Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2009, 10:57 pm

it was my birthday and my mothers aniversary dinner (late celebration in her case). everything was really tense the entire time and towards the end my highly social grand parents were looking for anything to converse about. then my aunt volunteers that a co-worker at her job had recently commited suicide (and succeeded). of course me being a chemistry nerd and knowing about the embalming of the dead, i asked her how they planned to dispose of the body. then the conversation went more dead than the suicide jumper was. it took like seven minutes to figure out what i did wrong, then I apologized and talked about the weather. a while after that everyone suddenly had stuff to do and scattered like the wind. between the grocery store cake with gritty icing and my total lack of social skills, the party was a major fall out. later on I talked to my father and reconfirmed that the party sucked. last yaers birthday sucked too when the dogg got on the counter and ate everything... :x

(pardon the bad grammar. my keyboard needs to be repaired)

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 11:49 pm

I think your aunt shares some of the blame for this one for bringing up the suicide in the first place. It wasn't exactly appropriate dinner conversation for most people.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 12:31 am

I hate family dinners, they never go great with me

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 1:59 am

Oh dear ! I think it best not to discuss how the dead person will be disposed of with your relative. It might be a good idea to flag this topic in your mind as one not to discuss with family in the future.

I would suggest that when the dead person is a person known to the person you are talking to that they will not be able to discuss the remains in an abstract manner. Your relative will be likely to view the mortal remains of her coworker in an emotional way, so considering the question of which chemical would be best for keeping the body fresh will not be a good idea with her.

An undertaker or other professional whose only dealings with the person / body are totally professional will be much more likely to not feel an emotional attachment to the body. They will be more likely to think about the body in a clinical and abstract way, they will be much more likely to consider questions such as "is a fridge the best way to store the departed" or should I use a chemical fixer such as formaldehyde or glyoxyl.

As for me, I want to be placed in a 4 inch thick bronze outer coffin (with a 4 inch SS316 or Zr inner coffin, use strips of a soft metal such as copper to make a gasket to get a super good seal on the bronze coffin while the Zr one should be welded shut with TIG) and the grave to be backfilled with a mixture of stones and a good cement (portland or geopolymer would do). That way in 3000 years time if someone starts to dig up the grave yard they will think that I was something super special like a king if I was laid to rest in that way.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2009, 7:53 am

im just so happy to rant and brag on here. ive been living without internet for six months and used to be on here everyday. i miss being able to talk to other people with internet like me. I miss my internet so bad and im totally stealing my brothers latop right now to do this. it sucks living on the edge of a city less than 60,000 in population. every one here is so damn prejeduce, barely anyone has autism to the degree that i have it. i go to those autism social groups for adults and its the same 12 people every f*****g week. not a single other autistic female in my age range what so ever. its like being trapped on a lonely estrogen island surround by male hormones like a raging tide.

besides, even if i did have the guts to arange my own birthday party, i should have never talked. regardless of wheither its my birthday or not, i should have never played hostess (and bought a better tasting cake). an autistic woman with barely a shred of femininity should never be a hostess. i basically put the food on the table and initiated conversation for like two minutes. i ran out of things to say for the longest time. i never see my relatives often despite living within 20 miles of them by transit. why do i even try anymore to do social functions... :(

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 8:28 am

pschristmas wrote:
I think your aunt shares some of the blame for this one for bringing up the suicide in the first place. It wasn't exactly appropriate dinner conversation for most people.

This.
...I would have been curious to know about the disposal/embalming too though, if I'd been there. XD I would have talked to yooouuu, we could have been unawkward in the sea of awkwardness. D:
Hmmm..
Maybe next year invite a friend or two.. the kind you feel really comfortable around. Or ask to go to the movies or something instead of the main event being a dinner, so you won't have to have a long awkward talk.