Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you talk to yourself?
Yes. 72%  72%  [ 87 ]
No. 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Depends. 12%  12%  [ 14 ]
Sorry, I was far too busy conversing with myself to listen to you. 13%  13%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 121

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2009, 9:10 pm

Yes, I enjoy talking to myself. If I am alone in the car, I will often talk to myself---about my interests. When I am getting ready to go to sleep, I won't talk out loud (people are trying to sleep here), but I will think my conversations.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 1:54 am

Yes I start talking to my self when I am out walking sometime and can be quite embarrassing when you don't know you are doing it though and people start looking at me

Vladisvok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2009, 9:00 am

I've started doing this more at work recently, got some odd glances and some conversations with the other staff that go something like:

them: "what was that?"
me: "what?"
them: "you said something?"
me: "oh, talking to myself"

Think they're getting used to it now, but seems to happen more when I'm stressed out.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 9:05 am

Send to print topic

I do thisas well

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2009, 9:18 am

Voted 'depends' - because I do, but only when I'm alone. Right now mostly stuff like "did she enjoy eating that " "yes" " is it pleasant sitting here" "yes" "is she happy he did that" "yes", assembling postiive experiences throughout the day.

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2009, 9:29 am

Irisrises is in love you see.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 10:53 am

Depends.
I don't hold conversations with myself, but when I try to avoid getting too clumsy, I may say silently to myself: "and now we do this... and that... such... and such...", while focusing on the very things I handle.

Or while trying to overcome executive dysfunction (maybe I should do that even more often than I do): "Now we raise up... and go there... and do this... it's not impossible."

Also, when I'm getting confused / overloaded, I may do it in order to focus: "Now we just take a deep breath and relax... and go exactly there.. and do exactly this... and focus on that..."

I think it helps.

:)

Eto
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2009, 3:02 pm

I have a sort of imaginary friend that I talk to, but I know that he's basically just a personification of my conscience and therefore myself. :P He tends to play the devil's advocate and makes me stop to think about things differently, or he's just the general voice of reason. We used to have conversations, but now he's mostly limited to being the rational one when I panic about something or letting me know when I'm being an idiot.

So I voted 'yes'.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 3:14 pm

Thank god I'm not the only who has done this. I would talk and hum to myself a lot when I was little. I always had the urge to say to myself phrases or quotes from movies, TV shows, and cartoons that I saw and it was difficult for me to stop.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2009, 5:49 pm

Eto wrote:
I have a sort of imaginary friend that I talk to, but I know that he's basically just a personification of my conscience and therefore myself. :P He tends to play the devil's advocate and makes me stop to think about things differently, or he's just the general voice of reason. We used to have conversations, but now he's mostly limited to being the rational one when I panic about something or letting me know when I'm being an idiot.

So I voted 'yes'.

I have the same thing, as well. My imaginary friend is someone who I adored and looked up to in the past or current, if they are not physically there. Unfortunately, I even have imaginary enemies, people who have done me wrong and/or still are. They are only because I am currently angry at them or they ruined my life. This comes if I am experiencing a negative situation that they out me in, and want to express that to them, but can not do it in reality.
The imaginary friend is when I am either in my happy days or if I am down and they are cheering me up.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2009, 5:52 pm

tcorrielus wrote:
Thank god I'm not the only who has done this. I would talk and hum to myself a lot when I was little. I always had the urge to say to myself phrases or quotes from movies, TV shows, and cartoons that I saw and it was difficult for me to stop.

I also do this, as well. I make strange noises and repeat Psyduck's voice from pokemon. If I am awake, i am always talking or verbalizing something, even when I am trying to fall asleep. this is what I call "being in my own world". I can come out of it, if I am actually talking to someone, because I like being with friends, but always tend to talk about what I want. But I am lucky because I met someone like me at college, who also loves talking about her Asperger's, as well.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2009, 6:12 pm

I never talk to myself, and I try to avoid talking to other people as well. But I talk in my head, as if there's somebody in it listening. Sometimes I'll say something just to hear the sound of my voice, but never to express or convey information. I already know what I want to say anyway. And I'm nonverbal, except when I'm talking.

Acid_Dude
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2009, 6:49 pm

Well, sort of. I have imaginary conversations. Not necessarily talking to myself, but rather placing myself into some scenario in my imagination and undergoing a conversation. Makes me feel like I'm not always alone.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 8:21 pm

If you are talking to yourself, does that mean that you are hearing voices? I talk inside my head but it's just me talking. I mean, I hear other voices all the time, but doesn't everyone? :? I thought so until I was told that most people don't think like that. If I didn't hear the "devil's advocate" voice all the time, I would do much less thinking altogether. I hear memory voices all the time too. These are voices from other people and what they said or what I imagine they would say. But I don't talk aloud to them because it's just me thinking.

Schizophrenics talk to themselves very often. They seem to think that the voices are outside themselves though. On several occasions I did hear some voices that were outside myself, but what they told me turned out to give me some information that was true which I could not have gotten otherwise. Other than that, my inner dialog is pretty boisterous, but I never talk to myself. I'll argue my own thoughts though. 8O I'm concerned about this because hearing voices is a sign of schizophrenia.

So...do normal people just think about whatever they are doing or remember things occasionally. How can they not talk to themselves internally? Isn't that how we learn and theorize?

-Pythagoras

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2009, 11:45 pm

I like to think of it as "thinking out loud." I do like the "hypothetical listener" idea.

Ascagne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jan 2010, 7:09 pm

I often "talk to myself" when I'm alone in my apartment, mostly in English - even though I'm French - and mostly for my own pleasure (so it's not the exteriorisation of an "interior monologue" because I don't tend to have "interior monologues". I don't naturally talk to myself internally. But my thought processing is rather peculiar...) - for the artistic and poetic use of language. Accessorily, it helps my vocal chords not to atrophy :mrgreen: (if I didn't telephone to my relatives after my lessons at university, I would only say two to ten words a day!). And I also read aloud my writings (in French), à la Flaubert. I often did it last year, when I was an intern, and I think the neighbours (happily I didn't have a roommate) believed then I was genuinely talking to myself, but in a rather strange way (while back then I told myself out of talking alone, which was kind of frustrating).
Oh, also, when I'm at home, I tend to sing out of happiness, when I'm alone.