Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers - suicide?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nlc
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2010, 5:15 pm

I really enjoyed the book Freak, Geeks and Aspergers syndrome. But someone told me that the author Luke Jackson committed suicide. I hope this isn't true. Does anyone know?

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:38 pm

I googled it and didn't find anything about him having committed suicide.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:43 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:

Yeah right, that's a great way to confirm such things. As if the family is eager to go public with things such as this, especially considering that Mr. Jackson isn't a very major celebrity.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:54 pm

dddhgg wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:

Yeah right, that's a great way to confirm such things. As if the family is eager to go public with things such as this, especially considering that Mr. Jackson isn't a very major celebrity.

I didn't say I was "confirming" anything.

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:56 pm

I do hope not, where did you get this idea from in the first place? Give me as much info as you have & I'll do some googling, but I really doubt it.

14 Jan 2010, 6:39 pm

That be sad if he did

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 6:43 pm

At least, in the wikipedia article there is no reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Jackson_%28author%29

AHAA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2010, 6:45 pm

That is a good book, it would be upsetting if such an inspiration committed suicide :(

Mouldy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2010, 7:18 pm

How could he turn to suicide after writing such a inspirational book about AS? It doesent make sense and anyway i really doupt he would turn to that option.

I love his book ive read it twice now and love every part of it. it sounds very similar to my life actually

My favorite letter is the squiggly! ~ :D

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:31 pm

If Master Jackson commited suicide I would be despondant.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2010, 9:49 am

I think that it would at least be on the BBC news website. The news about Kim Peek wasn't on TV as far as I know but it was on the BBC website.

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2010, 12:47 pm

Marc Seger, another famous autist, also committed suicide.

It's always the best, most talented ones that kill themselves! Probably the creative and/or productive ones have comorbid bipolar disorder. Some autists have happiness at the expense of their abilities and skills, others have abilities and skills at the expense of their happiness... and it can't be changed, and that's the way it should be (I mean, no taking away something stimulating from someone just because it appears to make them sad; they're using what they have that you want to take away to actually make themselves feel better and they feel WORSE after it is taken away.)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 2:31 pm

Bipolar is a big risk factor, but unipolar depression can create problems just as easily. Depression is only less of a risk because you don't get the dangerous mixed state during which you end up both energetic enough to commit suicide and despondent enough to consider it; and anyway, it's more common than bipolar, so more suicides can be attributed to it.

You do have to remember that the suicide rate for most Western countries hovers around 1 in 100; so it's not really an uncommon way to die. Depression, bipolar, and other mental health issues can get to the best of us. I'm pretty sure many of us have experienced that irrational state in which one considers suicide to be a logical option; if you have, you know that if you're that depressed, you could be a Nobel prizewinning rock star with a pro sports career in your spare time and still feel like you were a complete failure.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 3:14 pm

nlc wrote:
I really enjoyed the book Freak, Geeks and Aspergers syndrome. But someone told me that the author Luke Jackson committed suicide. I hope this isn't true. Does anyone know?

I doubt that. There's nothing about that on his mom's website. He wrote two other books, the last one was published in 2006. His mom also wrote a book. Here's a link to his mother's website:

http://www.jacquijackson.com/

CrouchingOwl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2010, 11:53 pm

I once attended a conference at which Tony Attwood spoke several years ago and he mentioned something about said author attempting suicide, but did not say that he had succeeded. Of course that is pretty old information, so anything could have happened in the meantime. But yeah, I would assume more of us would have heard about it if it were the case.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 6:44 am

He didn't commit suicide, AFAIK he has a active MySpace page too.