Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 7:32 pm

It seems to be a fairly aspie thing to do. What do you all collect?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 7:47 pm

Glass, first edition books, musical instruments... pretty much anything antique.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Dec 2009, 8:01 pm

Computers and computer stuff, from 80s to modern.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 8:06 pm

With me it's more like obsessive compulsive acquisition and chronic hoarding. I have faaaaaaaaaar to many t-shirts. I also keep the sponges that come inside those little tubs of vitamin bottles. And some other stuff I don't really need. When I was a child, I mainly collected stationery, but I also went through periods of collecting other stuff, such as soil samples.

The one thing I consciously collect now is polystyrene mouldings, the kind they use to pack a new fridge or TV. I am collecting them because I want to put them all over my wall so that my bedroom will look like the Millenium Falcon.

leighsa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Dec 2009, 8:16 pm

I don't collect anything. My parents and my husband's parents are both packrats/hoarders and it makes me crazy!! I can't stand clutter and keep very few material possessions other than "necessities". The only thing I have that could possibly be considered a collection is music CDs.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 8:48 pm

I don't like clutter either. I am a minimalist. That's one of the paradoxes of being me.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 9:33 pm

My own collections are not all that special: video games, film/animation equipment, and certain books/DVD. My former Japanese teacher and her husband collect and frame absolute vodka ads. They have a room dedicated to these ads called the Absolute room, and that just touches the surface of their museum like house. Do any of your collections cause you stress?

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 10:34 pm

The one thing I consciously collect now is polystyrene mouldings, the kind they use to pack a new fridge or TV. I am collecting them because I want to put them all over my wall so that my bedroom will look like the Millenium Falcon.[/quote]

Awesome.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 11:31 pm

Over the last few months I've bought a lot of videogames on ebay, it just feels good.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 12:57 pm

I've been collecting I Love Lucy memorabilia for nine years. Lucy is my biggest special interest and always will be.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 9:35 pm

I guess I should say that I have stressed over my collection at times to a degree that is unhealthy.

redphoenix_mj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Dec 2009, 10:03 pm

I collect:
books
tea-pots (english only)
original Star Wars figurines (SW, ESB, and RJ only)
Star Trek books published in late 60's and 70's
handmade lampwork beads (I make them myself too!)
crystals (not because I believe in their healing/mystical power) I just like rocks
letters from my friends, spouse, family

mjm

leighsa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Dec 2009, 10:07 pm

Shadwell wrote:
I guess I should say that I have stressed over my collection at times to a degree that is unhealthy.

Stressed over it in what way? I used to collect stuff when I was much younger but there was a point at which I stopped, and also got rid of the collections that I did have...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 10:24 pm

I collect maps, books, DVDs, hot sauce and barbecue sauce bottles, souvenirs from vacations.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 12:07 pm

[/quote] Stressed over it in what way? I used to collect stuff when I was much younger but there was a point at which I stopped, and also got rid of the collections that I did have...[/quote]

Well you know "I got to have it," and that's hard to do when your poor. I have a plan to end my video game collection at some point.

Viktorya
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2009, 5:45 pm

When I was younger, I collected all sorts of rocks and stones (I still do sometimes, if I see one that I like the shape of). My parents didn't know what to do with them... I moved on to giant branches that had fallen from the trees on our street, which were moved to the garage when my parents got tired of seeing the things in the yard. As I got older I stopped collecting as much because I just didn't have anywhere to put it...
My dad tried to get me interested in stamp and coin collecting, but they were boring to me. Why collect little pieces of paper and metal? They're all the same! I would much rather have a collection of unique rocks that I found in my yard than some old coins that I had bought from some other collector or something.
At one point I tried to collect soda bottles and cans but the parents didn't like that either....
Right now the only things I collect are anime figures and Transformers toys. They're not as "useless" as the other things, according to my parents, so they let me keep them. Once I get older and get an apartment or a house I'm sure it will be filled with all sorts of collections! :D
I also have a small collection (well, by my standards) of pins and buttons that I used to keep on my messenger bag. I got too many, though, and I ended up taking them all off and getting a new bag :oops:
They're now sitting in a pile on my bookshelf...

I also collect Magic: The Gathering cards, though I took a break for a few years. I recently rediscovered my love of the game, though, and have started collecting again.

If this counts, I also collect mounts and pets in World of Warcraft. I'll grab as many as I can get my hands on... if anyone else plays, I'd be glad to tell more about my collection :)