Playing a musical instrument as a special interest, or music

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2009, 2:58 am

Has anyone here had the actual playing of a musical instrument, or learning all they can about music theory, as a special interest?

I would love to learn the piano and learn about the theory behind music, such as the chords and how to know which chords go with what single notes, and how timing works.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 3:09 am

Yes, I guess you could say singing and composing are special interests of mine. I'm not sure I'm obsessive enough about them to classify them as such though... (like I don't spend every waking minute thinking about music).

BugziMerit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2009, 4:23 am

I have played piano since I was a kid. I would say Music is one of the most important subjects of my life. I still have a hard time explaining it. I uploaded some songs i play on youtube for fun. this is my first post so wrongplanet wont let me post a link to my youtube videos.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2009, 4:38 am

Playing the violin is my special interest. Am not especially interested in music theory.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:22 am

I've always wanted to play the drums, so I'm teaching myself to play them. Not everybody who takes part in the Friday and Sunday jam sessions at my clubhouse are thrilled with my Kinks sound, though. One of the guys wants me to play some rock n roll beat. It seems that I'm hard-pressed to find any acceptance, anywhere. I still play, because I want to follow in the footsteps of my idol.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 8:39 am

ponies wrote:
Has anyone here had the actual playing of a musical instrument, or learning all they can about music theory, as a special interest?
Certainly, definitely and completely. (in my case, guitars etc.)
ponies wrote:
I would love to learn the piano and learn about the theory behind music, such as the chords and how to know which chords go with what single notes, and how timing works.
Here is something to get you started:
G7 resolves so nicely into C because the dissonant augmented fourth within the G7 (b and f) resolves so nicely into the consonant major third within the C (c and e): The G7's b moves half a step upwards to become the C's c, while the G7's f moves half a step downwards to become the C's e.
You can see it nicely on the piano, if you play just the notes I mentioned, while omitting the other notes of those chords.

http://www.autscape.org/

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 8:42 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Not everybody who takes part in the Friday and Sunday jam sessions at my clubhouse are thrilled with my Kinks sound, though.
I would love to hear you drumming while lazing on a sunny afternoon during a Waterloo sunset... :)

http://www.autscape.org/

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 8:45 am

bass playing as my hobby :P

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

28 Dec 2009, 9:54 am

I taught myself how to read music and play the piano when I was about 7. I was then in band playing the clarinet (I would have preferred the drums, trumpet or saxophone). I have since amassed around twenty or so various instruments. I would like to learn the harp and violin (which I have) but the piano is still my favorite and most comforting.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Dec 2009, 11:46 am

ponies wrote:
Has anyone here had the actual playing of a musical instrument, or learning all they can about music theory, as a special interest?...

Only for about half my life. :D I love to analyze the music I play - it provides a depth of understanding that wouldn't be there if I just learned the notes. It helps me to see *why* music sounds the way it does to me.

Piano is a great place to start - especially since it's probably the easiest instrument for which to find good instructors. You might want to seek out a piano teacher who specifically uses the concepts of music theory in their instruction (some will only want to teach you the technique & notes.)

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 11:51 am

Definitely! I'm obsessed with the piano.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Dec 2009, 12:34 pm

BugziMerit wrote:
I have played piano since I was a kid. I would say Music is one of the most important subjects of my life. I still have a hard time explaining it. I uploaded some songs i play on youtube for fun. this is my first post so wrongplanet wont let me post a link to my youtube videos.

Well, I can't exactly say "Welcome to Wrong Planet" because I see you have been a member for quite a while, but congratulations on making your first post. :D

I can't imagine life without music. If I had to choose between losing my sight or my hearing, I would choose my sight. Bob Dylan's music has been my primary special interest for 46 years. I play the piano, mostly Dylan songs but I am not a gifted musician. I get by, teach myself how to play new tunes. Play for my own enjoyment, although I can read and write music, I really have no real comprehension of theory. I have a decent electric keyboard in my bedroom and a very old and beautiful upright piano in the downstairs hall. Needs tuning and the sustain peddle is broken. It is very prized among my material possessions.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Dec 2009, 12:37 pm

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by cosmiccat on 28 Dec 2009, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 12:57 pm

I wish I had been given music lessons when I was young..i think that would have really helped to focus/integrate me...but my family was rather dysfunctional and poor...though my dad can play several instruments..pretty much anything he picks up, and my mom plays the guitar...or did when she was younger. When I was really little, the house was full of instruments and I would spend long periods of time sitting at the piano or organ making up musical stories, mimicking (in my head) symphonies..(there was a lot of both modern and classical music played in the house)....annnyway....I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had been trained in music instead of carted off to the evil bad smelling flourescent lighted hell of public school and placed in the care of teachers who hated me.... :?

howyousay
Every memory I have of learning to talk as a child involves singing....and I received a lot of praise for singing and singing made a lot more sense than talking and it was easier...and so I sometimes figure that I sorta learned to talk through singing...My grandmother sang with me constantly..I was encouraged to sing in front of grownups....and so on...

I memorized my first musical around the age of 6..it was Oklahoma...and growing up, singing was always a big part of my life. No matter how crappy and frustrating and difficult every other part of my life was, I was always a good singer....

I was in a summer youth production of Cats at the age of 11...even though I was too young to be in it...because I was such a strong singer and had already memorized all the words..

My parents allowed me to join a band when I was 15 because it was the area in which I was always the strongest...

I didn't really become functional on any musical instrument till I was in my 20's...I can play some piano and some guitar, but I like the ukulele best...and it is definitely a special interest...

Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2009, 9:45 pm

Music is my main special interest. I literally spend every waking moment thinking about my fiddle and the things I am currently learning to play. I can't play 24/7, but it's always present in my mind. Haha. But I think I'm progressing pretty fast- which is probably due to my intense interest in the subject.

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 12:06 am

Music has probably been my consistent obsession. I started learning piano at age five. Picked up guitar at 13. I started listening to progressive rock around this time, such as Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd and Dream Theater. I soon got my first synthesizer. Eventually started experimenting with other instruments like wood flute, mandolin, and bass. If I ever go deaf, someone kill me.