Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 1:47 pm

Transplantman wrote:
Ok aspies, how do you feel about the general folk wisdom that disorders like ADD are for the most part made up by money-hungry doctors and drug manufacturers and perpetuated by lazy parents who would rather slap a disease label on their child's youthful behaviour than be a good parent, and that this thinking permeates into ASD's as well? (ie. that South Park episode)
Bonus points: who wants to push Jenny McCarthy down a flight of stairs?

EDIT: Additionally, do you believe that for the most part doctors will prescribe you drugs even if it is unnecessary for their own benefit? Can they be trusted?

In the UK, we have the NHS, so we can't afford to give a child a diagnosis that they don't need or medicine they don't need. I don't believe that ASD's or ADHD are overdiagnosed or, even worse, "made up" by pharmecutical companies in order to get money from vulnerable people. Sure, there are doctors that are corrupt and exploit people, but they are a sub-form of Quack. Real doctors are doctors because they care for their patients and maybe this sounds naive but I think most doctors are trustworthy people. If we can trust them wth our bodies, then we can trust them with our minds as well.

It is possible that children may be misdiagnosed with ADHD or autism when their symptoms are actually part of a different disorder all together, but I'm not sure of how common this is (I doubt it's that common). A lot of people fool themselves by thinking that Aspies are just shy, that people with ADHD are just hyper and that people with ADD are just dull. That really frustrates me, however it is an example of how people assume that because someone doesn't "look weird" then the person is "normal".

I think people who claim that ADHD or Aspergers is a made up disorder don't really know what they are talking about and those people should be ignored (unless they have any evidence to prove their claims, which none of them do).

Also, I wouldn't mind pushing Jenny McCarthy down a flight of stairs :P

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 2:37 pm

millie wrote:
they could walk a mile in my shoes for a year and then revisit their views.

as for jenny? i don't really care what she says and i don't like scapegoating...even when it is directed at bimbos.

That. ^

The very idea of Asperger's not being a real disorder is laughable to me. If anyone with AS was convinced it was a make-believe disorder, not for occasional periods of time due to self doubt, but solidly, constantly, and with resolution, then in my opinion it would be either a. they were misdiagnosed, or b. they also have a dual diagnosis of narcissism, and having a disorder simply doesn't fit into their view of themself.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 3:03 pm

Well when I mention perhaps having Asperger's Syndrome my Psychiatrist said "That's something diagnosed in children and there's no pill for that and this is a place that gives pills." I was like oh. My current Psychiatrist IMO just agreed with me describing AS to shut me up LOL! My Psychology teacher described disorders and they are just a list that describes your behavior it doesn't define you. Sadly after learning of AS and the many issues I have dealing with my family IMO your behavior DOES define you. I'd be stupid if I didn't think OMG I have no friends no life etc. while others are I wonder why!?

Overall though I think if doctors (physicians) did what people in Psychology did (therapist,Psychiatrist etc.) they'd be fired/jailed/sued. (imagine you describe your headache you've had for 2 weeks and they say lets look at your foot) My experience is Oh you're depressed over getting kicked out of College and upsetting EVERYONE in your environment either A) take a pill or B) just get over it. One therapist said if she was the Psychology teacher she'd never want to see me again (UH that made me MORE depressed) Another asked me what issues I had (I said upsetting everyone etc.) he said that's issues they have with you. I was TOTALLY confused I FEEL AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES A BEHAVIOR UPSETTING A PSYCHOLOGIST AND GETTING MYSELF KICKED OUT OF COLLEGE AND COMING TO TERMS WITH THE FACT THAT I UPSET EVERYONE IN MY ENVIRONMENT ISN'T AN ISSUE?! !! !! !! !! !! !!1 Get REAL!! !! !! !