15 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm

i have deep set eyes..

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 2:20 pm

stripey wrote:
If 100 photos of faces were shown and twenty were autistic i think i would be able to pick out a large percentage of the autistic faces.

I can also tell if someone is gay, just by there eyes, the eyes are female.

Anybody else have this ability or recognize autistic facial characteristics.

I can tell if someone is black or white just by looking at their eyes.

The skin colour around the eyes is a dead give away.

I can usually tell if someone is sleeping by looking at their eyes.

I can also tell if someone is crying, just by looking at their eyes.

Can you tell if someone is a republican by looking at their eyes?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 2:43 pm

I am a wee tad skeptical.
This fall in along the lines of--you can tell someone is lying because they might not make eye contact and may play with their hair and/or touch their faces when they talk.
I touch my face a lot and I don't make eye contact. Would that mean I am always lying?

At the same time..I am curious as to whether or not I have the look... :wink:
I have the round face..wide-eyed-young for my age look...and my eyes are set differently...so I look a wee tad-touched sometimes....but uh...I don't know whether it means I automatically look autistic....I just sorta look like a goon. :) (one can see what I look like on my You Tube link below...

Now for the game show....Autistic......Not Autistic.....
(different faces are shown and contestants must guess)

Autistic? or not Autistic?

(this was meant as a joke)

shirochan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2009, 2:49 am

I don't think I could always tell, but a lot of autistic people I've seen have something physically different from an NT. I can't quite say what it is, but it's enough evidence for me to say that this is a condition that may have physiological roots....or symptoms...I can't really say which it is at this point.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:58 am

It would be useful if someone could provide pictorial evidence and pointed out how said person looks autistic or not.

I do not look at faces much and therefore describing eyes nose jaw lines face shape... it's completely meaningless to me. Pics.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 5:15 am

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 4:25 pm

Blindspot149

I can tell if someone is black or white just by looking at their eyes.

The skin colour around the eyes is a dead give away.

I can usually tell if someone is sleeping by looking at their eyes.

I can also tell if someone is crying, just by looking at their eyes.

Can you tell if someone is a republican by looking at their eyes?

You really are a smartarse, f**k off, never posting again on this site

angelicgoddess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 4:55 pm

I guess I can recognise autistic people too. it's hard to separate the facial features from the whole person though. Most of us have a typical somewhat a-rhytmic walk too... I have the high forehead and the sunken eyes, so does my ADD husband. All men I find attractive have autistic characteristics, i even think the most handsome men in tv (by my standards) are on the spectrum too.

It is an somewhat naive, child like gaze along with a clumsy-and-scatter-brained-professor mimicry and eyes that seem to look either all around the place (hunting) or looking at nothing (dreaming). Forehead is high, yes. I also think we tend to look either way to old or way too young for our age (hubby is 14 yrs older, nobody ever notices).

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 6:13 pm

I have a very babyish body posture, and my fingers curl up in a funny way...kinda like a kid...and I stim a lot and pace and go up on my toes a lot...and that..plus my funny voice....might be more of an indication that there is something going on with me...than my face..

My point is that there could be so many factors affecting the way a persons face looks in any given photo that i would not be one to judge...unless I was face to face with them in person and was able to interact with them enough to know them a little bit.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2009, 2:10 am

Well I have propoagnosia (sp?), so I can't see it in other people. But me and my Aspie boyfriend both look older than we are, and have been mistaken for brother and sister a few times, and twins once!! !

angelicgoddess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 4:15 am

If autism is a genetic anormality, then our hunch doesn't have to be BS, it's actually quite logical. We can all recognise a person with down syndrom because we know what to look for, unrelated people with down syndrom look more alike then their own familiy. Maybe in autism we just don't exactly know what to look for yet.

check this out: http://www.autism-pdd.net/testdump/test20021.htm

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 4:47 am

It has been my experience (re: people whom I've met in person) that people with AS tend to have very thin lips. However, Tory's pics show that this is not always the case.

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 4:47 am

http://tinyurl.com/ya7wqjd Take a look at the pics of Phillip V look Aspie to you? I say no but I am.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 8:14 pm

j0sh wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm skeptical. A person's heritage (African, Asian, European, ect) would have significant impact on facial features. If you were presented with 5 pictures of persons of different heritage (one Asian, one African, one Eskimo, one white European, and someone from a Pacific Island like Hawaii), do you really think you could pick the one person?

not like you could tell if they had Down's Syndrome

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2009, 3:40 am

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. AS does have a somewhat well-defined, but underdocumented, phenotype. I agree on the large forehead - another thing is cumulation of "baby fat" on the neck and chin area. Is that what you meant when you referenced the jawline? Things I've noticed:

-large forehead
-cumulation of "baby fat" on neck and chin area
-head shaped like upside down egg
-eyes that slope downward from the center, like / \
-temples that look to be partly on the front of the face, rather than entirely on the sides
-naturally bushy eyebrows
-high cheek bones, especially prevalent while smiling

On a slightly related note, have you noticed that many people with AS look young for their age?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 4:47 am

I also think there are some physical differences, but they are very hard to describe, and probably also very subtle. It is kind of the same thing as with facial expressions. There are minor differences there as well that are really hard to pin-point, yet identifying them seems to come natural. That might be the reason it is so hard to pin-point them. I currently research smiley-interpretations in Aspie-quiz, and there too seems to be some minor differences. I hope that it will eventually be possible to show these differences, and make them correlate highly with ASC-traits, but the road to that goal does not seem to be easy.