What book are you reading right now?

Page 1 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 6:07 pm

Aimless wrote:

You might like Speed of Dark. It's about a man with Asperger's who has an opportunity to undergo a procedure to make him neurotypical. It's somewhat futuristic and Autism has generally been eliminated due to genetic research. He and a group of others were born before that was possible. It was written by a woman who has an adult son with AS. It's told from the young man's perspective. Of course I didn't find his perspective all that unusual.

Thanks for the tip!
I think I will check it out.
(Thing is - I've got a bunch of books by actual autistic people I keep meaning to read, top of the list probably being A Real Person by Gunila Gerland.)

Well, I finished Flowers for Algernon in two days. I want to tell the whole world how great it is!
I don't know what made me read it, given some of the mawkish stuff I've come across before about people with mental difficulties.

Btw, I heard a while back of a novel about a bunch of people who become "voluntary autistics" as a way of withdrawing from society, but I can't remember what it's called.
Anyone know?

Now I'm reading "The Grip of Death: A Study of Modern Money, Debt Slavery & Destructive Economics" 8)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 6:34 pm

skysaw wrote:
Aimless wrote:

You might like Speed of Dark. It's about a man with Asperger's who has an opportunity to undergo a procedure to make him neurotypical. It's somewhat futuristic and Autism has generally been eliminated due to genetic research. He and a group of others were born before that was possible. It was written by a woman who has an adult son with AS. It's told from the young man's perspective. Of course I didn't find his perspective all that unusual.

Thanks for the tip!
I think I will check it out.
(Thing is - I've got a bunch of books by actual autistic people I keep meaning to read, top of the list probably being A Real Person by Gunila Gerland.)

Well, I finished Flowers for Algernon in two days. I want to tell the whole world how great it is!
I don't know what made me read it, given some of the mawkish stuff I've come across before about people with mental difficulties.

Btw, I heard a while back of a novel about a bunch of people who become "voluntary autistics" as a way of withdrawing from society, but I can't remember what it's called.
Anyone know?

Now I'm reading "The Grip of Death: A Study of Modern Money, Debt Slavery & Destructive Economics" 8)

The voluntary autistics my be about a phenomenon in Japan where people just opt out of the intense pressure to succeed and never leave their rooms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/magaz ... anese.html

I'm going to look up A Real Person by Gunila Gerland.

Ray_Carver
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2010, 10:14 pm

I am finishing up Skin Trade, by Laurell K. Hamilton, right now. Then while I wait for the next book in the series to come in (it's already been ordered and is in the mail), I will probably read Lost Souls, by Poppy Z. Brite. I am excited to start that one, because I have had several people tell me it is amazing. And I can't wait for Flirt to come in, because I love the world of Anita Blake. My favorite!! !

Beatlegal
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2010, 7:33 pm

Finished Fairy Cube Vol.2

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 10:18 pm

Well, in the past...just over a week, I have finished five books. The eleventh volume of Neon Genesis Evangelion, a tie-in book for Avatar, the first volume of Pluto, And Another Thing..., and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The latter gave me a headache. Although I called it in the review on my book reading blog the Victorian equivalent of an acid trip, I think it would be better to say that it is more like the literary equivalent of a mugging: bad for the head and expensive.

A link to my book reading blog is below:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt118341.html

On sabbatical...

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 10:56 pm

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen, I finished Little Women about a month ago (Louisa is a fantastic author!).

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 8:39 am

Regenesis, by CJ Cherrywouldntitbecooltoaddanh. Sequel to Downbelow Station, Cyteen, 40,000 in Gehenna, all of which are good. It's a bit samey though. Bit like Asimov and Herbert thinking that resurrecting their characters over and over again was a good idea, it isn't. Well, with any luck she'll kill 'em off.

The year is still young.

kathryn_7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2010, 7:20 pm

firestarter- stephen king

whatamarshmallow
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2010, 11:44 pm

Snazzlestick wrote:
If this thread exists already, I apologise.

I'm currently reading the Communist Manifesto 8)

Youth In Revolt by J.D Payne (I think that's the authors' name?)

Wogar
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2010, 2:59 pm

If you mean the number of books that I have stalled on, the number is 10.

As for books that I am actively reading, this is "The Talmud: A Selection" by Norman Solomon.

whatamarshmallow
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2010, 8:26 pm

Wogar wrote:
If you mean the number of books that I have stalled on, the number is 10.

As for books that I am actively reading, this is "The Talmud: A Selection" by Norman Solomon.

Stalled on meaning you read some and lost interest and gave up, or have started and kinda put aside? I do this too... I'll 'read' four books at a time, until i'm hooked on one, finish it, and then I go back to the others individually.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 10:57 am

I'm reading Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The plot is similar to Battle Royale and is an easy read.
Next I'm going to read Hard Times by Charles Dickens. I meant to read this ages ago but I never got the chance. :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2010, 4:26 pm

I don't read much fiction. All my reading at the moment are uni books, one on childhood, one on autism and the book Freaks, geeks and aspergers partly for uni and partly personal interest/help

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 11:34 am

..a Biography of Elizabeth the 1st...woman author, but I don't have it in front of me...

AstenKathleen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2010, 1:27 pm

Breaking Dawn =]

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2010, 11:43 pm

I just re-read Filth by Irvine Welsh.
I read most good books several times.