Okay , if we're not supposed to say that we're...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:42 pm

..." developmentally disabled " :( or whatever , what shorthand phrases are we allowed to use , in saying what we " have " ?
This is short - My posting time is running out , rather than gve more examples/possible wrong/getting-someone-all-het-up-at-me :x phrases , I'll keep it " short & sweet "...?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 11:09 pm

why can't we say that

88BK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm

yeh why can't we say that??

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 10:15 pm

... :( ...Well , before , on this board , someone said :? that that phrase shouldn't be used as an abbreviation , that's all I'm saying , that's why I was bringing it all back up .

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 11:19 pm

Maybe because while it's a disability and the root of that disability is in a developmental problem, it's not so much a developmental disability as a developmental abnormality. I think "developmental disability" generally implies mental retardation. (And, granted, the term "developmental retardation" might actually technically be applicable because people with ASDs mature more slowly and "ret*d" means "slowed," eve that term may somewhat apply even when in someone with above average intelligence..)

Um, I'm not sure that this was making sense.. I have a thought that kinda makes sense, but I'm not sure it's coming out right. The words of term can be technically correct, but if those words are more often used to describe something different, then using them is misleading, because it implies the other issue rather than the simple denotative meaning.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2009, 1:34 am

is it a neurological communications disorder?

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 1:57 am

Obviously these terms are subjective and pretty much meaningless to everyone aside from the individual.

The way I see it...the individual ought to be afforded the dignity of self-definition. No one else should be presumptous enough to define another as disabled OR different.

In the case of us ASD folks.....it's a bit unfair for any of us to shove the "disabled" label down anyone else's throat just because we feel the condition has had a negative and limiting impact on our own life.

It is equally unfair for any of us to do the same with the "different" label simply because we feel the condition has had a positive, or at least neutral, impact on us.

We really need to stop pretending we can fully understand and thus, define, the microcosm of another.

No matter how many things we have in common with someone else....the differences we may have could render the
commonalities null and void.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2009, 9:12 am

Quote:
Obviously these terms are subjective and pretty much meaningless to everyone aside from the individual.

The way I see it...the individual ought to be afforded the dignity of self-definition. No one else should be presumptous enough to define another as disabled OR different.

In the case of us ASD folks.....it's a bit unfair for any of us to shove the "disabled" label down anyone else's throat just because we feel the condition has had a negative and limiting impact on our own life.

It is equally unfair for any of us to do the same with the "different" label simply because we feel the condition has had a positive, or at least neutral, impact on us.

We really need to stop pretending we can fully understand and thus, define, the microcosm of another.

No matter how many things we have in common with someone else....the differences we may have could render the
commonalities null and void.

QTF

Very nicely put, Horus.