Recognizing Autistic Facial Features.

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 4:47 am

I also think there are some physical differences, but they are very hard to describe, and probably also very subtle. It is kind of the same thing as with facial expressions. There are minor differences there as well that are really hard to pin-point, yet identifying them seems to come natural. That might be the reason it is so hard to pin-point them. I currently research smiley-interpretations in Aspie-quiz, and there too seems to be some minor differences. I hope that it will eventually be possible to show these differences, and make them correlate highly with ASC-traits, but the road to that goal does not seem to be easy.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 8:25 am

I would be more inclined to go with a vibe from the facial expression than from the actual features...

Here are some photos I took while at a festival. Some of these people I know and some I don't know...
Would anyone make assumptions as to whether or not they are on the spectrum just by looking at them?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 10:36 am

ASPy with my little eye topic

Tory Canuck's eyes are nothing like mine. From photos I have seen on WP there is a lot of diversity. And that is good.

I do not look at eyes deeply unless I see something unusual. I look as though I stare, but I do not.

I do not think you can judge an Aspie by the "cover."

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 11:53 am

iSpy wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/ya7wqjd Take a look at the pics of Phillip V look Aspie to you? I say no but I am.

Yes, you look Aspie.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 11:56 am

The main problem is that there is a genetic-pool of Aspie not a single gene or a specific zone, so it's possible that there is something like 3-4 very different Aspie phenotype. For istance me and my wife are very different but both of us have what I consider an "Aspie face". We both look younger than our age (expecially her).

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 11:50 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I would be more inclined to go with a vibe from the facial expression than from the actual features...

Here are some photos I took while at a festival. Some of these people I know and some I don't know...
Would anyone make assumptions as to whether or not they are on the spectrum just by looking at them?]

If I were to try to guess if/which of those people were on the spectrum I'd guess the guy in the black, and white shirt in the first picture, and the guy in the black shirt in the last one. Though, it's not because of the face itself, but rather their posture, along with expression, ect...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 12:29 pm

You were right about the guy in the bottom photo...He is a local "rapper" who I suspect is HFA..rather than aspie...if we are still using the differentiation...
He has a sort of Wesley Willis-style outsider novelty act that is quite genuine and sincere.
here is some old footage...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itt5MqojKgM[/youtube]
The two guys in the top photo, I am pretty sure are NT kids in a local band...but I don't know them very well and can't be 100 sure...They are a very social bunch though...
The two guys in the middle photo are my friend/bandmate who has a mixed bag of issues, some of which are spectrum-related but he would not be called an Aspie...He is on SSI for bi-polar, schizoaffective stuff...It runs hard-core in his family.
The black guy also has spectrum-related issues...He even sat in at one of the aspie meetings that took place at my place. He has above-average intelligence, narrow/intense interests and social skill problems that cause him a lot of problems.

Nae-nae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2011, 3:54 am

I have a really high forehead and wide set eyes, when I was younger I was teased about it quite a bit untill my "face filled in" more, I still have a wide big forehead though. Bigger forehead= more room for brains hahaha

DylanChan78
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2011, 6:11 am

Chalula88 wrote:
Me and my boyfriend are aspies and we are both baby faced with big round eyes and oval heads. Neither of us have deep set eyes, a pointy nose, or a nose with no brim. Our facial features and proportions are incredibly similar. We volunteer with the mentally handicapped and one of them asked if we were brother and sister.

I'm 19 and look about 11/12. My sister is 13 and looks older than me. 8O

People have also told me frequently throughout my life that I have a nymph like appearance.

A lot of people also think that I look younger than my age. I've met quite a few people at gatherings that thought I am (Minimum) 2 years or (Maximum) 6 years younger than I really am. And always I would slap my forehead and then tell them my real age. And then they will give that super shocked expression. And I will just smile :) .

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 7:50 am

As an experiment and out of curiosity...A picture of me as a little one, I am the one holding the wrapped present, Aspie or not?

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 10:08 am

One thing I've noticed in many autistics is a very crooked face, typically with the right half much smaller than the left. I am a very good example of this.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 11:07 am

Poke wrote:
One thing I've noticed in many autistics is a very crooked face, typically with the right half much smaller than the left. I am a very good example of this.

Mine is the opposite, the left side of my face is smaller than the right. My jawbone on the right side is thicker and comes down lower than the left.

But the right side of my skull seems smaller and shorter than the left.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

I call BS. This is like phrenology, trying to measure psychological features through (non-existent) physical ones. One important aspect of why aspies have social problems is that they are physically indistinguishable from "neurotypicals".

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:02 pm

There have been studies and apparently some very important people agree with you as far as the autistic facial features so go.

Gay eyes?

It does make sense that gay men might have a more feminine appearnce to the face IF they were exposed to high levels of prenatal estrogen.

I am gay (female) and have the male 2D-4D ratio so I guess I was exposed to high levls of prenatal androgens and tesosterone.

My eyes, though, I don't know. I do have have the autistic look, sort of, but my eyes are just androgynous, I SUPPOSE.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

Ohhh not this again. I don't have any of those things nobody can tell I am Autistic by looking at me, I even asked my doctor if people on the spectrum had physical facial features and he said they don't. I will believe the doctor, not something that's invented on one forum.

Autism is NOT a genetic disability like Down's Syndrome. You can not tell if somebody has Autism just by looking at them, unless they do something like stim or something else that makes Autism look obvious.

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2011, 3:01 pm

There have been studies confirming Aspies' common face characteristics... http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 105914.htm

I do have a baby face, with big eyes and a short nose... I am continuously mistaken for underaged... :roll: