Undoing the curse upon my head:not all negative

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

bi0drain
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2006, 6:54 pm

There is an oft topic here regarding aspergers as a gift or curse, I think it's an endowment with a large list of caveats, that if I could have I would not have signed up for,

The shyness, lack of being able read faces, my school incident (5 weeks in fullsail), the lack of focus now on finishing project I am more than capable of I would have said take this gift and shove it.

There are times where it makes money tho I have 2 say(firewall work, etc).

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 10:52 pm

Yes, that's the way it is for many. The things that make us unique, can also be so troublesome. Yet, to think of not having the qualities, is a little disturbing; like a piece of you would be missing. It's like that line from John Reuben's, "Nuisance":
My Greatest Strength is still my Strongest Weakness.

bi0drain
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2006, 11:14 pm

And unfortunately the math side of things has me F*ucked for going to private colleges(Special ed diploma)
I am working on suing the state govt and county in which I was put thru a mis-diaged educational mess

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 11:23 pm

Good luck! I was told that an official diagnosis of AS for my son would actually help him get help in college! That better be true. His IQ is actually a bit lower than average and he does not enjoy reading, studying or anything academic so I doubt he will want to attend college. But if he does, I hope that being in special ed. doesn't hinder him. He's in there for math and language arts; not so much because he's slow, but because he can't concentrate in the larger classroom. (too much distraction)
What college do you want to attend and what for?

bi0drain
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2006, 3:35 am

Network and IT Security from the unix perspective, focusing on data center type operations.
I was too smart for full-sail, and it was a mess.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 11:02 am

biOdrain wrote: And unfortunately the math side of things has me F*ucked for going to private colleges(Special ed diploma)

Are you positive that the Special ed. diploma will eliminate you from private colleges? Might there not be some who would make an exception or accept something other than the standard entrance qualifications? I think it's worth a shot. I know you have to get a little pushy and ask key questions in these situations. Would your parents be willing to investigat a liitle? It may not be possible, but seems worth a try.

bi0drain
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2006, 2:40 pm

Tried...DENIED
TRIED...DISENROLLED AFTER 5 weeks
TRIED AGAIN ......DENIED
I have an advocacy group helping me sue the whackos who put me in special ed

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2006, 12:54 am

I'm sure you will find a place. I hope you do get somewhere with changing your diploma status. I am starting to feel bad about placing my son in special ed., now. He may not have to stay there indefinately. Honestly, his real talents lie in assimilating info. and comparing data. He knows exactly what's on sale at every grocery store and how much saving per ounce on which brands and when the sale expires, etc. etc. He sometimes drives me nuts with this info. He's also into cars. He tells me what make, model, year, what size engine and how it's been rated for handling. What kind of career should he be preparing for? Statistician? Economist? Market Analyst?