Do you like tossing out random facts?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

06 Jan 2010, 12:59 am

Angnix wrote:
Willard wrote:
:roll: I am constantly interrupting people in mid-sentence to interject some bit of random useless trivia that popped up in my head as a result of something they just said.

If I don't say it right then, I'll forget, and who knows they may need that bit of information someday, after all they were discussing a related subject just now. And of course, by the time I'm done chasing my irrelevant rabbit far afield and have completely lost the trail - both of us have forgotten what we were discussing in the first place...

I wait til they finish the sentence, then I blurt it out, and they don't see the connection to what they just said so they are like 8O :?

i try to wait, i do, but often i find i am already interrupting and about halfway through sharing my thoughts before i am aware of the social faux-pas i have just committed. :roll: :D

glenna74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2010, 1:05 am

Yes, maybe random was the wrong word. The facts I spew follow my train of thought... just not necessarily the same train of thought of the people with whom I am speaking.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2010, 1:36 am

Willard wrote:
:roll: I am constantly interrupting people in mid-sentence to interject some bit of random useless trivia that popped up in my head as a result of something they just said.

If I don't say it right then, I'll forget, and who knows they may need that bit of information someday, after all they were discussing a related subject just now. And of course, by the time I'm done chasing my irrelevant rabbit far afield and have completely lost the trail - both of us have forgotten what we were discussing in the first place...

That describes me 100%. It's good to know I'm not the only eccentric guy who did this. 8)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 1:15 pm

Yes. I'll interrupt people, as I feel I'm almost going to burst, with random facts, sometimes about nothing that has to do with what they're saying. If I don't, then I may forget.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2010, 1:20 pm

pensieve wrote:
I always tell people facts about Space, I have to stop myself from mentioning the Big Bang around my mum though.

Religious type? If so, I understand that. I just had a "lively" conversation with my mother the other day over such things--she's the heavy duty evangelical type and I'm closer to a deist. It wasn't a bad conversation, but not really good either; she probably sees me as a heretic now.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 1:45 pm

Willard wrote:
And of course, by the time I'm done chasing my irrelevant rabbit far afield and have completely lost the trail - both of us have forgotten what we were discussing in the first place...
I had that problem for most of my life, but somehow a few years ago I figured out how to peg the beginning of my tangent and I'm now usually able to cover 4-5 interwoven subjects and how they relate then come full circle AND give a summarizing paragraph as to why everything I just said is related to whatever was said that set me off! I do occasionally forget, but when I pull it off it's spectacular (although perhaps only to me). I'm sure it's absolutely boring to other people, although I have one friend who will listen for a half hour or more, for which I love her dearly.

my husband did observe once that when I go off on one of my "things" he's pretty sure I'll never find my way back and he commented at the time that the fact that I do find my way back with such consistency is amazing. he might have been making fun of me though :roll: if we go on tangents together it's pretty much a lost cause, though.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 1:47 pm

But did you know the two moons of Mars are called Phobos and Deimos after the Greek gods?

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 2:28 pm

LuxoJr wrote:
For example, on Monday, people in our class were talking about how great Avatar was, and I started ranting about how it was only visually brilliant, rather than story-wise.
And how it was a bit unoriginal and people got mad at me =P

I agree. The story of that movie was full with clichès and predictable moments. I also agree that, while the stroy was less than satisfactory, the visuals were very well done.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 5:09 pm

Willard wrote:

I will add my voice to the chorus of, "me too!"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 5:12 pm

I toss out random facts, all the time. I like to make people think, and I enjoy teaching people about random things.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 11:05 am

It's a compulsion, but I enjoy it.

Someone mentions something, I pop off the first relevant thing that comes into my head, scientific name, definition, historical connection, explanation, relevance to other categories, so on.

Spelling as well.

pennypincher

07 Jan 2010, 12:29 pm

My son loves tossing out random facts.

smokiethebear912
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2010, 3:01 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Willard wrote:

I will add my voice to the chorus of, "me too!"

Me three!! !

P.S.
KazigluBey wrote:
I'm notorious for correcting people when they say something that is factually incorrect. A good example is around Thanksgiving, I am constantly correcting the false notion that tryptophan found in turkey is the cause of feeling tired after eating.

Tryptophan not the culprit!?! What is the cause?

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2010, 3:29 pm

smokiethebear912 wrote:
P.S.

KazigluBey wrote:
I'm notorious for correcting people when they say something that is factually incorrect. A good example is around Thanksgiving, I am constantly correcting the false notion that tryptophan found in turkey is the cause of feeling tired after eating.

Tryptophan not the culprit!?! What is the cause?

Eating too much as well as eating foods that have a high caloric density.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Jan 2010, 3:46 pm

Oh yea. Random is a good term for the facts I throw out too.

Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2010, 10:15 pm

Yes. I try to say them to a lot of people. Some get annoyed...