Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Do you talk to yourself?
Yes. 72%  72%  [ 87 ]
No. 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Depends. 12%  12%  [ 14 ]
Sorry, I was far too busy conversing with myself to listen to you. 13%  13%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 121

Ascagne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jan 2010, 7:09 pm

I often "talk to myself" when I'm alone in my apartment, mostly in English - even though I'm French - and mostly for my own pleasure (so it's not the exteriorisation of an "interior monologue" because I don't tend to have "interior monologues". I don't naturally talk to myself internally. But my thought processing is rather peculiar...) - for the artistic and poetic use of language. Accessorily, it helps my vocal chords not to atrophy :mrgreen: (if I didn't telephone to my relatives after my lessons at university, I would only say two to ten words a day!). And I also read aloud my writings (in French), à la Flaubert. I often did it last year, when I was an intern, and I think the neighbours (happily I didn't have a roommate) believed then I was genuinely talking to myself, but in a rather strange way (while back then I told myself out of talking alone, which was kind of frustrating).
Oh, also, when I'm at home, I tend to sing out of happiness, when I'm alone.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 9:52 pm

Almost constantly. Sometimes there's a hypothetical listener, sometimes not. Sometimes out loud, sometimes under my breath. I also talk to inanimate objects. It used to freak out some of the people at my old job. :D

Jak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jan 2010, 11:51 pm

Oh aye all the time. I'm the only person I can get any sense out of half the time. I find it helps to order chaotic thoughts or practise things I need to say to people and so on. I've been doing it my whole life.