Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2010, 12:46 pm

A preacher once said, that if the tongues out of order, then the rest of the body is as well. Swearng is bad because it leads to more sinning. Sure some "Christians" will curse but the majority do not. I don't like swearing but I'm use to hearing it in my everyday life.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:57 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Swearing is offensive to many people

But why?

It's like as if people are just programmed at an early age that it has to be offensive and you have to be uncomfortable when you hear those words. Why not get over it like every other childish thing like santa clause and yahweh/allah and the tooth fairy.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 3:54 pm

You are ALL wrong. ;)

Swearing in the context of the Bible means making an oath. One of the highest crimes in the OT is breaking a promise or oath. To swear in God's name meant to make a promise of the highest order, and breaking that oath had the most severe consequences.

When Jesus said don't swear at all, what He meant, to forgive my oversimplification, was to avoid empty promises. If you avoid that which causes you sin, then you may avoid sin itself.

Cursing signals evil intent and simply should not be done. A curse is something like, "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits."

Somehow we've extended swearing and cursing to include any kind of profane language. So while "f*ck you" is clearly profane, it happens to be a curse as well because of the various meanings of the word "f*ck." "Sh!+" happens to be another "ugly word," but I'm not sure how I see it falling among swearing and cursing in the technical sense. Foul language tends to be most often insulting rather than actually used as swears or curses.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 4:55 pm

There are several kinds of swearing it seems to me.

Both Judaism and Christianity put a value on words like God and strongly feel a word like that is glorious and always to be respected. As I understand it, orthodox Judaism is pretty close to not wanting to the word God at all because it is such a holy word.

Cussing as in using four letter words is frequently viewed as a lack of manners and civility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manners

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 6:55 am

pgd wrote:

Both Judaism and Christianity put a value on words like God and strongly feel a word like that is glorious and always to be respected. As I understand it, orthodox Judaism is pretty close to not wanting to the word God at all because it is such a holy word.

Cussing as in using four letter words is frequently viewed as a lack of manners and civility.

I agree on that last sentence, and I do avoid such language as much as possible. Sometimes, though, in the heat of the moment, there just isn't any other way to say what you mean! Doesn't make it right, though...

"God" is not strictly a holy word, though. "God" initially referred to any deity, what I like to call the "little g's." Any time "God" is mentioned in ancient literature, including Greek literature, "Big G" God referred to THE God, not necessarily a god with a name--apart and greater than the "little g" pantheon.

In the OT, the proper name for "God" is what we refer to as the tetragrammaton: YHWH, or Yahweh. When you see "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain," what it really means is "Do no misuse God's name." God's name was so holy that there were only certain people who could even say it, and even then only at certain specified times. The actual pronunciation of YHWH has been lost in part due to this practice, only surviving via the people of Samaria.

Other descriptive names for Yahweh have come into usage, most notably "El," which does mean "God" in a more literal sense. Other words meaning King and Lord are used. My personal opinion on this (meaning I don't have facts to back it up, just guessing) is that these other words came in to usage to avoid misusing the name Yahweh. With the Name having become obscure, what's fascinating to me is that, as a Christian, we know a new name for God, Y'shua, from which we get the name Jesus. Having the name and being instructed to call on it, Christians believe that humanity's relationship with God is restored.

It's a shame that even "Jesus" is also used as an obscenity, though given the state of human nature it isn't surprising.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 7:05 am

I find swearing bad, but not in a religious sort of way. I just don't like seeing people, especially other kids, use that language :|

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2010, 7:55 am

“What’s the big deal about profanity?” It’s a question I sometimes hear from young people who consider profanity a normal part of modern communication. Indeed, some Christian leaders in supposedly “cutting-edge” ministries use profanity in their presentations in an attempt to relate to the street language many unsaved people use.

What is profanity? The word profane literally means “outside the temple.” The term originally identified people or things that were secular as opposed to religious. The proliferation of profanity in American culture indicates secularization and an attack on Christian values. Media ratings of movies, music and videos continue to use language as a criterion, but standards of censorship on public airwaves are clearly eroding.

Profanity is used for shock value in expressing anger and humor. The words often are associated with sexuality and filth. Names of the Deity are used to bring additional potency and irreverence to the expressions. It is worth noting in our politically correct culture that the blasphemous use of the names of God and Jesus Christ are not regarded as “hate speech.”

The Bible recognizes the power of words. God spoke His creation into existence, and the gift of speech is one aspect of man’s creation in the image of God (Gen. 2:19-20). In the revelation of God’s law, words as well as actions are assigned moral values. Lying, blasphemy, taking the Lord’s name in vain, and cursing are examples of sinful speech forbidden in the Mosaic Law.

The New Testament also commands believers to be pure in speech by controlling their tongues: “With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who are made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things should not be this way” (James 3:9-10). Christians should honor the purpose of speech by using our mouths to praise God and leading others to obey the Lord through faith in Jesus Christ. Every word we speak should be “gracious” and “seasoned with salt” (Col. 4:6). We should always ask, “What would Jesus say?”

Christians are called upon to live differently and to act differently than the world of unbelievers. I do not need to speak profanity to win a cursing unbeliever anymore than I need to drink alcohol to win an alcoholic. The words of Scripture have all the potency and power we need to reach the heart of the lost.

“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, LORD, my rock and my Redeemer” (Psalm 19:14).

An article I found on google. 8)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 8:47 am

Swearing in what sense?

Taking an oath.

Uttering blasphemy?

