Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lygophile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2006, 7:13 pm

Bland wrote:
I think that alot of therapists would be quick to examine your mind when alot of it could be the different way in which your body reacts to stimuli or the lack of it.

Interestingly I told my therapist about this a while ago, but he was pretty dismissive of it all. He said it sounded like my brain trying to integrate or somehow come to terms with some experiences of childhood abuse. And he may have had a point, but I always felt like there was more to it than that.

Bland wrote:
You should keep a journal of your experiences with the date, times, and a run-down of what you've done that day, what you've eaten or drank (including meds), and any stresses. You could probably anylize alot that way.

That would be interesting, but I actually haven't experienced that particular hallucination in a while (over a year now). I still get flashes from time to time when my sense of proportion goes a little bit "wonky" but I haven't gone through the whole process that I described for a while now. If it starts happening again I'll definitely have to try to keep a journal though. When I was younger I found it both scary and fascinating, I felt like there was some kind of large overriding truth that was waiting to be revealed to me through those experiences, but I never figured out what it was.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 11:02 pm

redvelvet wrote:
My husband with AS wakes up every morning at 4am, he talks in bed about his worries and things that have happened to him. If I leave him to talk he will continue till it's time to get up around 7:30.
This has happened for nearly 25years. The other morning I let him talk for about 15 minutes then told him to go back to sleep,he did. But he doesn't hear voices. :wink:

I do the same thing, every Morning. I even ask myself "What if?" questions. I talk about my Past and my worries. I talk to myself about my Obsessions in Bed. I talk about if I won the Lottery and the No Junkfood policy that I would have in my own House. I convince myself that it's better to be obsessed with Routemasters and Hackney Carriages, than it is to light up a Joint, even though I've never smoked Pot more than once.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 9:33 am

RedVelvet wrote: My husband with AS wakes up every morning at 4am, he talks in bed about his worries and things that have happened to him. If I leave him to talk he will continue till it's time to get up around 7:30.
This has happened for nearly 25years. The other morning I let him talk for about 15 minutes then told him to go back to sleep,he did. But he doesn't hear voices.

Does your husband have ADHD because mine does and he used to do this to me all of the time when he was younger and more hyper! Drove me nuts!! Thank God he's getting older and slowing down! (mine would never shut up, no matter what I said and if I moved to the couch, he'd follow me! That was my night-time psychosis!!)
(what a nightmare!)

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 9:38 am

For We need to learn from each-other do We not together.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 10:16 am

Yes, Kevv, I did learn many things from our nighttime tirades but unfortunately, I forgot them all because I WAS TOO TIRED TO REMEMBER!! ! (how dare you side with my husband)(of course, you are a man and you guys have to stick together due to the 'Nazi-feminists' and all of their male-bashing)

Jekyll
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2006, 2:04 pm

I hear like...voices in my head when I'm trying to sleep. And other stuff, I don't remember what. Is that night-time psychosis, or am I schizophrenic? It's just at night, not during the day, and it doesn't happen all the time.

joon
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Feb 2006, 2:59 am

Jekyll wrote:
I hear like...voices in my head when I'm trying to sleep. And other stuff, I don't remember what. Is that night-time psychosis, or am I schizophrenic? It's just at night, not during the day, and it doesn't happen all the time.

Considering it happens after sleep, it is most likely Hypnagogia. Hypnagogia (or hypnogogia) are auditory, visual, or tactile hallucinations in the process of falling sleep (or severe fatigue). The same thing can also happen when you just wake up, but is called hypnopompia. As well, sleep disturbamce or insomnia can cause those same reactions.

Most likely, it is not Schizophrenia. And you're talking to a Schizophrenic Autistic here with much experience on both sides of the Pyschiatrist chair :D .

joon

Lygophile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2006, 6:39 pm

joon wrote:
Jekyll wrote:

Considering it happens after sleep, it is most likely Hypnagogia. Hypnagogia (or hypnogogia) are auditory, visual, or tactile hallucinations in the process of falling sleep (or severe fatigue). The same thing can also happen when you just wake up, but is called hypnopompia. As well, sleep disturbamce or insomnia can cause those same reactions.

Most likely, it is not Schizophrenia. And you're talking to a Schizophrenic Autistic here with much experience on both sides of the Pyschiatrist chair :D .

joon

I agree, sounds like hypnagogia to me. I've experienced the same thing. For me, the first time it happened, the way I knew it wasn't schizophenia (and believe me, the thought did cross my mind) or anything like that was that the voices I heard were just spouting nonsense, complete gibberish. I don't know if it's the same for you Jekyll, but if I understand schizophrenia correctly, the auditory hallucinations experienced by a schizophrenic tend to be much more concrete and make more sense.

joon
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2006, 12:57 am

Lygophile wrote:
...but if I understand schizophrenia correctly, the auditory hallucinations experienced by a schizophrenic tend to be much more concrete and make more sense.

Actually, that's not always true. A lot of Schizophrenic Hallucinations can be vague and hard to understand (mumbled in a way). A big way to know the difference is that, if the hallucinations concur with sleep disturbance and you have no other symptoms during full awakening.

joon

Jekyll
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2006, 5:04 pm

Lygophile wrote:

I agree, sounds like hypnagogia to me. I've experienced the same thing. For me, the first time it happened, the way I knew it wasn't schizophenia (and believe me, the thought did cross my mind) or anything like that was that the voices I heard were just spouting nonsense, complete gibberish. I don't know if it's the same for you Jekyll, but if I understand schizophrenia correctly, the auditory hallucinations experienced by a schizophrenic tend to be much more concrete and make more sense.

That's exactly what it is. Yay!! ! I'm not schizophrenic!! ! *is extremely happy* Eh, but I've had a visual hallucination as well. :( That might make me...something, if not schizophrenic, then something else.

Lygophile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2006, 5:23 pm

joon wrote:

Actually, that's not always true. A lot of Schizophrenic Hallucinations can be vague and hard to understand (mumbled in a way). A big way to know the difference is that, if the hallucinations concur with sleep disturbance and you have no other symptoms during full awakening.

Thank you for setting me straight on that.

Jekyll wrote:
That's exactly what it is. Yay!! ! I'm not schizophrenic!! ! *is extremely happy* Eh, but I've had a visual hallucination as well. That might make me...something, if not schizophrenic, then something else.

Hypnagogic hallucinations can be visual as well, mine are, much more often than they are auditory.

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2006, 8:28 pm

Jetson wrote:
I don't have 'night psychosis' or anything like that, but sometimes I'm strangely reluctant to go to sleep and will sit up until the wee hours watching very bad TV or reading books or surfing the web even though I'm tired and have things to do the next day and *know* I should be sleeping. When I'm on vacation or off work for a few days I often end up on a nocturnal schedule, going to sleep at 7AM or later and then waking up at 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

The worst times are when I get hooked on pattern games like Tetris. I'll try to go to sleep but I keep seeing vague puzzle pieces in my head and simply can't "let it go" enough to fall asleep.

Have you tried the game "Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"---it became such an obsession that even my 54 year old mother in law knows the different gender and race bonuses.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 8:54 pm

simon2wright wrote:
or just by your brain keeping you awake when you feel tired and want to sleep?

Yeah, that about describes it. 8O
I wish it (my brain) had a dimmer switch.

SkyBar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2006, 7:45 pm

I hear voices before sleep--random, ordinary conversations that sound exactly like I'm listening in to some stranger's phone call. They are very specific and filled with details--the people who are talking seem to know each other. I never recognize the voices or the situations--it seems to have nothing to do with me, like I'm just an eavesdropper--except, of course, it's all in my head.

I find it hard to fall asleep most of the time and at night my problem with being too sensitive to sound seems to get worse. Normal house noises, my husband or dog snoring, traffic noises--all drive me nuts.

I also see something like an endless slideshow of images--they appear to be random and not related to anything I've seen during the day.

Sometimes when I'm on the edge of sleep I'll hear a loud crash, but I can tell it came from my head and not from the outside world.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 11:54 pm

There are times when I hear a harsh voice saying something threatening, and than I'll hide under my covers.

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2010, 6:36 pm

Definitely hypnagogia.

They say that people affected by AS have sleep difficulties, which is definitely true for me.

As a child I had night terrors that horrified my poor parents. I would seem to wake up but saw things that weren't there and cried from the sight of them, although I would not or could not disclose what I saw.

There were also similar incidents that remind me somewhat of lygophile's description, in which something was smooth and rough simultaneously. I felt like something was sliding from me and I lost touch with time. These incidents were accompanied with more lucidity in which I could describe to my parents what I was experiencing, and which they dubbed, "marshmallow dreams" because of something that I said comparing them to marshmallows crushing me.

Insomnia is also a problem, as is somnambulism and talking in my sleep.

Sleep paralysis and hallucinations are the worst, though. Hypnagogic hallucinations generally involve feeling and seeing things, such as someone standing over my bed, and voices.

A difficulty is that even though I am able to recognize that these are hypnagogic hallucinations, the knowledge doesn't exactly help in the midst of the experience. I generally have to engage in another activity to sidetrack my brain before attempting to sleep again. And while I rationally know that what I am seeing is not there, the terror of seeing is very real.

Other sensations are a deafeningly loud rushing noise that pulses, whirs and vibrating sounds, and a feeling of moving my limbs while actually holding them still. I'll think my arm is raised to the ceiling, snap out of it, and realize my arm is actually under the covers.

Last edited by Cate on 11 Aug 2010, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.