Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 2:15 am

part of what wrecked my perfect pitch [aside from aging], was playing clarinet for many years, as its native pitch is one whole tone below concert pitch, and the two are forever locked in argument in my brain's aural center.

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2014, 5:09 pm

People first started to really notice it when I took my Music Theory Diagnostic Exam as a freshmen in college, and I got 100% on it AND even labeled all of the examples (like what intervals were played - C to D, C to Bb, etc.) on the exam with their pitch names completely accurately. My Theory professor told me, after he had graded the exams, that in all of the twelve years that he had been teaching at the university, he had only met one other student with absolute pitch. He subsequently let me skip the Music Fundamentals class and go straight to Music Theory I. My "substitute" Theory prof said that it was a rare talent, something that would really come in handy when I graduated and started a career. Naming pitches doesn't stop there though. Oh no, I can even name chord names, with their inversions (most of the time) - instead of just naming the roman numeral and identifying the chord's context within a phrase. And best of all - I can identify a piece of music's key signature within the first 10 seconds or so of listening to it (that's my favorite attribute). I'm a little off on occasion, ESPECIALLY when tuning a guitar (I'm probably off by anywhere between 10 and 50 cents), but I still have it nonetheless. I delight in it. I relish it. I think in music, and I even seem to BREATHE it. Whenever I am doing something, there's always a song playing over and over in the back of my head like a background process in a computer CPU. Even as I type this very reply, I'm thinking of Dream Theater's "Octavarium," a song I've had a bit of an obsession about for a little while now. Seriously, music is beginning to feel like child's play to me at this point, so call me a conceited and arrogant ass, but I just can't help it! Anyway's to make a long story short - yes, I have perfect pitch (both relative and absolute).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 5:13 pm

^^^
welcome to the club 8)

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm

I'm pretty sure I have it. I can not only tell what note is being played, but also what musical key a song is in. But I do also have very good relative pitch. I have read that absolute pitch does seem to be common in those with autism and also in those who are visually impaired.

I am a singer, but one does not have to be a singer or musician to possess this ability.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm

peaceloveerin wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have it. I can not only tell what note is being played, but also what musical key a song is in. But I do also have very good relative pitch. I have read that absolute pitch does seem to be common in those with autism and also in those who are visually impaired.

I am a singer, but one does not have to be a singer or musician to possess this ability.

I am not a singer or musician but I have it.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2014, 7:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:

Does seem to be common among us Aspies whether or not we're musically inclined! :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 7:17 pm

peaceloveerin wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:

Does seem to be common among us Aspies whether or not we're musically inclined! :D

it comes in handy with my audio restoration hobby.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:27 am

i have great relative pitch; i can reproduce a note i heared 90% of the time on any instrument i'm proficient with, but i can not tell you which note it is unless i have reproduced it, then reverse-engineering into what note i was playing

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2014, 2:00 pm

I have perfect pitch. My music teacher found out I had it in Year 8. For a while other people in my year group sang a note and asked me what it was. Once in Year 9 I was even asked to tune a ukulele in class.

When listening to music I always like to work out what key it's in and imagine what it'd sound like in other keys.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2014, 10:26 am

I don't.

But once in a while, when I sit down at the piano to play a piece, I am 100% sure what pitch it's going to begin in.

I am annoyed by classical music snobs who say that their favorite key is D major or whatever. I think they're kidding themselves, since perfect pitch is very rare. In many forms of classical music (e.g. solo piano), there is virtually no discernible difference between instruments playing in one key versus a nearby key.

Having written that, I'm a classical music fanatic. I even have some snob tendencies, but I keep them to myself.

I'd like to thank Google for helping me spell "discernible". :salut: