Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

righton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2009, 4:36 pm

Do aspies tend to do better on math than verbal? Or do well on both?

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2009, 5:59 pm

I actually did far better on the verbal section. However, I ended up falling asleep during the math section. I only had about an hour of sleep the night before.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 6:15 pm

I did a bit better on verbal, too. Kinda odd, 'cause I was generally better at math than English-y stuff. But I'm just good at multiple choice.. Even in a fairly subjective subject, multiple choice is about logic.
For me there wasn't really much pressure on the SAT, though, because I took it in 10th grade, and scored high enough that there was no point in taking it again.. tests are much easier when there's not pressure.

righton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2009, 11:20 pm

I also did a little better on verbal. :shrug:

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 2:56 am

I did better on verbal (790) than I did on math (710). However, I can do calculus in my head, and all of the ones I missed were labeled "easy" or "medium", so it probably has to do with the amount of attention the different subects require.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 3:59 am

I scored in the 95%tile on the verbal section, and I think 75%tile on the math.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 4:02 am

I left school before then.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2009, 9:55 am

I did MUCH better on verbal than on math. My score on the verbal part was 700, and my score on the math part was 490. That's not surprising, as I really struggled with Math from 7th grade on, but I always did well in English. I've always been much stronger verbally than mathematically.
Edited because I made my verbal score out to be higher than it really was. No wonder I struggled in math: I can't count!

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 1:10 pm

I took it twice and did much better on the math both times. I also took the GRE (graduate school equivalent) and did much better on the math on that one as well, although on the GRE it was blind luck, I really shouldn't have done well on either section.

righton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2009, 11:07 am

pat2rome wrote:
I did better on verbal (790) than I did on math (710). However, I can do calculus in my head, and all of the ones I missed were labeled "easy" or "medium", so it probably has to do with the amount of attention the different subects require.

That's interesting, I had a similar score (800 V, 760 M) and the ones I got wrong on math were all "careless" mistakes, not because the problems were too difficult.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 11:22 am

Mmmm, I was slightly better on verbal than on math. 97th and 93rd percentiles if I recall correctly. But verbal SAT testing isn't about actually communication, it's merely about how well you understand english, and how much you can infer from a written story. Basically if you read alot, you should score high on it. Considering how much I read during school, I was hardly surprised at my score. Math was just as easy, mostly pure logic. Only a bit of it had actual work to do, and that was just irritating.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 11:59 pm

I scored 740 in verbal and 700 in math.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2009, 12:32 am

I did much better on the math section than the critical reading. I think I was in the 96th percentile of the math, and the 91st percentile of the critical reading, though it's been long enough that I could be making these figures up.

When I was doing the study regimen for the SAT, I found the critical reading part to be the most difficult to learn, as the questions were more subjective. To prepare, I would find textual support to back up all of the answers (as if I were going to write an essay on the question instead of fill in a bubble). I often would find stronger textual support for a "wrong" answer than the "correct" answer, and was baffled to learn that the test writers considered another answer "correct".

I am not a fan of the SAT, though. It is more of a test of test-taking than of content mastery. If we really needed a test of test-taking, the College Board should go all out and make the SAT merely a test of logic that had no "content" in it - just puzzles, trick questions, logical fallacies, etc...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 12:48 am

righton wrote:
Do aspies tend to do better on math than verbal? Or do well on both?

I assume it depends on what you are good at.

I never took SATs, but I assume I would have done better on verbal.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 9:48 pm

800 verbal, 710 math, and similarly on the GRE (800 verbal, 740 math). I *always* do better on the verbal section of any test.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 9:53 pm

Anybody else find it ironic that the section is called "verbal" but, um, IT'S NOT!
:? I think of "verbal" as being a lot different than "multiple-choice language-based questions on a standardized test." I have very little actual verbal ability.. but the "verbal" section isn't actually testing verbal ability..