Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

autisticstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2009, 9:12 am

Hi,

I will be getting married in a little less than a year and am considering which method of birth control I will use since my fiance and I have decided not to have children due to being at an older age and fianancial and disability reasons. I am considering the IUD as a method since it is highly effective and yet reversible if any complications should arise. Has anyone used the IUD and found it to be a good method of birth control? What was your experience using the IUD like?

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 9:35 am

I have a really good IUD which doesnt have to be changed for 10 years!! Which means it might even see me up till the monopause if Im ultra lucky (lol Im 31 so would be very lucky).

I found I was achy for a few days after having it put in and my periods are heavier and longer apart from that its great. I found the pill made me poorly and tried lots of different ones and they made me fat and headachey.

I found the IUD to be the most reliable and is very good if you suffer from pangs of broodiness as it takes time between feeling broody to get a doctors appointment to remove it, in which time I can come to my sences, where as with the pill or condoms, broodiness can be a devistateing moment of madness.

I also had IUDs when I was younger and found them fine, reliable and comfortable each time.

Ive heard of a couple of people whose IUD fell out as they had it put in very shortly after giving birth but Ive not met anyone who got pregnant with an IUD so I think its quite a good method.

Mine is just a copper IUD but there is one called Marina which releases localised hormones which is said to be more effective than steralisation (tho completely reversable).

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 11:03 am

I have successfully used an IUD for 7 years and then had another one put in and that was good for another 10 years. I never had a moments problem with either one, and sometimes was "surprised" because it was there and I had momentarly 'forgot' about it.

I call it successful because I have no children during the time I used them.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 11:10 am

Oh I love my IUD. I have one of the ten year, copper ones as well and I swear by them. I will never use anything else. I had no long term side effects... my back did hurt for a few days after getting my first one, but not bad enough to be problematic for me. I got my first one when I was 19 and it was the only thing I have ever used that I have not gotten pregnant on or had horrible reactions to. IUD=best invention ever.

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2009, 11:56 am

I tried many different birth control, the pill, the shot, condoms, I hated them all. Actually the shot made me crazy, seriously crazy, and it messed up my body so bad it took over a year after stopping the shots to get back to normal.

After my second kid the Dr asked me if I wanted to have my tubes tied, no thanks, I've heard horror stories about that procedure too. I decided to give Mirena a try, it's for 5 yrs and as I'm 40, I figured what 2 times and I'm done, maybe 3, but I doubt it. So far, it's been in 2 1/2 years and I've had no side effects that I've noticed, and I'm pretty in tune with my body, in all honesty I forget it's there, and the happy plus side, no periods, once in awhile I spot but that's it.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 4:42 pm

dossa wrote:
IUD=best invention ever.

indeed. I don't get the popularity of hormones, they're really invasive.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 10:32 pm

anna-banana wrote:
dossa wrote:
IUD=best invention ever.

indeed. I don't get the popularity of hormones, they're really invasive.

and I just read this the other day, and now you mention it. . .

http://www.youthradio.org/news/is-the-p ... attraction

I am glad I went 'au naturel' with an IUD.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2009, 6:53 pm

I used Implanon (The implant in your arm) since I would forget tablets. It was fine. Even a bit funny to be able to feel something under your skin if you touched it.
It did take ages to wear off after I took it out, I thought I was infertile. But in your case that doesn't sound like it would be an issue. :)

Boudicca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2009, 10:03 pm

I'm on my third. My first was implanted shortly after my 20 year-old son was born. It is the best thing ever. I hate getting them implanted or removed, but the slight discomfort is well worth up to 10 years of protection. My second one was not successful - I became pregnant with my youngest son shortly after getting re-married, but I believe it wasn't implanted quite right. In fact, the doctor who implanted it was a resident, and it was her first one! I've had this one for almost 8 years now, and although my husband has a vasectomy, I haven't had it removed, because, no reason to. Good luck to you!

Shastania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2009, 10:20 pm

I got a Mirena coil fitted back in October.
The only gripe I really have with it is that although my periods are vertually non existent, OMIGAWD THE CRAMPS!!
Yesterday, I was getting up from my chair when a cramp hit me so strongly I nearly screamed.
It felt like i was being 'penetrated' with a knife that would twist with every move I made. They died down eventually but goodness- prepare yourself for unholy uterine fury if you decide to get one.

Granted, I've always had severe cramping so I'd say your own personal make-up has a lot to do with how your body reacts.
Thankfully, the cramps stop after a day or two. After that, it's mostly peachy (with the odd mood swing) from there. :)

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:40 am

Thanks for this thread. I don't have an IUD but I am considering one. My SO is considering a vasectomy, as well.

As neither of these are a hundred percent, I don't see this as redundancy; I just saw a Maury show (shut up, it's a guilty pleasure for a number of reasons) where paternity was in question due to the husband's 8-year-old vasectomy. In fact, the doc who did it said, "If anyone claims you're the father, you should go on Maury."

Sure enough. Was his kid. Too bad they didn't mention the doc's name so my SO can be 100% sure to avoid him...

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 6:20 pm

RampionRampage wrote:
Thanks for this thread. I don't have an IUD but I am considering one. My SO is considering a vasectomy, as well.

As neither of these are a hundred percent, I don't see this as redundancy; I just saw a Maury show (shut up, it's a guilty pleasure for a number of reasons) where paternity was in question due to the husband's 8-year-old vasectomy. In fact, the doc who did it said, "If anyone claims you're the father, you should go on Maury."

Sure enough. Was his kid. Too bad they didn't mention the doc's name so my SO can be 100% sure to avoid him...

how could that happen??!

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 4:35 pm

I've had an IUD in since 2007 (one of the 10-year ones to be removed in 2017) and I've had no problems with it so far! I did get worse cramps at first like they warned would happen, but it began getting better after the first few months. There have been no other side-effects. And definitely no pregnancy.

glamourdollxoxo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2009, 8:05 pm

I just got the mirena IUD put in a few days ago. So far so good but the first day that I had it in my mood was a bit more up and down then usual. Overall though I can't complain and since I have PMDD the benefit of having mirena is that after so long your period stops. I was originally taking seasonique birth control pills, but after one too many worries me and my boyfriend sat down and discussed it and decided that mirena was the best form of birth control to benefit both of us at this time. By the time I get mirena removed I will be 26 and that's a perfect time because I will have been stable in my career for awhile and by then I can really think about having kids. I wish they would advertise Mirena more and move away from the you must have kids to have mirena put in rule that many doctors seem to follow and for those who have doctors who won't do mirena go to planned parenthood because they will do it there.