Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Matt55
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2009, 3:57 pm

In my opinion Adam (2009) is a great movie, what I am angered by is that it is almost fifteen years late!! ! This movie should have been made right after Asperger's Syndrome was officially recognized by the psychiatric community and added to the DSM-IV manual in 1994! It would have saved me alot of grief, and people wouldn't have compared me to Rain Man! Had it been made in 1994 and released in 1995, here is how I would have cast Adam:

Adam Raki: Jeff Bridges (He is great at playing quirky characters and would have made this role all his own!)
Will Raki (Adam's father): Paul Newman
Beth Butchwald: Sigourney Weaver (Great actress, talented in both comedy and drama)
Marty Butchwald: Gene Hackman (Perfect at playing villains and unsympathetic characters like Marty Butchwald)
Margreat Butchwald: Shirley MacClaine (After seeing Terms of Endearment (1983), she would have been my first choice)

Had it been made back in the 1990s with this cast, there would have been some minor plot changes such as Adam being more independent given that Jeff Bridges was already in his mid-forties at the time, however everything else plotwise would have been pretty much the same such as the issues of friendships and dating. I know it seems meaningless to dwell on the past, however it is fun to think about what this movie could have been like had it been made earlier!