Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 4:15 am

Yes, I flapped as a child and no, I haven't outgrown it.

Aspie-B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2009, 12:53 am

Honestly, I don't have any memories of doing that until after I started to research about Aspergers Syndrome. I think I did it as a joke at first "imitating" what I was seeing others do on the videos I watched. However, now when I get a kind of panic attack, I started to do that.

The one thing I can say for sure I did, was rocking. When I got a breakdown, I started rocking back and forth while sitting on the ground. And when I get nervous, I would rub my inner thigh in a circle pattern.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 11:00 am

I always have, and still do hand flapping a lot. It feels so good.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 12:12 pm

I do it when I'm excited ;)

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 1:51 pm

I do it all the time! It relaxes me (except for my hands!) and gives me sensory stimulation. Sometimes though my Tourettes takes over and does it for me... that's a bit irritating!

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2009, 5:26 pm

I'm a finger flicker, and I do this thing with my hands like flapping only its not my arms too.. only my hands. I also twist them sometimes instead of flapping. Its usually involuntary, as in I don't realize I'm doing it when I do it. However I suppose I could stop if I wanted to. Though it would be difficult as thats my "thing" right now. When I'm super super overwhelmed I do slap myself or take my knuckles and push really hard on my forehead. When I'm getting towards being too overwhelmed, I rub my forehead with my knuckles back and forth.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 5:49 pm

I flap my toes to the beat of the music, instead.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 8:34 pm

I've always hand-flapped when I'm distressed by an emotion or sensory experience or when I am experiencing sensory overload. I never really thought of it as "autistic hand-flapping" until recently, I've always thought of it as my "heeby-jeebies" or "That just BUGS me!" reaction, I'm bring my hands up to my chest and shake my hands and lower arms from side to side.