Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:17 pm

I was just curious about if anyone did hand flapping as a child, and if so, did you outgrow it?

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:19 pm

Yes. I still do it.

15 Dec 2009, 6:44 pm

I have no idea if I did this as a child. It got pointed out to me in my adult hood. My mom pointed it out once and my husband says I do it all the time. He calls it hand shaking. He even told me I wring my hands and I didn't even know I still did it. I know I did in my childhood and I thought I outgrew it. My mom only told me it was something I did when I was little and it helped keep me calm but she didn't say it was something I still did. Or maybe I started up again? :?

I seem to outgrow stims growing up and then getting new ones.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:48 pm

Yes, did it. Outgrew it in the sense I started to clue in that it ought not to be done in front of people. Much less internal less 'impetus' these days, though. It still happens, rarely, if I'm extremely upset or stressed, and alone. I try not to because my wrists are a little repetitively-stressed (from computer/mouse) and I don't want to injure them more.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:51 pm

I did it from before I was 2 and I still do it now. Great fun :)

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 7:50 pm

I'm not sure what hand-flapping is. I shake my arms when I feel weird, like sensory overload weird, but not sure if I do anything when I'm excited... well, if I'm really excited, I guess I hug myself and give a little hop.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 7:52 pm

Yes I do when excited. Yeah, my docs know about stereotype movements and stuff, I don't know if they are just ignoring them, or if they think they are being caused by my diagnosed mental disorders.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2009, 8:42 pm

I hardly ever hand flap unless really over loaded, sensory wise. I actually do something else, a sort of finger flicking, as if I were trying to shake water off my fingers. This usually signals the beginning of sensory overload,or just being overwhelmed in general.

DarkAngel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2009, 8:55 pm

I Did It. I Still Do It Sometimes.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 8:58 pm

I used to do it alot when I was younger :lol: when I'm so excited :D I still kinda do and it gets rid of my stress apparently :P but I never really do it in public... :oops:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 9:05 pm

I flap my whole arms when I am feeling edgy or impatient...there is something about standing in lines that makes me want to flap so much..I just have to sit down....if I am in line with someone else who can hold the space....I shake my clenched fists in a way that akin to hand-flapping...I hand flap....but in sort of a stiff way...more side to side than up and down..

I remember doing it when I was young...but it was nothing that was ever pointed out as unusual.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2009, 9:55 pm

I flapped in a very conspicuous classic autistic manner, holding my hands fairly high and agitating them so that it was a visual stim as well. During my first years at school, this attracted great attention and intrigue, including from adults and high school students, and was deemed unacceptable by teachers. My unpleasant third grade teacher was particularly intent on stopping this, but she didn't succeed. My fourth and fifth grade teachers only gently reminded me that I was flapping. I'm quite sure that I was no longer flapping in seventh grade, and am not sure about sixth grade.

Considering the sometimes humiliating efforts undertaken to get me stop, I wouldn't say that I outgrew the flapping, as much as I was forced to give it up. In a way, teachers were right in getting me to stop because the type of flapping I did would have been a major embarrassment in later years. I can still flap exactly like I used to, but I haven't done it involuntarily since those early days.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 11:04 pm

Sometimes.

I'm more of a finger flapper and hand curler though.

yeniquencos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2009, 11:10 pm

I've been doing it forever, however, I was only diagnosed with asperger's at age 20. My mom used to yell at me for my hand wringing when I was younger. I would get very stressed out and wring my hands. She yelled so much that i have out grown that, but the hand flapping is actually a fun thing. I imagine all my excess sensory info and excitement coming out my finger tips. My friends actually make fun of me for it, in a loving way. I went up to my best friend one day and jumped up and down and flapped my hands, and he did the same thing and said, "so what are we excited about?" He's the first person I can read everything and predict future actions and reactions with 95% accuracy....i finally know what it's like to see facial expressions and hear tones. But I don't want my hand flapping to go away, it might make me eccentric but it makes me, me.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 11:32 pm

i handflap as an adult more so then i did as a child, i didnt think i flapped as a child at all, until i saw pix of me doing so, idk if i outgrew it out my parents did anything to get me to stop it, i lost a lot of my memory, but still do it as an adult wherever i am or whoever im around

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 1:49 am

I wouldn't call it hand flapping but I did other movements with my hands. It started as making my hands into fists and gently hitting them on my cheek bones very fast. My mom said sometimes I would gently hit myself up and down my entire body starting at my face and moving down to my feet. After I was made fun of for that enough at school I tried to stop. All I ended up succeeding in doing was changing it to something else. I changed it to intertwining my fingers together and then shaking them very fast. Got made fun of for that too. Eventually changed it to clapping, then just to rubbing my hands together really fast, which is socially acceptable. Sometimes, when I'm not paying attention I'll catch myself hitting myself on the legs really fast. Everything I did was very fast, like quick bursts of movement. As a result, I'm very good at tapping a button faster than anyone else when playing video games.