Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Silverweed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2009, 2:51 pm

So my private coach (we met two years ago---it's only been a few months that we've been working one on one) and I usually meet up and have a lesson on Thursdays at 2:30. I sent him an email yesterday morning about whether we were going to meet and later on when I checked my email, I saw in my chat list that he was online, but he didn't reply to my lesson query.

Being the social-phobic person I am, I've been somewhat worried about his unresponsiveness. If he doesn't email me back later on today---is it ok for me to make a phone call? As I've picked up on this board, Aspies in general can have trouble knowing what exactly is an appropriate way to behave, and I'm just sort of not sure whether its OK to call a teacher, especially considering that he's a really busy guy and he's just been barely squeezing in time to teach me. But the thing is, I really need to know whether or not we're gonna have a lesson.

And... am I being neurotic?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 3:43 pm

I'd think so, you're making sure that the lesson is still happening tomorrow (because it's not every Thursday). I would guess that you have given him time to get back to you when I'm saying this. Make sure that you don't call him too late in the evening, no later than nine pm.

Silverweed

11 Nov 2009, 3:54 pm

Quote:
I'd think so, you're making sure that the lesson is still happening tomorrow (because it's not every Thursday).

Well no, we've been meeting every Thursday. But the thing is, he never actually announced "we're going to meet every Thursday at 2:30." That just happens to be the time we've been arranging our lessons through email. I'm not altogether sure whether he has simply assumed that it's our regular time for us, so that's why I've been emailing every week just in case.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2009, 4:03 pm

I would call and at the same time try to establish that time-slot long-term. As in either of you call if you can't make it.

Silverweed

11 Nov 2009, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Try to establish that time-slot long-term

So like, how would one phrase that? It's a bit of an awkward question.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 7:26 pm

I don't think you sound neurotic. If it's not 'official', then there's no harm calling.

When you call, you could always ask if you should always presume that Thursdays are training days. There's no reason for him to get upset at your query.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 7:46 am

I read your post and I generally think that one phone call to your coach sounds appropriate. I would call him and say something like, "Hi, this is so and so. I know that you must be busy because I sent you an e-mail. You also asked him about the meeting time." If it's a voice mail, just leave a message like the one above with your phone number.