Uttering base things to relieve stress?

ruveyn

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

So called English swear words.
"Blimey" is short for "God blight me"
"Struth" is short for "God's truth" etc.

Those words might offend god but why should he be offended by "bloody" or "butt" or "crap"?

Wolfman Jack got fired for saying "booger". Go figure.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 10:25 pm

In Mexico City, there's a Catholic priest who's [in]famous for using swear words in his homilies to attract druggies and gangsters.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 4:25 am

i have long gotten the impression from others, that folk who dislike hearing other folk use profanity also dislike seeing strong open displays of emotion in general.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 5:15 am

mgran wrote:
I always thought swearing was bad, long before I was a Christian, not because there was anything morally wrong about it, but because it is a lazy use of language. Why use a scatalogical term when you can express your frustration in more imaginative ways? I hear people use adjectival nouns relating to the human body or alimentary system, and it puzzles me... It just seems the words are being used incorrectly, that's all.

Regarding the other form of swearing, taking the name of God in vain, for example... that's just disrespectful.

The other one is just lazy, but generally overlooked as such because of cultural and linguistic mores.

Because it's a very quick, effective way of expressing oneself. Verbosity =/= always better.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i have long gotten the impression from others, that folk who dislike hearing other folk use profanity also dislike seeing strong open displays of emotion in general.

Yes, prohibitions on swearing, profanity, obscenity, and curse words are just an attempt to control others' emotions and attitudes by attempting to control common expressions thereof. Anger, irreverence and hostility are often expressed through profanity, so prohibitions on phrases like "f**k you!" are an attempt to prohibit anger.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 11:01 pm

PHISHA51 wrote:
A preacher once said, that if the tongues out of order, then the rest of the body is as well. Swearng is bad because it leads to more sinning.

That's what a preacher said, but has nothing to do with the bible, does it?.

How does swearing lead to more sinning?

Quote:
Sure some "Christians" will curse but the majority do not. I don't like swearing but I'm use to hearing it in my everyday life.

dubious.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 12:46 am

AngelRho wrote:
pgd wrote:

I agree on that last sentence, and I do avoid such language as much as possible. Sometimes, though, in the heat of the moment, there just isn't any other way to say what you mean! Doesn't make it right, though...

"God" is not strictly a holy word, though. "God" initially referred to any deity, what I like to call the "little g's." Any time "God" is mentioned in ancient literature, including Greek literature, "Big G" God referred to THE God, not necessarily a god with a name--apart and greater than the "little g" pantheon.

In the OT, the proper name for "God" is what we refer to as the tetragrammaton: YHWH, or Yahweh. When you see "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain," what it really means is "Do no misuse God's name." God's name was so holy that there were only certain people who could even say it, and even then only at certain specified times. The actual pronunciation of YHWH has been lost in part due to this practice, only surviving via the people of Samaria.

Other descriptive names for Yahweh have come into usage, most notably "El," which does mean "God" in a more literal sense. Other words meaning King and Lord are used. My personal opinion on this (meaning I don't have facts to back it up, just guessing) is that these other words came in to usage to avoid misusing the name Yahweh. With the Name having become obscure, what's fascinating to me is that, as a Christian, we know a new name for God, Y'shua, from which we get the name Jesus. Having the name and being instructed to call on it, Christians believe that humanity's relationship with God is restored.

It's a shame that even "Jesus" is also used as an obscenity, though given the state of human nature it isn't surprising.

There are various forms of swearing. References to body functions such as copulation and defecation and urination offends some people because they are horrified that they are animals that must perform normal animal body functions to stay alive and reproduce and perhaps gain some pleasure from bodily functions. The words "defecation" and "copulation" need no stars to be written out although they mean the same as the forbidden words. Mere custom, I suppose.
Religious swearing probably is offensive because there is an ancient sense that words have powers to invoke super normal action from powerful mythical beings. They are magic and can cause evil, according to old superstition. To say "God damn" is a form of prayer for God to perform an act of punishment. It's a kind of black magic. It is, of course, all foolishness and the social function is purposefully to cause ill feelings. There are many ways to cause social ill feelings from open flatulence to popular gestures such as the middle finger and mooning and more subtle forms of linguistic contempt. Society obviously finds all of this very useful in interpersonal reaction and to attempt to eliminate it is rank foolishness.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2010, 10:21 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
PHISHA51 wrote:
A preacher once said, that if the tongues out of order, then the rest of the body is as well. Swearng is bad because it leads to more sinning.

That's what a preacher said, but has nothing to do with the bible, does it?.

How does swearing lead to more sinning?

Quote:
Sure some "Christians" will curse but the majority do not. I don't like swearing but I'm use to hearing it in my everyday life.

dubious.

WWJS (What Would Jesus Say) :?: I have another post on here that explains it. Hopefully it helps. In response to swearing to sinning, Christians are called to be in the world but not of it. Because the world is under sin, God wants Christians to be his example and his image. The "Salt and Light of the Earth". Words like cursing or profanity bring others down and using God's name in vain is a violation of the 4th commandment.God however wants to raise people up with good and encouraging words. The pastor was trying to help the church out when he explained this. "Any pastor that will use profanity in his pulpit is childish! That is one of the most carnal things you will ever see and it speaks volumes of the pastors lifestyle outside of the church. The bible says that if the tongue is out of order, the rest of the body is as well, so, you just got your sign on whether or not this is the person to bring your family under". Its a spiritual issue for us Christians trust me. 8)