Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Viktorya
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2009, 5:45 pm

When I was younger, I collected all sorts of rocks and stones (I still do sometimes, if I see one that I like the shape of). My parents didn't know what to do with them... I moved on to giant branches that had fallen from the trees on our street, which were moved to the garage when my parents got tired of seeing the things in the yard. As I got older I stopped collecting as much because I just didn't have anywhere to put it...
My dad tried to get me interested in stamp and coin collecting, but they were boring to me. Why collect little pieces of paper and metal? They're all the same! I would much rather have a collection of unique rocks that I found in my yard than some old coins that I had bought from some other collector or something.
At one point I tried to collect soda bottles and cans but the parents didn't like that either....
Right now the only things I collect are anime figures and Transformers toys. They're not as "useless" as the other things, according to my parents, so they let me keep them. Once I get older and get an apartment or a house I'm sure it will be filled with all sorts of collections! :D
I also have a small collection (well, by my standards) of pins and buttons that I used to keep on my messenger bag. I got too many, though, and I ended up taking them all off and getting a new bag :oops:
They're now sitting in a pile on my bookshelf...

I also collect Magic: The Gathering cards, though I took a break for a few years. I recently rediscovered my love of the game, though, and have started collecting again.

If this counts, I also collect mounts and pets in World of Warcraft. I'll grab as many as I can get my hands on... if anyone else plays, I'd be glad to tell more about my collection :)

rabryst
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2009, 7:19 am

When I was younger, I collected miniature bottles (those aeroplane booze bottles) because my father flew a lot on business.

In 1994 I started collecting buttons and pins, and stuck them all on my jacket. I loved them then, I think they're silly now.

Now I collect books. I have all of Stephen King and Terry Pratchett. I get the new Pratchett book every year for my birthday. That is a good present.

I also collect paper slips (receipts, invoices, credit notes, etc.) on the premise that they'll be useful for tax purposes: however, they've got online tax returns now so this is also pointless. Thanks, WP, for making me realise this :-)

Next year we're emigrating to Canada, so I have to sell or give away everything. Then I can collect something new. I'm looking forward to that.

carbink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2015, 1:35 pm

i collect rocks and pokemon cards! i've been collecting both since i was in elementary school

ShyGigyas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2015, 5:44 pm

I collect edited/clean versions of hip-hop, R&B and soul albums. Those genres of music have been played around me throughout my whole life; I've wanted to listen to it on my own starting in sixth grade but I couldn't because of the explicit material, so I had to buy clean versions on Amazon, starting with Busta Rhymes' first four albums. Eventually I started buying more albums from more artists on Amazon, eBay, record stores and of course big name retailers that carry edited albums, like Walmart. I now have a huge music library in which 60% of the albums I own are edited versions. It has gotten to the point where I buy them compulsively, but my parents do not mind at all as long as I am strengthening my knowledge of music lol. In fact they are happy that I am so into my music, and there are some albums that I for sure want to buy that are not available clean but are not too bad, and I'm almost 16 so they don't mind that either. I've thought about getting the Goodie Mob album "Soul Food" recently, it is essential to any fan of the classic Southern rap before it went almost literally south, if you know what I mean.

rabryst
Raven
Raven

17 May 2015, 5:47 pm

It's been five and a half years since I last posted. Right now I'm still collecting receipts (old habits die hard), and music on iTunes. It's great that you're into music too. My taste is varied though, so it's not just similar genres like hip-hop, R&B and soul.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 6:56 pm

I keep receipts for a period of time to compare prices and items plus I have difficulty deciding which papers need to be kept and which should be thrown away. I also like to keep the receipt for a book in the book and use it as a bookmark.

I collect books and dvds.

domanite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2015, 2:59 pm

I used to collect comic books, but that was a while ago. I still have a bunch in boxes - I have this fever dream that someday I'll open them and discover they are worth "one ... milion ... dollars!" (said in best Dr. Evil voice.)

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2015, 6:03 pm

I have collected things since I was a small child. I currently collect POP Vinyl figures, some Japanese toys (Figma especially), stuffed animals, videogames (Have over 900). Less frequently I collect DVD/BluRay, books on religion and esoterica, and Sylvanian Families/Calico Critters.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 10:32 pm

I collect movies (on either DVD or Blu-Ray), video games, and music (particularly soundtrack music on Spotify for a special playlist I use whenever I'm writing).