Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Transplantman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2009, 2:58 pm

Ok aspies, how do you feel about the general folk wisdom that disorders like ADD are for the most part made up by money-hungry doctors and drug manufacturers and perpetuated by lazy parents who would rather slap a disease label on their child's youthful behaviour than be a good parent, and that this thinking permeates into ASD's as well? (ie. that South Park episode)
Bonus points: who wants to push Jenny McCarthy down a flight of stairs?

EDIT: Additionally, do you believe that for the most part doctors will prescribe you drugs even if it is unnecessary for their own benefit? Can they be trusted?

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

Transplantman wrote:
Ok aspies, how do you feel about the general folk wisdom that disorders like ADD are for the most part made up by money-hungry doctors and drug manufacturers and perpetuated by lazy parents who would rather slap a disease label on their child's youthful behaviour than be a good parent, and that this thinking permeates into ASD's as well? (ie. that South Park episode)

Sometimes I get to where I kinda wish on them the thing they say does not exist. :evil:

Quote:

No, don't think she's quite that bad from what little I've heard.

Quote:
EDIT: Additionally, do you believe that for the most part doctors will prescribe you drugs even if it is unnecessary for their own benefit? Can they be trusted?

My physician can certainly be trusted - but then again, he's an old rural doctor with his office next to a cow pasture, they tend to have a different outlook than big city doctors. :D
(as it happens he has Scoliosis, so he knows firsthand what it's like to have medical issues)

Although when I lived in the city I did have good doctors.
My current Psychiatrist who's in his residency at a university in a nearby city is also what I would call the sensible type.
My current Psychologist is also the sensible type, a farm girl who breeds horses as well as practicing medicine.
I'd say even the veterinarians we both use are quite sensible as well.

Out here in the middle of farm country you gotta be sensible - no one to bail you out if you're not.
And these old Missouri farmers don't truck no B.S.
(except when hauling cattle to market or breeding bulls off to do what they do best) :wink: :lol:

Last edited by southwestforests on 24 Dec 2009, 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trickie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2009, 3:20 pm

Well I think its bull about the doctors wanting to make money and about the parents (I wasn't diagnosed till I was 18 and have never been prescribed medication).

People just don't want to admit that AS and other disorders exist because it means that they might have to be a little more open minded

Transplantman

24 Dec 2009, 3:39 pm

southwestforests wrote:
Transplantman wrote:
Quote:

No, don't think she's quite that bad from what little I've heard.

She uses her son's autism to convince people not to vaccinate their children, claiming there is a connection. She's even written books on "preventing autism" based admittedly only on her "mommy instincts". Prior to her child's diagnosis, she claimed he was an "indigo child" and was endowed with superpowers. Apparently showing your breasts in a magazine entitles you to dispense medical advice to an impressionable public.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 3:52 pm

i do think aspergers is made up together with autism. there just words for difrent. dont know about the docters though think it differs between countrys

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 3:56 pm

Transplantman wrote:

I generally don't think very highly of the intelligence and beliefs of people like that

introspective
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2009, 3:57 pm

I can see how AS can be difficult to come to terms with. Self-diagnoses (which the Internet have generally laughed at) have increased in number at a time when funding for Asperger-related studies has really started to open up. Self-diagnosers allegedly need an excuse for their hardships, and research psychologists need capital for some kind of study, wouldn't it make sense that it just works out? This is an argument that global warming deniers have made against scientists, at least.

Even if Lorna Wing did throw in the chips for Asperger's Syndrome because she thought that it would sell, most if not all doctors would have been fooled in the process. For example: My father, a doctor, told me that I had AS, but not much has been done about it. Of the hundreds and hundreds of patients that he sees, most that are diagnosed with something are sent to other doctors. In both cases, it's not a profit that he's thinking about. Of course, I can't speak for other doctors and psychologists.

I, for one, was thrilled when some people decided to link milk and the like to autism. I now drink milk every day, just in case. :D

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2009, 4:50 pm

i hate people who does that, which is 99% of the population of earth. you wouldent claim someone with a missing leg is faking or just lazy to stand up! autism is real and common!

can we put a proximity mine at the bottom of the stairs first?

24 Dec 2009, 5:00 pm

Transplantman wrote:

I hate it when I see it. It annoys me. Sometimes it makes me mad. I just stay away from those people because no chance will they understand me and they might assume I am being this way on purpose and I can just stop it if we chatted online.
They just don't fully understand it and maybe if they met a real aspie, they would see it's real but me, I am too mild so they won't really learn from me would they? I might just come off as normal with a few flaws that can easily be fixed or have a few things I have difficulty with that isn't really big such as taking things literal or not reading people.

No I don't want to push Jenny down the stairs. She is just an idiot and people are gullible buying what she says. Naive for believing the vaccine crap.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 5:05 pm

they could walk a mile in my shoes for a year and then revisit their views.

as for jenny? i don't really care what she says and i don't like scapegoating...even when it is directed at bimbos.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 5:15 pm

Someone would have to account for why Hans Asperger "made up" the children he evaluated in the 1940s in Europe, where money-hungry docs and pharma firms didn't exist as they are thought of today.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 5:49 pm

I always consider the source. And usually the source is an a-hole, so I let it go. I have nothing against Jenny McCarthy, though.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 5:55 pm

AS is not a disease, and drugs do not treat it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 6:41 pm

Asperger's is not made-up, nor is it a disease. If Asperger's was a disease, I would have died from it, a long time, ago. It's a disorder and not a disease.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:17 pm

Transplantman wrote:

In my country if a doctor earns money for the drugs he prescribes he would lose his lincese and probably go to jail. And we are just a "developing" country. Really, where do you people live that the state of things is so chaotic??? 8O 8O

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Asperger's is not made-up, nor is it a disease. If Asperger's was a disease, I would have died from it, a long time, ago. It's a disorder and not a disease.

I like the term disorder as in developmental disorder because it is a different way that the brain develops so the term is correct... I also like the term disability as AS hinders the development of some abilities... However I think that disease is offensive because it sounds like we are inferior just because of the way we are....