Why does melted ice taste different than other water?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Page:

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:34 am

.. I looked on, like, Yahoo Answers or whateveritis, and everyone answered "because ice cubes are made from tap water!" durhurrrrr. All I drink is tap water. But tap water that used to have ice cubes in it still tastes different from tap water that had no ice. And it also tastes different from tap water that's been chilled (like in the fridge) but not frozen. AND icicles have the ice-water taste too, even though they're made from rain and not any kind of tap or processed water. So it's definitely an ice taste.
But why does the water still have the ice taste even after the ice has completely melted???

I thought you guys would be more likely to know than the general population. XD;

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:22 am

could be that your freezer has stuff in it that's causing a taste.

or maybe the freezing process kills or deactivates some chemicals like fluoride or chlorine.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:44 am

""All water has some impurities in it, even water that tastes fine when you drink it. But when you freeze this same water into ice cubes, these impurities are magnified and can become noticeable, sometimes disgustingly so. So, even if the water in your house tastes good when you drink it, this same water can make stinky ice""

That seems to be the answer that fits best, assuming that the ice isn't absorbing something from your freezer. But, since you included icicles in the question, that eliminates the freezer issue, and would likely mean that whatever the taste is that's being magnified, is present in most types of water, even rainwater.

Hmm....the world may never know. :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Yes, it's in all ice I've ever tasted.. icicles and other frozen outdoor water, ice from restaurants, movie theaters, fast-food, ice from EVERY freezer I or my friends/family I've ever had. And it's not a taste that implies impurities or stagnation or anything like that, it's a clear taste. The taste is strongest when I chew the ice, I've noticed.
...it's driving me nuts! If it was ONLY in ice it wouldn't seem so weird, but the taste lingers in the water even when it returns to room temp! So strange.

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 am

You know, when water freezes it expands, so I'm guessing that in the expansion process it's also soaking up whatever is nearby. Icicles outside taste like what dirty siding smells like, if that makes sense. So for a project, take something like lemon juice in a bowl and put a bowl of water next to the lemon juice in a freezer with just those two things in it, see if the water sucks up the fumes from the lemon.

This sounds correct in my mind, but so does alot of other things that shouldn't.

Veteran
Veteran

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 am

ice frozen in my freezer can often come out tasting like... apple juice.. o_O

i've always pondered it, though, i often have to clean the ice maker.

Mazeut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:13 am

Perhaps its not the taste of ice but the temperature. The cold numbs your taste buds preventing you from tasting anything beyond the sensation of cold and wet. Chewing would add an abrasive element to it that might further numb you.

Have you tried drinking melted ice that has been allowed to reach room temperature? If it retains the "clear" taste then my guess is completely wrong.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Page: