Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2009, 10:33 pm

I know this was asked before a while ago, but I am curious about the handwriting skills of my fellow WPers.

My own handwriting is atrocious. It was hard for people to read when I was a kid, and I think it has gotten worse since college, since taking lecture notes makes one write faster. I remember reading something I had written aloud in class and stumbling because I couldn't read what I had written; everyone, including the teacher, laughed. I type almost anything I put down on paper, except my signature; it's just as illegible, but I like the way it looks.

So do you have good handwriting, or do you have to look at it yourself for a minute or two to figure out what you wrote?

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Last edited by beejay on 05 Nov 2009, 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 10:36 pm

My handwriting varies a lot, but at no point would I consider it to be "good". It looks pretty much exactly the same as it did when I was 12.

hazelm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2009, 11:02 pm

I can write neatly if I take my time, but if I'm writing fast, it's almost completely illegible.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 11:04 pm

Mine is no better than yours. Sometimes I'll find old things I wrote and not be able to read it - the recent ones I remember well enough to make sense of it, though.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm

Your handwriting looks good compared to mine.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 11:17 pm

I remember when I was very young and at kindergarten or somesuch, we had to get these cards with sentences written out, just short ones, and copy them onto another card. I used to love doing it, love copying the words out as neatly as I possibly could. I found it calming. But nowadays, it is terrible. I find it is actually an effort to hand write things, I cannot write in a straight line either.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm

Mine has always been neatish, although, it isn't consistant with one style. I write all differet ways and also depends on what i am writing with.

Laney2005
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2009, 11:33 pm

I was a straight-A student in grade school, except for Handwriting class. My teachers would always grade me low for my effort in it as well. They didn't know how hard I was trying to just hold the stupid pencil! They must have stuck every stupid pencil grip known to man on my pencils, trying to get me to "do it right". It never really worked, as I still hold a pencil in a snarling death grip. Now, my print can be legible, but only if I use .5mm mechanical pencils or fine-tipped pens and concentrate on it. I still can't write in cursive. I will even mix up the letters in my own signature when I have to sign my name with any sort of speed.

Thank God for computers, even though it took college to get me to do anything other than hunt-and-peck typing. I had to cheat to pass typing class in junior high. The teacher made us cover up the keyboard with a towel so we couldn't see what keys we were hitting. I couldn't feel them, either, just the nasty tan towel. I would yank off the towel when the teacher wasn't looking and type furiously to try to keep up. I still have to look at the keyboard when I type, but it's so much better than writing by hand.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 11:46 pm

Hello Beejay,

I think my current writing skills are marginally better than yours.

Almost everything that I write now is typed and my writing which is seen by others is more or less restricted to signatures.

My handwriting used to be much better :roll:

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 1:02 am

My handwriting is almost completely illegible unless printed extremely slowly. I never learned to write cursive despite being forced to copy lines on the board frequently in fourth grade. I just agonized over copying the shapes eighty times over.

My signature is a giant lowercase "a" with a scrawl followed by a printed "D" and another scrawl. It looks the same (more or less) every time, but it doesn't look like letters. I'm fairly sure it's not letters, were the world's most brilliant handwriting analyst to shrink, stretch, or otherwise manipulate the scrawl.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 2:06 am

I used to write in cursive from Years 3 - 8, and then after that I switched to printed.

My writing is readable but "childish" when done quickly, eg in a lecture in the past.
People have commented that my handwriting looks like it was done by a kid in Primary school.

I'm eternally grateful for laptops coz I have a much better chance (with my typing speed) to keep up with what the lecturer's saying.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 9:07 am

My handwriting is mostly good. I like to print and use all capital letters. I never properly learned how to write in cursive, so when I do try to write like that it is a disjointed mess of poor cursive and lowercase print. My handwriting is inconsistent. Some of my cursive (and I use that term loosely) is legible, while some of it is more difficult to read. My print is always neat and precise.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 9:12 am

Whether in cursive or printed, my handwriting is legible if I take the time to go slowly and think about each letter ... but then my hand soon begins to cramp.

InaNagini
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2009, 9:16 am

My handwriting is kind of schizofrenic.

Depending on how slowly and carefully I write, my handwriting varies from nice and readible to something a blind one writes in a drunken state.

I also hold the pen in a different way than anyone I've ever met.

danace2000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2009, 9:17 am

My handwriting is pretty bad, it actually looks the same as yours, no matter how hard I try the size and line consistency is all over the place.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 9:39 am

I use block capitals exclusively. My cursive handwriting is atrocious.

The year is still young.