Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

blackmetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2010, 12:47 pm

Ok so my doctor diagnosed me with aspergers when I was about 10 - 11, i'm now 16.

But i'm starting to think that I've got some other thing like perhaps ADHD but i'm not really sure. Because after reading a lot of things on the forums here, I've noticed that a lot of people with aspergers wouldn't fight, and call themselves "wimps". Yet i'm the complete opposite, I don't like to make myself sound like some violent little thug because i'm not, I see my self as a nice bloke, but i'm very easy to temper and i do quite a bit of boxing now and again woth my mate at a boxing blub :s I know I must sound like a twat right now but there are other things aswell. Like obsessions??? I've never had any proper obsessions, except for maybe my future job which is to be in the royal marines hopefully, but I don't see that as an obsession it's just something I really want to do and you kind of have to be a bit obsessed for that anyway because i'm having to train preety hard for that because it's one of the toughest armed forces in the world. (I'm sorry if i'm confusing people with my writing but i'm tired, I done an all nighter with my mates last night!! ! lol) And then everyone with aspergers say that they can't cope with change, thats another thing that doesn't affect me! in fact I love to have a change now and again, and i don't really have no routine for doing things either???

Could someone please tell me if that sounds like someone with aspergers??? Because I'm seriously having my doubts lol, is it possible I could have (or had) ADHD instead???

I prefer death metal :D

blackmetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2010, 12:58 pm

other few things to add...

- I don't have facial blindness, i'm actually very good at remembering faces.

- I have never had a so-called "sensory overload", I can handle shopping centres and things like that quite well, crowds don't bother me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 1:55 pm

Well, here's the criteria the doctors use to diagnose it:

Quote:
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

If you go down that list and try to determine which traits you have and which you don't have, you may be able to figure out whether or not you need to be re-evaluated. If you're borderline, I wouldn't bother about it; it's probably just the typical case of someone "growing out of" a mild case of Asperger's.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 2:33 pm

Callista wrote:
it's probably just the typical case of someone "growing out of" a mild case of Asperger's.

I don't believe you can 'grow out' of autism. I think that's what psychologists say when they realize they've made a mistake and don't want to admit it.

IMHO, its more likely, as blackmetal says, he never had AS in the first place and was merely misdiagnosed.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2010, 2:39 pm

It might be that since you were diagnosed and got training/therapy/support to make ASDs more manageable fairly early on, and were also mild to begin with, you just adjusted well. So yeah, maybe you're only formerly diagnosable. ASDs are strange beasts, though, in that they can be as totally different as two different people's personalities.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 2:47 pm

Willard wrote:
Callista wrote:
it's probably just the typical case of someone "growing out of" a mild case of Asperger's.

I don't believe you can 'grow out' of autism. I think that's what psychologists say when they realize they've made a mistake and don't want to admit it.

I think that some aspects of autism one can grow out of. And it's just possible that one can change/grow such as to go from fitting the diagnostic criteria, to not fitting them. Which isn't the same as losing all autistic traints. It's just changing one's spot on the spectrum.

Blackmetal, not sure if you know this or not. ADHD is considered by some to be part of the spectrum. (Some think it's related to autism. Others think it just looks alike but isn't related.)

Also, keep in mind that there's a lot of variation. And one really can't look at any single trait and just whether someone is autistic/aspie based on that. It's the pattern.

Also, as I already made reference to, it's a spectrum. In addition to the variation, different people have different degrees of autism/aspie-ness versus NT-ness.

I've got some of both. I don't think, as far as a diagnostic label, that I could say that I have autism or Asperger's. But I do know that there's enough of those traits in me that I've learned a lot about myself from learning about autism.

blackmetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2010, 2:55 pm

well thanks everyone for the help, i think it would probably be best to go to my gp and speak to her as I need to find out if she thinks im ok to go in to the marines, i hope i am! autism is so confusing though, so isit possible then to have bits of everything on the autism spectrum? sorry to be a pain :/

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 12:52 am

Willard wrote:
Callista wrote:

IMHO, its more likely, as blackmetal says, he never had AS in the first place and was merely misdiagnosed.
Okay, I should explain that. What I mean when I mention growing out of autism, is growing out of the diagnosis, not necessarily the neurotype. You can only be diagnosed with autism if you are impaired by autism. If you had a mild case and you learn to compensate for the impairments as you grow up, then you can no longer be diagnosed with autism. You still have an autistic neurotype, but not an autism diagnosis. That happens all the time--though almost never to people whose cases could not be called "mild" even in early childhood.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 6:04 am

Could it be possible that you have more than one condition? I've been diagnosed AS with Tourette syndrome and AD/HD tendancies (translation, we can't be a***d to diagnose fully...). I know what you mean about the anger and fighting. I'm quite violent when I get angry and it drives me mad. Not everyone with AS is a sweet little angel!

burchet
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2010, 7:00 am

I'm the same re doubting-I was diagnosed with AS at 4...but now I don't think I have many AS traits at all. All the things like not liking change, not being able to work out how other people are feeling, not showing much emotion etc, that's not me.

I do probably have some AS traits-but I bet most people do.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:25 pm

Well, no-one can ever grow out of autism... but they can probably shift where they are on the spectrum.

Hmmm. Wonder if someone can grown in to autism?