Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:34 pm

I was wondering about peoples experiances on dating sites and how effective or not effective they are. For me dating in real life is a complete mystery and I highly doubt my abilities to get a date in real life. So I decided to sign up for okcupid. Ive only been on there for 5-6 days and Ive a lot more guys message me then expected. So far its been going good, ive gotten messaged by some creeps tho. I havent been on for long. I was wondering has being on a dating site actually worked for anybody.

14 Jan 2010, 7:38 pm

I used a kinky dating site and it worked well. I met lot of men from it and made new friends. I lost lot of contact with them though. But now that place sucks because they made it a paid site and last time I heard, you can only send one message a day under free membership. In 2007, they limited it to ten messages a day you could send. Before, it was just unlimited. Good thing I met my husband.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

I've never, ever, had a good result using an on-line dating site. IRL, I used a dating club, and got a stalker! 8O :?

therange
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 8:01 pm

I have fake pics up of a guy that slightly resembles me but looks better than me and I've (he's) been getting some decent attention. My real pics got no views, let alone messages.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 8:58 pm

I haven't had luck with them. It's my fault not the sites' I'm sure. For one thing, I don't have any decent/recent pics of myself. Also, I seem to have a problem writing an interesting profile. It seems writing a simple introductory sentence followed by a list/description of me followed by a list of the interests/attributes/characteristics I'm looking for just doesn't cut it.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jan 2010, 10:24 pm

Bataar wrote:
I haven't had luck with them. It's my fault not the sites' I'm sure. For one thing, I don't have any decent/recent pics of myself. Also, I seem to have a problem writing an interesting profile. It seems writing a simple introductory sentence followed by a list/description of me followed by a list of the interests/attributes/characteristics I'm looking for just doesn't cut it.

I read a book, written primarily for Nt women, for how to date online, successfully. A lot of it wasn't that useful, but one or two things they suggested might prove helpful for you. First, get a good picture of yourself. Second, don't feel that you have to fill in all those profile lists in depth. Just one or two word descriptions of your interests. The author's reasoning behind this, was that you should just put down the bare minimum about yourself, because the goal is to meet in person, as soon as you can, and then get to know one another.

The reason this wouldn't have worked for me, was that the authors were operating upon the premise that we would be able to tell if we were hitting it off with another person, just by talking to them. :? Nevertheless, the above described approach might work for some, if not all.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm

Dating sites are a joke.

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2010, 11:30 pm

I've been an off-and-on member of OkCupid for about two years. In all that time, I've met exactly two members in person. Most people don't even bother replying to my messages.

In my opinion, dating sites are stupid and a waste of time.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 9:43 am

I've tried dating sites before. They really are just a waste of time. I tried rather hard around the start of the month on one site, sending lots of messages to different girls, really trying to be more aggressive than passive. Still got zip in return. I got a good pic of myself and my profile is filled out as well as i can make it.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 10:03 am

yeah tried them. As a man seeking woman. I got a few matches and NO replies. Quit after a month... none from ~25 is pretty bad return for my 12.95 as far as I am concerned.

dwh
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2010, 10:41 am

This was a while ago now, but I met my wife on a dating site. I was lucky, I admit, to have gotten such good results so quickly. Of course, there are also the stalker types like the woman who was talking about me meeting her parents before we had even met in person once.

RossMc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2010, 1:10 pm

They are OK. I researched one popular one, Plenty of Fish, and found out that there were more women than men in my area (in the Boston suburbs) and age group.
The OK Cupid website sets up the profiles so that they have more information. They also aim at different groups- In my age group and area, Plenty of Fish seems to be more conventional and more suburban. OK Cupid has a hipper, more intellectual, and artsy bunch of women- lots from Cambridge and JP.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2010, 6:55 pm

I've been on plentyoffish for a little while, and so far it seems like the one thing that will bring you success is having a really flattering profile thumbnail; hardly anything else matters. The whole concept seems like it WOULD attract a lot of creepy dudes, and ye, it seems like most of the ladies are already a little bit prickly about what you choose to say beyond generic "hey, how are ya's." Doesn't seem like a very happy place.

KnightGhost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2010, 8:09 pm

okcupid.com seems to be by far the best. It does take a lot of work for guys though, 3-6 months on average.

otoh, my last date started from chatting with an old friend on facebook.