a decent musical ear. Familiarity with the songs shouldn't be needed. To test my theory, here are a couple of things that I just tossed off using my notation software. Since they were written 5 minutes ago, they shouldn't be familiar to anyone but me.
Which one sounds wrong?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzmzwgdmy24/example1.wav

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u4mmm2zj0jz/example2.wav

The first file sounds fine while the second one sounds bad to my ears.

I'm curious, your second file and some of those on http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/tunetest/dtt.asp sounds really ugly to me. Do some people really can't hear anything wrong? Do these tests really test for perfect pitch?