Autism Registry for First Responders

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:08 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/12/ ... istry.html

I am pleased with this initiative. Providing more information to first responders is always helpful, and I think it comes with the added benefit of reinforcing the message to police, in particular, that we are not all neurotypical, and just because someone reacts in an unexpected way does not mean that they are necessarily a threat to themselves or to another.

Given that policing in the Mirimachi is provided by the RCMP, I am hopeful that we will see this spread to other Divisions across the country, and into municipal police forces as well.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2009, 1:35 am

Doesn't change anything, ACAB. Especially the Canadian ones as far as I've seen.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 2:33 am

Sounds reasonable to me.

Would go a long way toward easing my fears of getting tangled up with first responders in a crisis where for this Aspie it might become meltdown city from stress.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:20 am

It is a good idea up to a point...HOWEVER...it must be limited to ONLY to first responders and health care workers and should NOT BE DISCLOSED if the individual is applying for a job , since it could result in discrimination.It should be utilized in the same way that is done with health records...privacy rights and all for the autistic individual.
It would be sad if it was treated in a way that resulted in hindering the individuals chances for success.Employers should NOT have any access to this and if they do need it to help the potential employee, it should be done AFTER the person is hired and if the person is being laid off later on, the employer must give a reason (such as bad economy and the employer must provide proof as to loss in business) and if no reason or proof is given it shall be treated as wrongful dismissal and discrimination.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!