Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 2:47 pm

exhausted wrote:
well---i'm not really sure that point D, for example, follows from point A. so in my opinion, it's a possible slippery slope. well--for instance: this would be my example of deductive reasoning:

1) you can tell (within a very high probability) that X skeleton belongs to a person of X ethnicity.

2) therefore X skeleton belongs to a person of X ethnicity.

3) since growth hormones determine the size and shape of this skeletal bone, we can conclude that growth hormones are processed differently across ethnicities.

4) the way growth hormones are processed is related to the way other hormones are processed (ex. testosterone.)

5) therefore it's possible that testosterone levels differ from one ethnicity to another.

but it's not necessarily true, for example, that growth hormones affect testosterone levels. so i think characteristics would need to be assessed individually: it's difficult to draw a conclusion about one given a vague probability about another.

this is how i see it, anyway.

does it make sense?

I am trying to follow the sample reasoning you provided, but I think there are a couple of major caveats, one in #3 and one in the "#6" that you previously referenced but didn't include this time around.

#3 -- skeletal bone growth is affected by hormones, but genetics of that ethnic group is not the only thing that affects hormones. Environmental cues do also. So there would be a misstatement for some people to conclude eventually that the difference between the ethnicities is intrinsic to the groups involved.

#6 -- What you mentioned earlier was along the lines of "higher testosterone leads to higher aggression". While perhaps this is true, I think there would again be a misstatement to make a moral judgment based on this statement. Higher testosterone can also increase physical strength to result in more effective protectors and guardians. So in the end it really depends on what you do with your higher testosterone. With respect to power and aggression, higher testosterone is not inherently good or bad, it just is.

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 4:08 pm

yes---i didn't say the argument was correct. i was trying to reach billsmithglendale's conclusions in earlier posts using deductive reasoning. but in order to do so, i had to fill in some blanks. the blanks i filled in are not accurate.

it's a risk of trying to take a slippery slope and turn it into something deductive, i guess.

Antonius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jan 2010, 4:25 pm

I'm 100% caucasian, or whatever it's called in english, and of swedish nationality.

Dear god, why? Oh, why.. :?

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:35 am

Antonius wrote:
I'm 100% caucasian, or whatever it's called in english, and of swedish nationality.

Dear god, why? Oh, why.. :?

lol. because both your parents are caucasian and live in sweden. :)

(in other words: it is not something to make a value judgement about.)

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 1:24 pm

Dear Antonius,
Cold and dark, yes it is.
Some of my mother's paintings are living in a few people's livingrooms in your country. Some of the people up the road from my mother's are first and second generation immigrants to the USA, and when some cousins from the old country visited, they also visited my mother and admired her paintings. She gave them a few to take home.
A lot of people of your ethnicity in my corner of the world. My sister married one and she makes lef....lef...lefschkies? leftkas? every Christmas now.

j5689
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2010, 1:26 pm

glamourdollxoxo wrote:
I'm of a mixed race African American, Native American, and Mexican. My boyfriend is Caucasian and Mexican so we make a pretty interesting couple, but I think we look good together regardless of what others think.

Gorgeous, your BF is LUCKY

I love mixed black/anything, but that's because I love black girls in general.

I might be doing something next weekend with this girl I met yesterday that's 1/2 black, 1/4 Dominican, 1/4 Puerto Rican.

I myself am just a European mix, heavy German and Irish, not really sure what else.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 10:23 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I've noticed that many people who have parents of different races, especially celebrities are pretty good-looking, I can think of a big amount of celebrities from the US especially who descend from different races, and some of them are said to be one of the worlds most beautiful males and females, don't you think mixing races is awesome?

1) In general celebrities are going to be more attractive than "real" people.
2) In just seeing somebody, you can't necessarily tell that they're mixed. You only notice if there's something striking about them.
3) "Composite" faces are almost always considered more attractive. There's always a think in psych textbooks where they go into how then they combine the faces of a bunch of people, the combined face is consistently rated as more attractive than any of the individual faces.
4) Mixing races deepens the gene pool. Bigger gene pool generally leads to better results, fewer people bashing their heads on the bottom..

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2010, 3:28 pm

Black and White but I just appear middle eastern.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:05 pm

My wife is of mixed race, white father, black mother. In addtion, they are from different countries than any of us live in now. Her father was central European and her mother is from a Carribean island. Ironically, my wife is lighter skinned than my Greek ancestory, but she has very dark brown eyes. Everyone assumes she's white or maybe Hispanic.

My parents had no problems with her at first, but once they found out about her mother, all hell broke loose and I'm pretty much ostracized from my family, which is OK since they are all very toxic towards me, and always have been.

In spite of all the problems my family tried to cause, we've stuck by each other and have been happily married for 8 years. I wouldn't have it any other way.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:09 pm

PrisonerSix wrote:

My parents had no problems with her at first, but once they found out about her mother, all hell broke loose and I'm pretty much ostracized from my family, which is OK since they are all very toxic towards me, and always have been.

Sad to hear they flipped out like that -- you would hope they would judge the person, and not be so polarized about the ethnicity.