Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2009, 7:53 am

I went to my boyfriend's friend's music recital. When I got there, I was excited to see a professor that I haven't seen in a very long time. I talked to her at length....I guess I must have exceeded my welcome because then she suddenly says, "I need to see to a friend."

I was a embarrassed because, in hindsight, I realized that I completely missed some of the cues that told me I was talking too long....she was looking over my shoulder and shifting from leg to leg.

It's frustrating because I know the cues, but many times I don't see them in time. It's like I get so engrossed in the conversation, everything else fades into the background.

I just wondered if anyone else experiences or struggles with this?

Thanks for reading :)

07 Dec 2009, 7:57 am

I start talking and I don't even realize I am talking on and on about something or repeating myself or someone couldn't get a word in edgewise and my voice is loud. This usually happens when I get into something and I get excited about it.

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2009, 8:08 am

I do, but I have relatives who monopolise conversations more than what I do.

At least you heard her verbal cue and understood it. And even ordinary people monopolise conversations sometimes.

Oh I just realised you said talking about your interest...it can be the same as doing all the talking or maybe it wasn't...

But anyway you understood what happened which is good.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2009, 8:10 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I start talking and I don't even realize I am talking on and on about something or repeating myself or someone couldn't get a word in edgewise and my voice is loud. This usually happens when I get into something and I get excited about it.

That sounds a lot like me....as well as having a loud voice (I forgot about that one). Sometimes when I get especially excited, I get really animated. I always worry if people think I'm a spaz. I try to think positive and hope they think I'm entertaining. Hehe.

Thanks again for responding. It's good to know that I'm not alone.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2009, 8:20 am

emc2 wrote:
I do, but I have relatives who monopolise conversations more than what I do.

At least you heard her verbal cue and understood it. And even ordinary people monopolise conversations sometimes.

Oh I just realised you said talking about your interest...it can be the same as doing all the talking or maybe it wasn't...

But anyway you understood what happened which is good.

Hehe! I have those relatives as well. :P

This was one of my interests, but it was her expertise. My problem, or at least what I've been told is my problem, is that I socialize about topics too intensely in situations where people would rather small talk. I guess I should have casually asked her about her research rather than asking all the specifics.

There are too many rules to think about lol. It's strange to think that I have to actually think about them whereas there are people out there where this stuff is intuitive.

Thank you :)

Pernicious-Knid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2009, 4:58 pm

Same here. Maybe all our relatives can get together and drown each other out? :roll:

I can be like this as well, but am starting to get better with the cues. Some people amaze me though and can go on and on as though they don't need to breathe!

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2009, 1:03 pm

I'm not overly talkative....I'm 'Jeff Goldblum-esque' :D