Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TenebraruM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2004, 2:34 pm

Heh, Taz, that's probably why I remember you getting 12% in that German test - your paper was illegible :roll:

Back on topic - I brought up this in another post I beleive - it took me a long time to learn to read & write. My teachers and parents, as well as grandparents, made me practice a fair bit. Once it caught on, however, my handwriting became neat (probably due to my incessant writing down of all in-game speech, including Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon etc).

However, my writing has remained painfully slow (my hands start aching after a short time of writing, too). I've noticed other people seem to lift their hands up, reducing pressure between letters, while using joined up writing, I flow through - concentrate on every line. I beleive it's due to some sort of disorder that disallows the brain to learn the patterns of writing - similar to our social deficits. I read into it a while back, though I can't remember its name.

As an extra note, once I caught on reading and writing there was no stopping me. My vocabulary increased at an astounding rate, my reading age increased dramatically, & my spelling age increased to around 3-4 years greater than my choronological age.

otherworldly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2004, 1:56 pm

Do not worry about your child. I am 15 and I still print everything none of my teachers mind at all. The only trouble I had was in the 3-4th grade. I had two horrible teachers. So I told them to "back off" and refused to do anything other then print luckly my parents supported me because the the teacher was not happy :) .

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2004, 12:09 pm

My handwriting is slow and messy. I prefer to type things.

Zephyr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2004, 9:49 am

At school I've always hated to to write in print, I prefer cursive but my writing is terrible, I can't write on the line so my words hover in between, and it looks like a bunch of squiggles. People trying to read it tell me there is no difference between my upper and lower case words even though I think there is, they say it all looks the same! No one can read it lol. :lol:

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2004, 9:08 pm

ilster wrote:
As an adult, I much prefer to use title case when leaving notes for other people. Sometimes I can't read my own cursive - let alone let the others have a go. I used to 'mirror write' in cursive in my teens - can still do it if I really concentrate. I think upper case is easier than lower, because you set a definite top and bottom height, and you move your fingers a regular distance without the additional strain of judging midlines, baselines etc, and shifting finger position. I'm only guessing - I'm no occupational therapist. I can barely write in lower case. Interestingly however, I have fabulous line and brush control when painting or illustrating.... cross hatching used to be a favourite - in fact I am trying to teach myself to loosen up and not be so rigorous about forms when I paint. I did sign-writing for a while, and with dedication and perseverance, could form letters with perfectly even widths using a single brush stroke. Wierd isn't it!

I have the same problem sometimes even now. I will write something down, but it is so undiscernable I can't even read my own writing. Some teachers used to say I wrote like a doctor. I had writing help when I was in my teens that helped some, but like I said there are still times that no one can read it.

Jodi

06 Dec 2004, 9:40 pm

I hate writing in cursive. I almost always use print, nobody says anything. I would say my handwritings bad. Its easier to read than some of the teachers ive had in the past. My handwriting looks like a kids, but its legible. I dont call it bad, more like "crude" and i often joke about it. Ive had people try and cheat off my papers, but they dont have the patience to decifer it. :twisted:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2004, 2:37 am

my handwriting looks like illuminated script - absolutely beautiful. however, even i can't read it, mostly. it's also incredibly tiny. i LOATHE writing - i've missed out on jobs because i couldn't face filling in application forms.

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2004, 4:33 pm

Printing is pretty horrible actually. They only started teaching it because some bureaucrat thought it would be a good idea if our hands wrote letters the same way typewriters did. Seriously.

Cursive is a connected form of 'Italic' handwriting if I recall. I advise you to get your child immediately home studied on a handwriting book that teaches Italic, and not trust school programs. Handwriting doesn't exactly take a PH.D. to teach, just make sure he gets it well into his head how important it is to be able to control one's handwriting. He probably thinks that as long as he can read it why worry, but it's really other people he has to be worried about: people who he will want to read what he has written in the future.

I honeslty wish someone had beaten better handwriting into me in 3rd grade. To this day I have horrible handwriting, strange shaped letters that I simply can't get into the right shape. My e's look like c's, my w's look like n's, it's really bad. Nobody ever forced me to learn how to draw a quick loop, so anything with a loop in it gets turned into a scribble. Maybe it was always impossible for me to learn good handwriting, but I can also say that the adults in my life during 3rd and 4th grade didn't help much by trying to give me freedom and not push me too hard. Handwriting is communication. It is both the writer and the reader.

A child will hate the parents who humiliate them, who tell the child ey are no good, who tell the child one thing, then discipline harshly for doing another. A child will hate the parents who say the child doesn't deserve love, or recognition as much as they can earn. A child will not hate the parents that make em practice good handwriting firmly and consistently. At least not after the initial tantrums. ;)

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2004, 5:02 pm

I also had a really hard time learning to write. It was really messy until recently. My handwriting still is large, round, and almost illegible to most people - but it's still damn cute. hehehe

Cursive, however, is another world to me, I hated it. I can't write in it even now, and I'm 15. it's okay, though, my teachers don't care. But I suggest extra practice to improve handwriting for anybody. It will look good for job applications and stuff in the future.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2004, 7:34 pm

I disagree with forcing cursive. Some people have dysgraphia and are not capable of it being done in a manner expected.

Bobcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2004, 3:56 pm

I have horrible handwriting as well. Back when I was in elementary school, teachers and other kids were merciless in ridiculing my attempts to write. And having to stand up in front of the class and write on the blackboard with a piece of chalk was comedy hour.

Many of us with AS can write with pencils and pens just good enough to be read and nothing more. If I had a kid with AS, I'd be patient but diligent getting him/her to practice writing in printed letters or cursive, at least well enough that the child can read it and I can too. Beyond that, typing is the way to go. The emphasis on handwriting today has lessened, thank goodness!

Road_Kamelot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2007, 11:20 pm

I use lappy for school, writing by hand hurts me and stuff, but i have the amazing ability to write in a straight line without looking at the paper, even on lineless paper :O