Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:26 am

Scientist wrote:
BTW, you actually should delete quote"Wombat" in the beginning of your post, because you quoted me. And if you would do so, you would get rid of your quotations mismatch ;)

LOL thanks I did not even notice that. I've been quite stressed lately and it is effecting my thinking.
thanks for the heads up. :wink:

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:32 am

ilivinamushroom wrote:
It is a fact that our planets climate is ever changing and that human activity clearly has an influence. Other posters have presented scenarios where the earth is scoured clean ect the problem is if the oceans rise or glaciers scour there will still be man made chemicals that will never go away (ie: teflon) . I also believe in another scenario that others haven't addressed the magnetic poles of our earth has shifted in the past and will do it again when it does climate change will be a moot point.

Yes there is still a debate on whether that is gradual or sudden occurrence. In the documentary i watched they said in the past the poles had shifted in a weird way. there were spots on the earth where the poles were switched (but only in that spot). and others areas were normal. over time these spots became more frequent until a complete pole shift had occurred.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 9:55 pm

From today's news, the magnetic pole has been moving, forty miles a year, heading toward Russia.

It has been happy in Canada for a while, but is leaving. Not much detail on how long this has been going on.

At over three miles a month, no one said if it was picking up speed.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 5:13 am

You heard it here first, folks.

The "warming alarmists" are finding it hard to convince people when they are up to their butts in snow and suffering record low temperatures.

Time for "Plan B".

"Man made CO2 is making the oceans acidic. If we don't impose carbon taxes immediately then all the coral reefs and all the poor fish are going to die!! !! ! Probably by next week."

"One way or another you people WILL give up control of your own economies and pay taxes directly to the privately owned World Bank"

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 10:06 am

Inventor wrote:
From today's news, the magnetic pole has been moving, forty miles a year, heading toward Russia.

It has been happy in Canada for a while, but is leaving. Not much detail on how long this has been going on.

If the North magnetic pole's moving, is the South magnetic pole moving with it?

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 10:30 am

Scientist wrote:
Inventor wrote:

From what I've read, it's been drifting ever since accurate compass readings have been taken. I think what people are concerned about is that if the poles did switch - and they will as they have multiple times in the past - the Van Allen Belt will be affected and we will be bombarded with high levels of radiation.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 11:13 am

Scientist wrote:

Probably, but not necessarily in antipodal positions.

ruveyn

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2010, 2:46 pm

I have been interested in pole shifts for awhile now ,from what I can gather there is evidence (that is being suppressed) that in the geologic record the poles have done a series of minor shifts followed by one major flip . Evidence found has been flash frozen mammoths with fresh buttercups between their teeth these plants only bloom at above 60 degrees F so it was early summer when these animals were frozen, consider that you can actually get an edible steak off some mammoths.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 6:09 pm

Here's the news about the moving North Magnetic Pole:
National Geographic - North Magnetic Pole moving due to core flux
And I found some more information about the moving North and South Poles.
Apparently both Poles are moving, but not together.

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 8:10 pm

Thank you Scientist. That was a better article than the AOL view I caught. It is speeding up, 400+% since the last twenty year mark.

The magnetic field is connected to the solid core, which floats in liquid metal? Whatever it is, even if the core was a perfect sphere, there is a lot of edge movement, Solid core, liquid middle, and solid crust, no longer moving as one. As motion under that much pressure will produce heat through friction, I think we have another Global Warming problem.

I have always heard it was fairly static, little magnetic drift over time. Heat came as plumes, melted some crust from the bottom, and produced volcanos.

If it is moving, the axis of spin is going to be a ring hot spot, for if the pole is moving, so is the core beneath me, I live on the axis. Since 1989, taking 32 kilometers a year as mid range, it has moved 640 Km. This is like a broad river flowing north, of liquid metals, just beneath my feet, and speeding up.

Over the next twenty years, about twice that, if the rate does not increase, and eight times that if it continues gaining speed. Now we are up to 5,000 Km.and 20,000 in the next twenty.

One of the unexplained problems of global warming, most is happening in the Arctic region. This ring of a heat plume from the core moving would be crossing the Arctic. I have heard 8 degrees of warming, the highest on the planet, and no connection with CO2.

Another minor problem, it is passing beheath the New Madrid Quake Zone, which is the largest in America, with a 200 year cycle, that is the reason there are eights and nines on the quake scale. About 1812, from a center on the Mississippi river, it rang church bells in Washington and Boston.

It is a deep mid craton quake, not like those shallow California quakes, San Andres is a whimpy slip sliding fault. The Mississippi River follows this fault, and it is thought it is a spreading center.

The last time few lived in the area, it toppled forests, the Mississippi ran backward, with waterfalls, it lasted for months, serious after shocks.

Study has shown it is a dependable quake, coming every 200 years for the last few thousand.

Now it is the center of our grain lands, power transmission lines, major east-west and north-south highways, railroads, and oil and natural gas pipelines. The river is the main way of shipping grain.

There is no way to measure magnitude over 200 years, but it will be top of the scale, somewhere beyond total distruction, forests toppled, then kicked around. Faults opened and swallowed land, trees, people, animals, and water, then closed as others opened. The descriptions were from tramatised people. The month of aftershocks were beyond Major Quake.

I do have a personal interest, I live a few miles from the river. Sometimes it is almost a hundred foot higher than the city, held back by levees, that would crumble in a quake, just as they did in the minor Katrina three meter storm surge.

This years snows are going to be the spring thaw and flood, the largest in years, when we have had 100 year floods about every five years. A river of molten metal below flowing north, a major Mississippi flood flowing south, lots of natural processes going on.

I feel small.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 7:54 am

Joke :

-What did Hitler want for x-mas ?

-A "white" x-mas :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:13 am

Inventor wrote:
The world belongs to the future, and we can leave it a better place.

Possession is the main claim to property. The world belongs to those who live in it. However, we don't have to ruin it for our great grandchildren.

ruveyn

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 8:03 pm

WOW you guys are posing some great stuff! It is so interesting to hear all the different sides to the climate change subject.